Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama ERROR 23 : DEFAULT MODE NETWORK COMPROMISED Banned

Oh, well in this postmodern world your entitled to believe anything you want etc.

I was supplying power for Peace News fest a couple of years ago and we did a workshop where, using Chomsky`s analysis system, we proved that the Guardian is dumbed down and contains less information on current events than its right-wing counterparts. We theorised that this is a deliberate disarming of the left.

2. petee

petee i'm spartacus

well in this postmodern world your [sic] entitled to believe anything you want etc.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

[​IMG]

4. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

:D

crossthebreeze likes this.
  5. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama ERROR 23 : DEFAULT MODE NETWORK COMPROMISED Banned

Ok maybe disarming is the wrong word :D

6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Tongue wedged ever further up Merkel's arse.

7. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

I see they're going tabloid as of tomorrow. Beginning of the end?

billy_bob likes this.
  8. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

One day, the few survivors will look back on the moment when humans became unable to hold broadsheet newspapers as a decisive point in our downfall.

SaskiaJayne, Libertad and Dom Traynor like this.
  9. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

More likely it will help arrest losses caused by buying into the dead end of the Berliner format

10. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

New look for tomorrow teased via Twitter, not even bitching I didn't realise what it was at first and was wondering why a weekly free regional would put Chelsea Manning on their front page.
    DTh8MYCXkAEsEjt.jpg
    General criticisms:
    • The masthead is a disaster zone (wtf is that giant badly-kerned The doing?),
    • The quintuple hairline divider is weird and out of place
    • The red and black balls look like someone was trying to play a bingo game at the same time as doing the layout
    • The furniture at the top is an alphabet soup, though I get what they're trying to do re: teasing content above the fold.
    If I was to guess what happened, I'd say people who are used to having a lot of room to play with have been left a bit nonplussed on how to deal with less real estate. It could well be much better on the inside where I assume there'll be less shorehorning going on, and obv there'll be a bit of bedding in time for it. I dunno I guess it could be worse.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  11. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

I very much doubt that it will be the British answer to Liberation, somehow.

12. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Dear god. It looks like the first edition of a student newpaper where the editors didn't get any handover cos last year's team fucked off on their gap year to Peru before training anyone else up.

13. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Looks shit.

Puddy_Tat likes this.
  14. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

I genuinely don't get what happened with that brand redesign, like the whole thing from the Graun is that it's the calm voice of liberal reason, but they spiked the logo up like they're headed to their first punk gig (I wonder if it'll switch online at midnight or summat for consistency?).

Logo.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

The new logo is utterly terrible.

16. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Yeah, that is pretty awful, really quite shit. Wonder how much that rebranding cost them...

17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

one or two on tweeter suggesting a compare and contrast with

[​IMG]

18. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

More than a slight passing resemblance...

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. billy_bob

Spot on with these. The masthead's the worst offender - they can tweak the other stuff, but they're presumably stuck with the name as it is for a good long while now they've rebranded. It's very hard to read - I keep just seeing ard

Also, the riot of colour at the top is extremely offputting. It's like a typography sale at an everything's-a-pound shop.

Ground Elder and Libertad like this.
  20. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Except one's shit.

equationgirl likes this.
  21. billy_bob

And the other one's even worse.

equationgirl, magneze and emanymton like this.
  22. Pickman's model

that guardian thing looks like the title of some second-rate horror novel

23. Pickman's model

24. billy_bob

Classic case of Betteridge's law in that subheading, Pickman's model .

25. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

They've changed the online paper to match the printed version. It looks terrible there too. As does all the orange and red lettering. Bizarre.

26. bogbrush

bogbrush Active Member

Looks like a corporate magazine or something you find in the back of an airplane seat.

27. Pickman's model

[​IMG]

bogbrush and seventh bullet like this.
  28. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

so Paul Mason's weekly column has been removed - not sure whether that constitutes an upward or downward movement pan-wise :hmm:

29. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Oh, they've colour coded all the headlines to match the nav bar header colours. The problem is that most of it is bright red and then you get the odd bit of lightish blue, super bright orange and beige mixed in - which looks a bit shit and means my eyes keep on needing to refocus as I scroll down the page. Very odd choice.

30. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

Honestly, this morning I thought I clicked on the Glamour magazine's website.