Why you shouldn't eat slugs and snails and rat shit

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by David Clapson, Mar 7, 2018.

1. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

This poor bugger is a quadriplegic because he swallowed a slug which had roundworm:

From the Mirror.

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Wait, I thought snails were safe as long as you 'purged' them? Would that remove the infection?

3. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

3D5E363C-CC73-4412-B209-1F119488E93F.jpeg
    May I refer readers to this from the bandwidthz wasting thread.

Celyn, 19force8 and CRI like this.
  4. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Presumably cooking them is the key point here?

HoratioCuthbert, Badgers and Fez909 like this.
  5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Ah, of course :facepalm:

6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

How much needless death and injury could be avoided if we could somehow abolish drunken male bravado?

You'd think natural selection would have solved this particular problem by now.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    campanula, Celyn, oryx and 4 others like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

only if your thinking simplistic and facile. take the man in question, who was 19 at the time of the slug swallowing, easily old enough to have fathered a child.

Badgers likes this.
  8. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Is there a risk of being a father if you swallow a slug or is it just an old wives tale?

19force8 and Badgers like this.
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

yes

Badgers likes this.
  10. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

Natural selection took the decision there should be more human males born than females so we could enjoy this kind of behaviour without unbalancing the species.

Dogsauce likes this.
  11. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

I'm now off to google to get that t-shirt.

Sprocket. likes this.
  12. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

An example of the male ‘accident hump’ in illustrat | Open-i

Adolescents and the Risks That Affect Them - The Science of Adolescent Risk-Taking: Workshop Report - NCBI Bookshelf

http://psycnet.apa.org/record/1992-23064-001

Agonistic behaviour - Wikipedia

When Violence Pays: A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Aggressive Behavior in Animals and Humans

A lot of it comes down to how you define “risk”. From a Darwinian perspective, the risk of not being selected as a mate may outweigh the risk of physical harm at prime reproductive age. Dangerous behaviour can help an individual to compete for resources as well as being a characteristic selected for by females, in much the same way as the otherwise unhelpful peacock tail feathers. Peer rejection is also a bigger risk than physical harm at this age too, since estrangement from the social group will lead to death faster than mere stupidity does. Hence the adolescent susceptibility to peer pressure.

The accident hump linked to at the top is common across mammals generally for all these reasons.

instape, maomao, Celyn and 2 others like this.
  13. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

Thank Chemical needs for the original.

Chemical needs likes this.
  14. David Clapson

When I posted this story I wasn't fearing for the safety of drunk applicants for the Darwin award. We deserve everything we get. My concern was for those toddlers who put everything in their mouth. Rat droppings look very like chocolate.

15. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

My mam said they were chocolate raisins!

Celyn likes this.
  16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I hope the ‘I’m a Celebrity...’ producers have thoroughly risk-assessed all those tasks involving eating live creepy crawlies they make the contestants do...

moochedit likes this.
  17. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

But most toddlers live, generally because of all-seeing parents.

Ah, OK. What I said is incorrect, as a whole lot of toddlers or younger babies do die, but in terms of places with enough clean water and enough food, the toddlers usually manage not to deadify themselves.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  18. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Hmm. Were all the contestants of "I'm a Celebrity ..." to die, would anyone miss them? Also, the occasional painful miserable on-camera death might be good for the viewing figures. :hmm:

T & P likes this.
  19. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

The purging thing takes time, days rather than minutes, so I wonder whether this slug was in fact cleaned up in any way or whether the slug happened along and decisions were only made on the grounds of "I dare you".

Fez909 likes this.
  20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

21. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Yep, I know all about eating snails - 4 years now I've been planning to do it :D

Celyn likes this.
  22. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Well, you see, you are obviously putting a bit more thought into it than this lad did. Actually I think you should continue planning for another year, because .. well ... because a "five year plan" sounds better, somehow. Don't want to rush into things.

Mation and HoratioCuthbert like this.
  23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Seems like it's been over 5 years...! It was just 4 years ago that I decided it needed its own thread.

I still have the small fish tank in my garden that I planned to keep them in. Currently filled with stones, plants and rain/snow :)

24. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert I should be arrested for trying to sing

The WHAT IS THAT IN YOUR MOUTH panic is quite unlike any other. Even worse if you are looking after other people's bairns.

25. David Clapson

The African Land Snails in the village are so big that they must surely qualify as livestock or pets or something. The shop people always get irritated by white people gawping at them. But I always take visitors to see them. It's our local petting zoo. You get a proper bollocking if you pick one up. But they've got no food or water. I've a good mind to call the RSPCA.