Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wickwood Tavern - anyone used to drink there?

kevinmv

My mum and dad (Mick and Rose) were the landlords of the Wickwood from 1973 until early 1978. I have such great memories of living there and of the regulars. The pub was a real melting pot of people, we had lots of medical students from Kings, local people who had lived in the area all their lives, the launderette mob, mad Cyril who worked at the Maudsley. Lovely Syd (Queenie) who worked behind the bar, peggie and elsie who did the cleaning, Michael and Foxy from the church, the lovely maltese family headed up by vic and grace... the list goes on. what memories
Sorry its an old post my mum and dad tom and carmelle vincent drank in there for many years

JaneMN

My mum and dad (Mick and Rose) were the landlords of the Wickwood from 1973 until early 1978. I have such great memories of living there and of the regulars. The pub was a real melting pot of people, we had lots of medical students from Kings, local people who had lived in the area all their lives, the launderette mob, mad Cyril who worked at the Maudsley. Lovely Syd (Queenie) who worked behind the bar, peggie and elsie who did the cleaning, Michael and Foxy from the church, the lovely maltese family headed up by vic and grace... the list goes on. what memories
I remember you Tracey! Especially the night you came back from seeing a Queen concert, you Dad telling me how proud he was of you cos you had all your "marbles". Rose & Mick adored you! I was a regular there for the whole of their reign. When Syd's dog had puppies I adopted one. Peggy who'd give any man (not matter the size) a good hiding if they misbehaved. I used to sit in the far left corner with Tom, Rik, Blond Al, Derek, Kay... used to spend the whole time singing loudly! And Mad Pat Collins, Cyril, Ron (aka Da Doo Ron Ron). Very fond memories, and there will never be another Wickwood as it was then.

Philip ORegan

I remember you Tracey! Especially the night you came back from seeing a Queen concert, you Dad telling me how proud he was of you cos you had all your "marbles". Rose & Mick adored you! I was a regular there for the whole of their reign. When Syd's dog had puppies I adopted one. Peggy who'd give any man (not matter the size) a good hiding if they misbehaved. I used to sit in the far left corner with Tom, Rik, Blond Al, Derek, Kay... used to spend the whole time singing loudly! And Mad Pat Collins, Cyril, Ron (aka Da Doo Ron Ron). Very fond memories, and there will never be another Wickwood as it was then.

Philip ORegan

My name is Phil ORegan, my dad Desmond (Des) ORegan used the this Pub through the 70s and 80s. I am also related to that mad Pat Collins As I married Joe Neenans daughter Gabbi, Joe sadly passed away on 22/11/2015 I regularly see Mad Pat Collins Know to me as Guy as we are both Millwall fans. If anyone would like to share any memories regarding my dad Joe and Guy, I would love to hear from you, even better still if anyone has some photos of them in the pub and or other regulars that would be amazing.
Save our pubs .
Thank you Phil.
Ps I grew up drinking in the Robin Hood pub, Tom and Martina were the landlord and landlady,Tom was a lovely man and with Martina Run a lovely pub and we have many happy family memories in this pub as well.

Thank you.

Phil

kevinmv

Well still no more pictures gutted mum and dad drank here late sixty's and seventy's and we had lots of party's and card nights rember Sid and Ron and firework nights and used to play at the adventure play ground just up the road where I stole my first kiss lol

bimble

noisy but small
Well still no more pictures gutted mum and dad drank here late sixty's and seventy's and we had lots of party's and card nights rember Sid and Ron and firework nights and used to play at the adventure play ground just up the road where I stole my first kiss lol
wow - what was the adventure playground like back then ? Lambeth council want to sell it for flats right now. I was wondering how long its been there, would be great to hear if you remember anything else about it (apart from your first snog) :)

kevinmv

Well it was a long way back but always remember a bonfire going with jacket potatoes in it think they always tasted better no health and safety back then we were left to get on with it but always had fun in the place come rain or shine used to play on Northlands Street and Ruskin park before moving to tulse hill wish I was still a kid they were the good old days lol. I can't remember gangs or drug problems but I was just a kid but no angel

Darren M

Owning the Wickwood Tavern

My dad owned the wickwood tavern from jan 1996, his name was andy, i remember mad patsy, patrick and sweet pea, the no necks and baldies, paddy, jimmy, andy cowboy and his son lewis, ray next door, and loads of others!!! oh just in case u rememba me im daisy!!!:) ;)
Did he still own the place in 1997/1998? I lived there during that period, the owner was a guy called Hamilton?

Darren M

That pub was ....

my local for over 20 years. Yes it was a bit quiet, but where else could you get a drink until 2.00am. in the morning and the landlord would lend you the money to buy drink to save you going back home for it.

I loved that place. It is sorely missed! :(

(they filmed an hour-long special for The Bill there once!)

john x
I lived there when they filmed that episode (1998 or so?), remember trying to get stuck into the free catering.

jimbarkanoodle

Quite bizarre to hear Youngs pubs being described as cheap and no frills. As someone only of the legal drinking age in the mid noughties, you'll understand i associate them as being anything but. Although, my dad has informed me many a time that Youngs pubs used to be 'proper pubs' back when he was growing up in Wandsworth.

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
Quite bizarre to hear Youngs pubs being described as cheap and no frills. As someone only of the legal drinking age in the mid noughties, you'll understand i associate them as being anything but. Although, my dad has informed me many a time that Youngs pubs used to be 'proper pubs' back when he was growing up in Wandsworth.
I beg to differ. I first encountered Youngs pubs in Wimbledon back in 1977 - because I formerly lived in Manchester.
I would say Youngs in the 1970s were a bit like Wetherspoons now. "Ordinary" was 31p and special was 34p per pint.
Little variety of drinks available - Youngs had their own brand lager called Saxon which nobody ever seemed to order but they would't sell Carlsberg for example.
This was normal - as all pubs were tied to breweries and did not sell each other's products.

Another issue was the public bar/saloon split. This was more or less univdersal, so if you wanted to pay 3p less a pint and have no carpet on the floor you could do that.