Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Jun 23, 2010.

1. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

the two men who came up with superman imagined a golem/hercules/heroic figure so its a reasonable take

NoXion likes this.
  2. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Guardian going well in on the Paradise Papers, considering in 2008 they used a tax-exempt shell company in the Cayman Islands to avoid paying corporation tax when it sold its 50 per cent holding in AutoTrader to Apax Partners.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  3. DotCommunist

The Pale King likes this.
  4. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NoXion likes this.
  5. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

going around "punching" hasn't been going too well for us lately - in any particular weight-division

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Apart from actual punching where we near rule the world.

7. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

Thing is, they spent the money on buying EMAP (with Apax) and put the rest into a long-term ringfenced investment fund. So actually no CT would have been payable. It was just that they left the complicated stuff to Apax. And for a VC fund, putting everything offshore - just in case - is as natural as breathing.

D'wards likes this.
  8. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed they don't seem to be pushing this left, right and centre. No other print paper is going to hammer this topic, so why not break the supposedly unwritten rule and call the proprietors of those rags to account? Le Monde, which I believe is one of the Graun's partners in the investigation, has a call to arms on tax dodging in their comments section today. The UK, being manager of the largest number of dodgy money boltholes around the world, should be at least following suit.

9. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Portentous-yet-down-with-the-youth Graun text:

Illustrative image linked to in the above:

XANAX.jpg

10. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Four is the new five, man.

instape, planetgeli, Bingo and 3 others like this.
  11. DotCommunist

long piece today on the history and going forward of the paper- read half of it. They actually opposed the formation of the NHS, this is blamed on personal hatred of nye by the then editor lol. I struggle to think of any recent behaviour that might be similar...

Nylock, crossthebreeze, J Ed and 3 others like this.
  12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Timothy Garton Ash has the answer as to how to "halt the rise of the international far right". Get ready for it:

"Every time we hear such views expressed, whether in the pub or the cafe, at the football ground or on Facebook, we need to speak up. It doesn’t have to be angry polemic. It can also be ridicule."

And thats it. Shout angrily or take the piss.

13. butchersapron

He set up a foundation for rational debate a few years back. Don't say he doesn't do anything.

J Ed and Pickman's model like this.
  14. butchersapron

15. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

16. butchersapron

The player he's lauding is a fascist.

17. equationgirl

Ah thanks, didn't go past the start.

18. butchersapron

Wouldn't matter if you'd read the whole thing - simply isn't mentioned. And the author knows damn well what he is.

19. equationgirl

Why the dishonesty do you think? The author is blinkered?

20. butchersapron

I think he's been asked to do a piece about the retirement of a great (and he was a great) in a pretty bad situation - but, if they're going to an overview of his career then it needs mentioning i think. So maybe he did include it and it was cut or he was asked not to mention it. Sort of all-round cowardice. There's no way anyone on the football part of a sports desk wouldn't be aware.

Libertad and crossthebreeze like this.
  21. equationgirl

Shame it wasn't mentioned. It's that type of shoving things under the carpet that encourages the growth of fascism.

22. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

Buffon isn't a card carrying fascist, by the way. He has explained away his request for an 88 shirt (four balls, apparently) and his use of Mussolini's "death to cowards" slogan (didn't know the origin, he said). Which is as far as the reasons to call him a fascist go. Not completely convincing, but he's no Paolo Di Canio. It's just about possible that he's as dozy as he claims. And so any reference to all this in an article would have needed to have all the disclaimers. It's not scandalous to omit it.

23. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

'I see things differently': James Damore on his autism and the Google memo

Breathtakingly unchallenging interview with the ex-Google alt right arsehole which lets him get away with presenting the idea that if he’s offended anyone it’s because he’s autistic, with which large numbers of autistic people who are not alt right arseholes are not happy. Though the audience is people who like to believe they’re tolerant and understanding but in fact are very comfortable with the most dimwitted simplistic prejudices as long as they come with a pseudo-scientific paper hat, so they’ll be fine.

Libertad and crossthebreeze like this.
  24. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

This does challenge the above for “shittest guardian article” though. As well as the let’s all laugh at Hitler/discourse always wins thing I like the idea that Pence and everyone else have “failed” by doing exactly what they set out to do.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  25. butchersapron

This, is how this happens.

26. butchersapron

30 seconds on that one btw folks. Let's guess how long he took after his next causally informed post. It could be on anything.

27. equationgirl

Very long article, he does not come across very well indeed, nor does his girlfriend.

28. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Wow, an apologia from Loom. Who would have guessed?

Pickman's model likes this.
  29. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i know you've liked this, vp but others could too Tory Death Spiral

30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

C'mon people, only 5 more likes of the post in the link above are needed. :)

Pickman's model likes this.