Help /win7 laptop not starting

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by dessiato, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:18 PM.

1. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

My wife's laptop, Toshiba Satellite, not sure exactly which model, is refusing to start up. The fan failed while we were away on holiday, and a local computer shop replaced it. At that time it seemed to be working when it was tested in the shop.

Now we get an error message saying that there's a problem with the cooling system, and it will not start.

I don't have a recovery disk for the computer.

I've tried the Microsoft website, but it will not let me download anything because the product key relates to a Toshiba OEM install, and it says I must go to Toshiba.

Any ideas that might help?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Have you tried going to Toshiba?

3. dessiato

Not yet. I thought that I'd get better help from Urb, and it's an old laptop well out of any warranty.

4. Pickman's model

Tbh if it was my computer I'd look into how to extract the information from the hard drive, which I have done from an auld mac, maybe the time to bite the bullet, do that and get a new computer. How to Remove a Hard Drive From a Toshiba Laptop

5. dessiato

We need to get information off it before moving on.

6. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

Heidoc

You'll also need the serial number from your Windows Certificate of Authenticity (a sticker under your laptop, sometimes under the battery) to activate.

Although if it's not even starting the way you describe you may have other problems.

7. Pickman's model

Yeh the information will be on the HD which you can take out and use as an external HD for just that purpose

two sheds and keybored like this.