1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Why are there different Photoshop file formats?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by High Voltage, Sep 21, 2017.

1. High Voltage

High Voltage Bring on t'dancing girls & put t'champagne on ice

And what are they all for? And why isn't the .psd file format like a "super file" format that can do everything?

With a recent, (enforced) job change, I find that I am no longer in a pseudo-management position and have found myself "back on the 'boards" where I'm mainly using Illustrator but with the occasional bit of Photoshop work starting to creep in.

In particular, I've recently had a job with a CMYK scan in it (picture of a torch on a, basically, solid Cyan + Magenta, dry brush stroke effect panel) - which was fine as long as this stayed as CMYK but the customer decided that they wanted the blue background made out of a spot colour.

Which, again, I was able to do, so now it's a 5 channel job (CMYK+Spot Blue)

But to present the artwork to the customer, as it's going to print on clear plastic (which is represented by a 20% Cyan) the image now needs to sit on a transparent background OR have a clipping path . . . which again, I just about managed to do BUT only after saving the file as 1st a .eps (where "stuff" didn't work as hoped for) and then as a .tiff where "stuff" did work as hoped for

And this got me thinking . . . why isn't there just one file saving option that lets you do everything - I mean it's all, basically, 0's and 1's - so why do some file options recognise transparency and others recognise clipping paths and others recognise Spot colours etc etc

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    editor and Pickman's model like this.
  2. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

There are many image file formats supported by Photoshop but .psd files are the native Photoshop format. They can include layers, paths, alpha channels, spot colours etc. It is a superset of all the other filetypes that it supports. e.g. the .eps file is just a postscript file, created by Photoshop, that can be understood by a postscript printer. It also includes a low resolution pixel preview. The .tiff file format is an older format that Adobe improved on when they acquired Aldous. It supports layers and clipping paths.

The reason that all these formats exist is because they may be older formats, or where a full .psd file is not needed or supported e.g. saving a .jpg for the web or a .eps to send to a postscript printer.

As long as you keep all your master files in .psd format, you can save off other filetypes where needed.

3. Tankus

Tankus random farter

not just photoshop ....My RAWS from my new canon no longer can be read by my fav version of Canon professional (v4) ...forcing you to upgrade ...I don't like the new version

pants

4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

5. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Edited sorry, half asleep! :oops: