1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why The Mirror is shit

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by J Ed, Jul 2, 2015.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Or whether middle class parents who went on the piss leaving child home alone should be charged when said child disappears!

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'm sure there'll still be fruity girls a plenty on the cover, although this is hardly unique to the Express.

3. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I think the Mirror's main interest here might be in cornering the most exciting weather forecast stories ;)

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. stavros

That's very possible. Do you think the Fahrenheit-only diktat will still apply?

5. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

People still use Fahrenheit in this country? A temperature scale that makes absolutely zero sense?

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

That's kelvin you're thinking of. It makes absolute zero sense

Nylock, ruffneck23, steveo87 and 11 others like this.
  7. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

mirrors looking pretty decent to me, maybe change up yer hair?

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

I pay my license fee.

A bit of cognitive dissonance though; I am infuriated that I am compelled to pay for the BBC, yet would pay a subscription for R4 and programs like the David Attenborough series.

9. Sasaferrato

Some of us don't speak Celsius. Me, for example. :D

10. NoXion

Fahrenheit is total bollocks though. What the fuck is it even supposed to be based on?

Celsius on the other hand couldn't be more simple. Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100, assuming standard temperature and pressure. Considering that the surface of the Earth is one of the few places where one can find three phases of water in the same location, basing one's temperature scale on that makes sense.

11. Sasaferrato

Tell me that it is 70f outside, and I know it's nice and warm, tell me that it is 21.111 Celsius, and it means nothing. :D

12. NoXion

it's piss easy to learn though.

13. Sasaferrato

Old dogs, new tricks. :D I'll be 65 on the fourth of October, now functionally retired. Officially retired on 30th September.

NoXion likes this.
  14. NoXion

Personally I intend to stop learning things only when I die, and not an attosecond sooner.

Riklet likes this.
  15. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

16 is 61 and 28 is 82

Riklet likes this.
  16. Sasaferrato

That's handy. :D

17. Sasaferrato

Absolutely, but you do have to consider what is worth spending your finite time on. F to C isn't one of them.

18. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

You've got a phone ffs - just go in settings. You don't have to learn anything.

19. NoXion

Which is why I fuck off the ridiculous Fahrenheit nonsense based on nothing that's actually relevant to my every day life, and just use Celsius instead.

20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

You should try reaumur

21. Sasaferrato

:eek:

William of Walworth likes this.
  22. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Fahrenheit is handy for old people who have lost the ability to accurately sense the temperature of their environment. If some old geezer says, ooh it must be 80 degrees today then nobody will contradict him because nobody knows what the fuck 80 degrees fahrenheit is supposed to be anyway.

23. stavros

It's one of the things that made this country great! That, winning both wars, the weather and the People's Princess (RIP :().

Fahrenheit; it's a good honest British name!

24. Idris2002

Idris2002 this prim barbarism

I never touch the stuff maaaan

25. BemusedbyLife

BemusedbyLife Well-Known Member

It reveals my callow youth that I had to Google "People's Princess" to know who you were on about

26. stavros

What!? What do they teach you in school these days? I blame Brussels/immigrants/health & safety/gays.

27. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Well I had to Google Reaumer which was quite rewarding. Anyway the weather stories in the Express are the most dramatic and far fetched. They have their own tame weather nutter just making things up as he goes.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  28. BemusedbyLife

BemusedbyLife Well-Known Member

I was 7 when she died, she's just another name on Wikipedia to me and reading about her on that I can't see any difference between her or Princess Katie or any other Royal.
    I'm not particularly anti-Royal but what exactly did she do that was so wonderful? Her main claim to fame seems to be that she didn't get on with her Mother-in-Law and she didn't have the sense to wear a seatbelt in a car driven through a tunnel by a drunk.

29. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

As one of said old people I know that aside from the freezing and boiling points of water there are two memorable inverse equivalences between the scales: 16°C = 61°F and 28°C = 82°F.

If you worked in an office and the temperature fell below the former you could pack in work.

The latter always reminds me of the summer headlines of my youth - "60° 70° 80° Phew What a Scorcher!"

God, I have to get out more.

30. stavros

She single-handedly cured all AIDS victims and defused every landmine with her bare hands, all whilst making it fashionable to wear shoes.