1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Guardian is going down the pan!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Jun 23, 2010.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

This is the new Toryboy Guardian editorial writer, nuff said

and this is what he said about the budget...

'Julian Glover: Ideological? Perhaps. Necessary? Certainly

This was not – or at least not only – a Conservative budget. It was horrible, of course. It will produce genuine Labour rage, of course. Many voters will feel betrayed, of course. But the audacity ran in more than one direction.

Without the coalition, without Cameron, we would have had something much less progressive than this, the distillation of a new political daring. This was the budget of a chancellor who believes that the fact government has failed is not the same as saying government will always fail.''

2. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

if you look closely, this glover character looks like the illegitemate child of michael gove :oops:

Dowie, thriller and stuff_it like this.
  3. treelover

The tory trolls, misanthropes, bigots, mysogynists, sub randians are ruining CIF, the G needs to remember who buys its paper version, not them!
  4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

5. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I guess it's like realising the LibDems are actually Tories rather than sensible lefties. :facepalm:
  6. FridgeMagnet

The Sun might not actually be fighting for the interests of British workers.
  7. treelover

I used to love the G, it literally kept me sane during the worst part of the 80's

why I am 'tilting at windmills' FM?
  8. FridgeMagnet

Because this is absolutely what the Guardian has always done.
    GarfieldLeChat and TopCat like this.
  9. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Were you an SDP voter?
  10. tynusx

tynusx tynusx

the grauniad is a damn parody of itself.
  11. treelover

yeah, right, maybe i just wasn't as politically sophisticated as you and others on here, leaving a 'sink' school with few qualification often ensures this.
  12. Shevek

Shevek bldg cstles in the sky

I used to buy the Guardian everyday. The I started buying the FT because Noam Chomsky said it was the only paper that told the truth but I found it a bit obtuse. I started buying the Morning Star but its a bit like Orthodox communism.

I like some of the articles in the Big Issue, there was one recently about the Chinese communist party. I am saving up for a subscription to the anarchist magazine Freedom.

Its not a magazine or paper but on web-tv Democracy Now is quite good but very US biased.
  13. S☼I

S☼I a chord and a pedal and a lock

I only buy the Guardian on Saturday, for the Guide, sport, and the Lit review. Used to buy it every day to take to work, as the quick crossword was something to do in my lunchbreak rather than have a fag (I'd stopped at that time).

But that bloke...I had a boss like that once. Nothing so supercilious as a formerly bullied spotty geek virgin in a position of minor power. I used to like asking him, often and totally deadpan, about his degree in Social Geography.
    GB4 likes this.
  14. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Another one is James Landale, the BBC's deputy political editor under Nick Robinson.

He was at Eton with Boris Johnson and Disco Dave.

Been playing the Tory game all week with the 'wartime spirit' evocation. Last seen doing a piece to camera outside the Churchill Cabinet War Rooms: 'We're all in it together' confirms BBC. FFS.

At this rate I expect an old chum of Disco Dave's to take over from Capello by the quarter finals - assuming we get there.
  15. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Once a writer of editorials, but now a commentator in his own right, and so allowed to flirt with economic liberalism. The difference is quite significant in newspaperland.

But the two aren't parallel. The website is aiming for world domination - and the Internet is dominated by right wing Sepps - while the paper version, as you say, is bought by, um, Urban.

Having said that, Glover commentates on the main paper, but there's always been a pretty wide spread of comment, including a fair number of rightwingers. Ed Vaizey, for instance. Even David Cameron a few times.
  16. I don't even think the right wing freaks (so many of whom seem to be American) actually are in the majority, they just seem to get everywhere and shout the loudest. Having said that, the Guardian has been going downhill for a long time.
    muscovyduck likes this.
  17. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

What Maurice said. It's always been like that. Toynbee is in there today blathering on about economic savagery. None of it is particularly compelling.
  18. Spion

Spion I hear ya

The Guardian has been going downhill for as long as people who once had illusions in it realised it wasn't what they thought it was. I expect it will go downhill for a very long time yet
  19. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

The Guardian has always had tory-ish op-ed types tho - look at Simon 'Everyone in the world is useless except me' Jenkins, for example, and they carry syndicated articles from r/wing journos, politicians etc all the time. No big deal. Telegraph occasionally has a sort of left person write a column.

Altho Glover looks like a proper chinless wonder. At least Jenkins byline pic looks like someone who could spin a decent anecdote down the pub.
  20. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy I killed a man

Liberal voting middle class public sector management on 70 - 100k per annum?
  21. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I don't recall them ever having a glover type with such a leading tone-setting role though - not for the last few decades anyway. He seems to be bossing things there right now - refusing to write editorials he doesn't fully agree with and demanding a leading position as a commentator for not kicking up a fuss about it.
  22. stethoscope

stethoscope without the technical flim flam

This. I used to consider it as some sort of left sanctuary amongst the sheer quantity of right-wing press (and in some ways it is), but over the years I've come to realise that it's much more about middle class neo-liberalism and libertarianism (although for most right-wingers it's bizarrely still seen as being 'left').

CIF's a joke but doesn't completely reflect its hardcopy readership. Besides, on teh internetz you canz spew your brainz.

(I still buy it on a Sat though :oops: ... although get the Morning Star much more regularly now).
  23. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

:D Just looking at the magazines' featured houses/interiors and cars all seems to cater for that kind of income.
  24. kyser_soze

Who's Glover's old man or lady? Usual GMG nepotism methinks...
  25. treelover

good point
  26. butchersapron

I've searched for all the dirt i can on him, can't find any beyond the filth he actually writes. He appears to have been very careful to cover his tracks. And despite that pic above, he's actually in his 40s.
  27. Combustible

Combustible Well-Known Member

I think this must be my favourite Glover article.

On David Laws: "This man of exceptional nobility has been broken"
  28. butchersapron

He should be broken. On the wheel.
  29. kyser_soze

Wow, he looks like he's about 10 in that shot.
  30. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Plus its crossword is a bit rubbish.
    Pwerus likes this.