Wildlife photography contest winner disqualified for Photoshopping content

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by mhendo, Apr 28, 2018.

1. mhendo

mhendo Aussie in San Diego

The photographer who won the "Animals in their Environment" category of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition has been stripped of his prize after an investigation determined that the main animal subject of his picture, an anteater, was not originally in the image, but had been edited in during post-processing. Not only that, but the anteater in question was dead and stuffed.

Here's his picture:

[​IMG]

And here's the stuffed anteater:

[​IMG]

:thumbs:

wayward bob, gentlegreen and magneze like this.
  2. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

People are so lazy with photoshop these days. “Oh I don’t need to carry a stuffed anteater with me, I’ll just photoshop it in later.”

3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Presumably it was stuffed after gorging on all those tasty termites in the dead of night.

4. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I think one of the tells was that the photo was a long exposure, longer than an anteater would stay still for.

Then the judges compared it in detail to the stuffed one and determined it was the same creature.

I don't think it was photoshopped in, I think it was placed and then the photo taken.

Personally I don't like the photo and had I been a judge it wouldn't have made it into the last few anyhow, although the bioluminescense is interesting and not something I have seen on termite mounds before.