Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Jun 23, 2010.

1. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

3. captainmission

captainmission Well-Known Member

The Guardian on why sexual assault is kind of ok when a democrat does it, or
    The Guardian on shut up women! We've got important work to be getting on with, or
    The Guardian on, when you think about it, isn't Hillary Clinton the real victim here?, or
    The Guardian on well no shit we've disabled the comments

4. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

it's what's going to break the UC rollout if anything is. Much more persuasive to a Tory government than Corbyn bleating or some claimants on a demo.

Croydon "council says it has suffered its own rent arrears problem since the new benefit was introduced. In February it said its rent collection rates had fallen from 91% to 59% for claimants."

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Piece in the guardian on bristol's housing crisis. They talk to a uni of bristol graduate who stayed here and runs a group demanding cheaper rents...for students, a director of hamiliton house from brighton who is also a bristol uni graduate who stayed here, then another person whose represented as 'a worker' whose guess what, a bristol university graduate - then an apprentice (who i think is not from here either judging from facebook - and knowing engineers in the same company is going to be doing very well quite soon), then the boss of a capitalist bank whose roots lie in racist philosophy who lend to students to move to bristol, and who also moved into bristol, then finally another fucking bristol uni student. Not one single non-student incomer was talked to. Pathetic. Effectively a piece about the difficulties posh people face in moving to bristol and pushing the rents up etc for the people who didn't appear in their article at all. The line of kids living in vans by the cemetery 10 seconds away from me for example.

6. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

7. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Pickman's model and emanymton like this.
  8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

"You want the cheese to be a distinct layer, a rich, waxy and boldly savoury contrast to the sweet, fibrous and tomato-y beans below"
    Paging Badgers

9. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I read it, so the thread doesn't have to.

I've read a fair amount of Tony naylor's work in various food magazines, and most of them aren't that wanky. This, however, is absolutely 100% pure guardian wank, and he should be shot for it. For shame, Tony, for shame.

Pickman's model and emanymton like this.
  10. copliker

copliker ...

Best bit.
    Murphy's bar with its whopping prices for teeny weeny portions looks as corduroy horrible as I'd expect.

11. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

Pickman's model and J Ed like this.
  13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I remember reading that yesterday morning then wondering later whether I’d actually dreamt it. But no, there is a Guardian _editorial_ criticising Taylor Swift for not being vocally anti-Trump enough, not just a joke article in CIF.

There was a thing where some of the nuts on the alt right started fetishing her as a nice Aryan girl, but that really was just internet bullshit, though I suppose that’s what powers the guardian a lot of the time these days.

Pickman's model, SaskiaJayne and J Ed like this.
  14. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

No fewer than four pieces of pointless, fawning crap about Meghan Markle accessible from the homepage right now. And instead of just admitting what a craven bunch of arse-kissers they are they've gone for a 'Most left-wing Royal ever' angle. They've even roped in Chomsky.

Pickman's model, sealion and stavros like this.
  15. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Double page spread in today's print edition too.

The Indie had many faults, especially in its latter days, but at least it gave us sanctuary from the royal brown-nosing.

16. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

17. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

18. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

[​IMG]

:hmm:

19. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Leaving the EU means we're all going to starve!

cantsin likes this.
  20. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

a companion to saturdays 'NO MORE DONNER KEBABS AFTER BREXIT'

21. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Apparently, the fact that some superheroes are born into royalty or wealth is problematic. I know I've always found Batman hard to relate to because of his wealth.

22. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

You mean the article about the effect that EU rules on phosphates (or whatever it was) might have on kebab houses, here and in Germany? The one that a Brexiteer could actually seize upon as an example of the pettyfogging regulations from which we would soon be free?

23. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

...prising my kebab from my cold dead hand....

24. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Bit of an odd idea given that the vast majority of superheroes are not born into privilege. Batman and Iron Man really wouldn't work if they were poor anyway. Also Rey is not exactly the first Star Wars hero born into poverty unless Luke is suddenly a minor character now.

25. Orang Utan

Rey's not a superhero either

26. bemused

I read it and pondered how light they are on stories that it even made the site.

27. scifisam

She has superpowers and fights for good (so far) so I reckon she counts.

28. bemused

She also manages to live alone on an Island with Luke without trying top him - that's a super power.

29. Orang Utan

she lives a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, not Earth, and she doesn't change into a superhero costume

30. scifisam

I don't think those matter as much as having superpowers and fighting for the side of good.