1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does food taste better when left to cook longer?

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Fez909, Sep 13, 2017.

1. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

On a more scientific note, cooking breaks down cellulose, softens fibres & caramelises sugars. All of these things make food less yucky, more yummy. The more you cook it, the yummier it gets. If it turns black & starts smoking, that means you've burnt all the yummyness out & need to order a takeaway.

2. TruXta

TruXta tired

You just contradicted yourself you numpty.

3. EastEnder

Not really, here's a handy chart to consult:

Raw => Super minging.
    Slightly cooked => Minging.
    Moderately cooked => Passable.
    Well cooked => Nice.
    Super properly cooked => Well nice.
    On fire => A step too far.

NoXion and farmerbarleymow like this.
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

If you can still count em, they ain't cooked yet.

/EE on cooking sprouts

farmerbarleymow and EastEnder like this.
  5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Yep, I specifically mentioned stews in my OP. Cook for longer = taste better. Leave until next day = also taste better.

"flavour to be absorbed" - into what? The meat? That's what I'm asking.
    Yep, and assuming two stews cooked with all the fibres etc sufficiently broken down. Eat one today. One tomorrow. Tomorrow's is better...why?

6. EastEnder

Because you did all the cooking yesterday therefore can chillax more with the second stew. :thumbs:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  7. TruXta

TruXta tired

I'd appreciate it if you spared us these gruesome signs of a mental breakdown.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  8. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

Well why couldn't it have something to do with the sauce being absorbed into the meat? After all, marinades exist and they'd all be crap if it didn't work.

pug and mather like this.
  9. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

The flavours certainly do which makes slow cooking worthwhile for some stuff, but obviously not everything.

10. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

As long as you don't play Russian Roulette with week old reheated rice. :hmm:

11. EastEnder

I would definitely consult urban75 first.

12. pug

pug Well-Known Member

Its a lot to do with acids, not so much being absorbed but more that the acids from the tomatoes or whatever are doing work to break down cell structures and reacting with various molecules etc