Why are Chelsea and Putney said to be in South London?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Orang Utan, Nov 2, 2005.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

[​IMG]

END OF :mad:

2. kea

kea Banned Banned

can i interrupt this love-in to ask a question? :p

just assuming, for a moment, that we play along with java's charade - java, i assume that you accept that SOME places are south london, right? so where's the dividing line? take the case of st thomas's hospital for example - would you agree that elephant&castle is south london? if so, at what point between e&c and st thomas's does south london stop?

3. java1200

java1200 New Member

But I'm not disputing that waterloo is south of some parts of the river; what I'm trying to say is from the perspective of the map that T&P posted, Waterloo is east of the river.

4. java1200

java1200 New Member

That is not what I'm saying; once again, in BIG FUCKING CAPITAL LETTERS SO YOU MIGHT UNDERSTAND:

FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE MAP THAT T&P POSTED, ST THOMAS' HOSPITAL IS EAST OF THE RIVER. YES, IT IS SOUTH OF OTHER PARTS OF THE RIVER, BUT IT IS EAST OF THIS PARTICULAR POINT.

5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It's not an exact science. It seldom is.

Otherwise, cities with no rivers dividing them would have no North and South areas would they?

6. kea

kea Banned Banned

yeah but someone so pedantic as to insist that st thomas's is east of the river not south of the river must surely be pedantic enough to be able to give us a line on the map, eh? unless they've just realised the flaw in their cunning theory, that is ... ;)

7. java1200

java1200 New Member

But that isn't what i said, is it? I am referring to a particular point on a map of London. You can't deny that it is east of the river at the point to which I'm referring. Further along the river St. Thomas' is south of the Thames, but we were talking about a specific point; at the specific point to which we were referring, it is east of the river.

8. Cotch

Cotch Banned Banned

That's lovely, but you said this:

That is bollocks, and you have said so above. Glad you can admit you are talking shite.

9. Cotch

Cotch Banned Banned

Oh you are clearly a fucking retard. Simple question retard boy, with a yes or no answer:

At the specific point is St Thomas' south of the river?

10. kea

kea Banned Banned

ok well presumably the points on either side of it are east of the river as well? so at what point does a point which you consider to be east of the river touch a point which you consider to be south of the river?
    it isn't a difficult question to grasp.

11. Cotch

Cotch Banned Banned

Well for him it clearly is!

12. java1200

java1200 New Member

Yes, I said this: It's not south of it at the particular point to which we were referring.

This is the part of the map to which we're referring.

click

Waterloo and St. Thomas' are east of that part of the river.

13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Perhaps we should refine this: North London is on the north bank of the river and South London is on the south bank of the river.

14. Orang Utan

Yes, but look north and you can see a river. It is the same river.

15. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Not necessarily. The 'east of the river' observation simply points out that the river doesn't divide all of London in a North-South configuration (not to mention that at times is well off centre and closer to the south end of the city than to the north end).

The fact is that we do not need rivers- or lines, or any other physical boundary- to determine what constitutes north, south, east, west and central. Otherwise cities without river wouldn't have North and South areas. There is such thing as Central London for instance, or Central Paris, or Central Berlin, or Central Any City, and in practically all cases there isn't any physical boundary to mark it off. Sure, there are going to be some areas in which is not clear whether they're 'in or out'. But that is true of any area, anywhere. There is such thing as Southern or Northern England, and counties which are neither here nor there.

Had the Thames run in a perfectly straight line through the centre of London you could argue with a bit more reason about classifying anything south of it as South London. But it doesn't, and there are areas north of the river which are clearly not North London (or West for that matter) and areas to the right bank of the river which can hardly be anything other than Central London.

16. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

how long have you been over here?

17. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

what about birminghham btw?

18. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

alle-fecking-lujah!
    urban in 'realising how everyone saaf of river calls it' shocker'!

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. Juice Terry

Juice Terry rama lama fa fa fa

20. PacificOcean

PacificOcean Unhinged User

21. java1200

java1200 New Member

Thgat wouldn't lead them to the conclusion that Millwall is in north London, though. I think the previous poster is referring to the fact that anything north of the river has been deemed to be north London.

22. PacificOcean

PacificOcean Unhinged User

Which it is. Let's not start this one again!

23. Orang Utan

For what?

24. Orang Utan

Explain please

25. It's a funny thread that never reached a conclusion.

Pickman's model likes this.
  26. Orang Utan

So it's not cos it has been debated elsewhere?

27. I just liked the idea of Putney not being considered South London. ;)

28. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I've just 'liked' one of your posts from 2005 - does that help?