Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wickwood Tavern - anyone used to drink there?

aurora green

Tectonic
I've lived a stones' throw from that (ex)pub for a great many years now, and have supped many a pint there. It was simply a good old fashioned, no-frills pub.
Lost it at least five years ago, maybe more...

cllr

I went there about a dozen times when I lived nearby. This must have been about ten years ago. I recall they had a very drinkable pint of ordinary. But I also recall they were pretty empty. Very decent landlord, too.

Mrs Magpie

On a bit of break...
I was a regular from about 1982 till it closed...Youngs pub...proper open fire, books, decent beer.

William of Walworth

Festographer
I've drank there, when I was staying for the odd week (catsitting) in Harbour Road (not far away) in the early Nineties -- far better than the Coast Bar and others in Coldharbour ...

Didn't even know it had closed to be honest ... :(

john x

That pub was ....

my local for over 20 years. Yes it was a bit quiet, but where else could you get a drink until 2.00am. in the morning and the landlord would lend you the money to buy drink to save you going back home for it.

I loved that place. It is sorely missed! :(

(they filmed an hour-long special for The Bill there once!)

john x

Byronik

Expat Emigré
What a terrible shock to find the Wickwood has gone. It was my home from home. Through 1977-78 I lived in Luxor Street, the only time I wasn't drinking in the Wickwood was when I was outside waiting for it to open. Whenever I've seen an authentic London pub in a movie, I've watched carefully for signs that it may have been shot in the Wickwood. I won't need to bother doing that any more. Cheers.

daisymcc

Owning the Wickwood Tavern

My dad owned the wickwood tavern from jan 1996, his name was andy, i remember mad patsy, patrick and sweet pea, the no necks and baldies, paddy, jimmy, andy cowboy and his son lewis, ray next door, and loads of others!!! oh just in case u rememba me im daisy!!!:) ;)

Pip

My dad used to take me ad my brother there on the weekend after we'd come back from the park/corner shop/whatever. I was friendly with the landlords daughter and used to sleep over. It was huge (great for hide and seek) and we had all the crisps and lemonade we could want. Miiisty watercoloured memoriiiies.....

Pip

daisymcc said:
My dad owned the wickwood tavern from jan 1996, his name was andy, i remember mad patsy, patrick and sweet pea, the no necks and baldies, paddy, jimmy, andy cowboy and his son lewis, ray next door, and loads of others!!! oh just in case u rememba me im daisy!!!:) ;)
I REMEMBER YOU!!!

Traceybs

My mum and dad (Mick and Rose) were the landlords of the Wickwood from 1973 until early 1978. I have such great memories of living there and of the regulars. The pub was a real melting pot of people, we had lots of medical students from Kings, local people who had lived in the area all their lives, the launderette mob, mad Cyril who worked at the Maudsley. Lovely Syd (Queenie) who worked behind the bar, peggie and elsie who did the cleaning, Michael and Foxy from the church, the lovely maltese family headed up by vic and grace... the list goes on. what memories

editor

hiraethified
Welcome to the boards, Traceybs!
It's such a shame that when these boozers close so little seems documented...

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
My mum and dad (Mick and Rose) were the landlords of the Wickwood from 1973 until early 1978. I have such great memories of living there and of the regulars. The pub was a real melting pot of people, we had lots of medical students from Kings, local people who had lived in the area all their lives, the launderette mob, mad Cyril who worked at the Maudsley. Lovely Syd (Queenie) who worked behind the bar, peggie and elsie who did the cleaning, Michael and Foxy from the church, the lovely maltese family headed up by vic and grace... the list goes on. what memories
That is one amazing bump - nearly four years later!

Welcome Traceybs :)

wemakeyousoundb

and calm again
It was a great pub, i used to go there with a friend from Lilford road.
Sometime the landlords would just let us stay in there when tired while they went to sleep, we played pool left money for the self poured pints on the bar and made sure to pull the door shut behind us.

Mrs Magpie

On a bit of break...
I loved that pub. I don't know of another pub anywhere that had such a mix of lovely friendly people (I met some really close friends in that pub) and such lovely landlords. Bernie and Mackie (punters) were the first friends I made there.

Gramsci

I remember using it in 80s occasionally. I had forgotten but the name reminded me. As Mrs Magpie said it was a traditional pub. I remember drinking Winter Warmer there if my memory serves me right.

As everyone here says it was a nice pub. I think , even though it was tucked down sidestreet and not easily visible on main road, it was popular with people who knew the area.

There was some squatting and Short life nearby so it was a varied crowd.

editor

hiraethified
I'm going to do an updated feature on this pub, so would love to hear any more stories about the place.

I always get a bit annoyed when I learn of a closed pub that was still around when I moved here.

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
Nice feature. I can never understand why they paint over or remove the original features. "Market forces" I suppose. I'd prefer to live in a fat in the building as it was rather than with everything painted sand including the tiles (if they haven't been removed).

I remember going in there a fair bit around the time of the 1993 Angel by-election (at the time that area was in Angel Ward, not Herne Hill as it is now).
The Wickwood was far preferable beer-wise to the Hero of Switzerland on the other side of the railway line. Probably cheaper too - Youngs pubs back then were very no frills and their (real ale) Young's Ordinary and Special were always very drinkable, even if their rather pallid Saxon lager was not.

brixtonblade

Did it really only close in 2006?

I lived down the road from there in early 2000s and don't remember it being open

technical

stripey
I lived opposite for about six months in 1994. Two things stick in my mind - the very regular lock ins and the weird gents, where there were signs asking you to drop money in the urinals for charity. I always wondered who got the job of getting the cash out.