Why didn't the Northern Irish Catholics just leave?

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by likesfish, Sep 14, 2017.

1. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

its going to get me shot down but why didn't people just permanently leave the shithole that was Belfast for Dublin or London and leave the prods to it?

I know loads did but why stay ?

2. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

A lot did - my paternal grandmother, for example.

Dublin wasn't exactly a Mecca of job opportunities, and while London was (if you didn't mind navvying or skivvying), leaving home isn't an option for everyone.

And the bottom line for those who stayed would have been - why the fuck should we move? We're not the ones who set up a partitioned sectarian state.

3. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Why the fuck should they?

4. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

What I don't get is why the Jews didn't just leave Germany?

5. Idris2002

Also, individual reasons vary a lot. I know a woman from the Protestant tradition whose family moved back to 'Ulster' from Canada in 1971. When I said to her that that was a bit mad, she informed me that her family had very good family reasons for doing so (which I won't repeat).

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

You don't know anything about Belfast history, chuck, or you wouldn't let anything so utterly stupid emerge from your mouth

flypanam, Rebelda and muscovyduck like this.
  7. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Because Irish history is damn complicated, because the Catholic Irish were there first, and because there were people of both denominations on both sides of the border anyway. Why didn't all the Prods leave the Republic, eh? (because despite the stereotypes, many of them didn't...)

8. likesfish

They did try:(.

9. Idris2002

Come to that why don't you, the inimitable likesfish, leave the shithole that is Brighton and Hove and leave the hipsters to it?

10. Idris2002

Here's ex-Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald - Ireland's answer to Roy Jenkins, grapple fans - arguing in 1996 that after 1945, NI Catholics did emigrate at a higher rate than Protestants:

Claim that Protestants are being outbred is a myth

Annoyingly, the table he refers to is not reproduced in that Irish Times link.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. iona

iona toxic clown

Technically it didn't emerge from his mouth, unless he's writing posts with speech-to-text [/pedant]

12. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Why isn't this in Politics?

13. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

That Hugh O'Neill and Rory O'Donnell fucked off earlier though. Then the bloody EU commissioners let them down.

14. petee

petee i'm spartacus

why did the eskimos stop in the arctic, and not just keep moving south after coming over from siberia?

both my parents left the west of ireland, because one was a girl and the other wasn't the oldest boy so neither was getting the farm. wouldn't primogeniture have operated in ulster just as well? so if you get the farm, why leave? or are we talking about urban populations?

15. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Your parents are siblings?

16. Idris2002

As an industrial centre, Belfast attracted a lot of that floating population (both Taig and Prod) who didn't have a place on the family farm.

moochedit and muscovyduck like this.
  17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Always remember reading about traditional Irish inheritance leading to ever smaller landholdings as it was equal shares for all (males I presume) but see that was largely over by the mid-1800s on a quick search. Led to a lot of people taking holy orders too during the initial change, as it apparently coincided with a reorganisation of the catholic church.

18. likesfish

I quite like Brighton and nobody's trying to kill me or burn my house down or deny me a vote.
    Although TBf the difference between one Brighton council and the next is not very much they are all awful.

19. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Bizarrely however much the leaders of both sides spout hate the people have a deeper level of knowledge and kinship, nuff said on that really

20. Idris2002

Not yet, anyway. . .

likesfish likes this.
  21. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

some part of north Ireland are quite nice really...

sister moved over their last year

the politics situation is bollocks mind...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    likesfish likes this.
  22. petee

petee i'm spartacus

oh hahaha.

23. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I jest, it was just 'the farm' as a singular.

petee likes this.
  24. iona

iona toxic clown

Oi Pickman's model where's my pedant point? :mad: You've only given me a 'like', you stingy auld bastard.

Austerity Urban :(

25. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

The new stock only just came in, here you go

likesfish, iona and sealion like this.
  26. iona

iona toxic clown

:thumbs:

Pickman's model likes this.
  27. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Four posts: possibly a new Godwin's record.

28. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music Enforced Holiday

To get some sense of the scale of Irish emigration, the population of the whole island still hasn't recovered to the levels that it was at before the famine, over a century and a half later. To put that in some sort of perspective the population of England in Wales was about twice that of Ireland in 1841 at about 16 Million. Since then it has increased by more than 200% to over 50 Million.

29. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music Enforced Holiday

Oh, and less of the 'shithole':
    [​IMG]Oh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Riklet, Ax^, editor and 13 others like this.
  30. likesfish

thats a lie its not raining:D

girasol likes this.