Why Cotton and mustard?

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. R.I.P.

Potatoes also. And, fruit fly eggs all on the dark side of the moon?

Started a new thread to keep things simple. Anyone read an explanation for the choice of plants taken to the moon by China?

2. 2hats

2hats

Cotton, oilseed rape, potato and arabidopsis, fruit fly eggs and yeast.

Partly because their genomes are pretty well characterised and understood and so make for handy laboratory test beds. Partly because together they can form a sustainable, closed, mini ecosystem. Partly because they would provide for food (potatoes), oil (rapeseed) and clothing (cotton) for any future human settlement.

BigTom, SpookyFrank, NoXion and 2 others like this.
  3. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. R.I.P.

Is there genuinely some belief it might work, or is it as much about showing how it won't work I wonder. Just a bit of a gimmick?

Pretty cool anyway.

4. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Some new stir fry recipe?

E2A: A chow moon perhaps. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

The potatoes clearly a nod to Matt Damon's horticulture skills in The Martian.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  6. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

7. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

It was never intended to work for a long period. The probe is solar powered, so when it entered Lunar night the chamber was always going to freeze. In part it was a flag waving exercise, but it did show that the initial growth phase wasn't adversely affected by gravity, radiation, etc. So the experiment achieved the aims that were set.

NoXion likes this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

They should have also taken some Japanese knotweed and dropped it directly on the surface from the probe as it flew above. I bet in a year’s time the bastards would have covered the entire Moon, inhospitable conditions or not.