1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Hampstead Heath in zone 3?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by keicar, Jun 26, 2007.

1. keicar

keicar Banned Banned

:confused:

Hampstead tube is further from central London, but can be accessed with a zones 1 and 2 card.

If you stay on the NLL train another stop to Gospel Oak, it's zone 2 (do you still need a zone 3 card, because you are travelling through the zone ?)

So why is Hampstead Heath in zone 3?

2. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Because South End Green is actually an independant state, and as such outside of London
    The passport control was only done away with in the 70s :D

Actually I aint got a clue, just had a "passport to Pimlico" moment- sorry

3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

they changed it years ago, so the north london line goes from zone 2 to 3 for hampstead and back to 2 for the next stations, i think hampstead (northern line) has always been in zone 3

4. hektik

hektik adhering to a paradigm

it's on the zone 2/zone 3 border.

5. keicar

keicar Banned Banned

So if I was going from West Hampstead to Gospel Oak, would a zones 1 and 2 card be sufficient?

6. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I bet they'll change it back to Zone 2 when the Overground comes into operation.

7. Get Involved

Get Involved Well-Known Member

yes, but are you talking about oyster cards here? don't think you're supposed to use them on the silverlink line. although i notice they're installing barriers at hampstead heath and west hampstead stations when they never had them before - anyone know if this means you'll be allowed to use oyster?

8. Crispy

They're introducing Oyster on the line as part of the Overground initiative (which includes the East London Line extension)

9. Get Involved

Sweet, that's good news.

10. Crispy

11. keicar

keicar Banned Banned

No, talking about a 1 day off peak travelcard (you can buy either zones 1 and 2 or zones 1-4 or all zones)

12. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It was/is in Zone 3 to generate money, pure and simple.

13. Get Involved

I was wrong about this. I originally said you'd only need zone 1 and 2 card (so I naively thought I would be getting better value on my Oyster season ticket), but no, you have to pay extra, even though you've just been forced to go through zone 3 completely arbitrarily, it seems.

I've written to the Overground asking them to explain why Hampstead Heath is in Zone 3. So far I've just received a letter saying my query has been passed on to another TfL department. We'll see if they ever answer.

14. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It's supposed to move into Zone 2 in the new year sometime. Part of the Overground rebranding.