who's your favourite sex pistol?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Pickman's model, Sep 15, 2010.

?

who's your favourite sex pistol?

1. johnny rotten

55.6%
  2. sid vicious

14.3%
  3. glan matlock

12.7%
  4. paul cook

6.3%
  5. steve jones

11.1%
  1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Im surprised though if Jamie Reid didnt get paid for the Virgin card thing too - its his artwork after all...

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

There were some complicated legal cases about who owned the Sex Pistols, not sure what emerged out of that. (Certainly John Lydon had to go to court over whether he could call himself Johnny Rotten or whether McLaren owned the name?)

But yes, he may have been paid - I'd be more interested to know whether or not he gave his consent for the work to be used like that.

Pickman's model and ska invita like this.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Clanging name drop: When I met Jamie Reid (at the Festival of Plagiarism in Glasgow in 1989, no less) he was very clear about his longstanding hatred of Branson.

Signal 11 and Pickman's model like this.
  4. ska invita

consent is definitely the issue

5. malatesta32

malatesta32 Not Serb. No, Really!

malcolm for plagiarising situationist slogans and 'never trust a hippy!'

Libertad likes this.
  6. Fozzie Bear

CNT36, Libertad, Signal 11 and 4 others like this.
  7. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Sid <3

8. hammerntongues

hammerntongues Well-Known Member

JR for sure , as the front man , his on and off stage presence and nasally whine is what made the performance different from dozens of others . Sid for all his attitude was nothing more than the Bez of his day ( nothing wrong with that of course )

9. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

[​IMG]

The jacket's a bit more Clash than Pistols - with a few artfully careless rips here and there it wouldn't look out of place on Paul Simenon.

imposs1904 and Citizen66 like this.
  10. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Joe Strummer was my favourite Sex Pistol.

Signal 11 likes this.
  11. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Pete Best was mine.

12. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

How does dying young prove someone is the 'real deal'? Funny logic.

13. ska invita

live fast die young was part of the mythical punk ideal no?

14. girasol

was it? I really don't think it was. Maybe for people who misunderstood it.

15. ska invita

well, it had that attitude. It definitely didnt allow for later years of corporate gigs for bankers

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

no

17. girasol

A few punks had that attitude, certainly not all. Just like some people are nihilistic now. NOTHING to do with being punk, that's not what it was about.

Sid Vicious was a tragic drug addict, it's quite disconcerting people think that's something to look up to.

18. girasol

Before I moved to London back in the day I watched 'Sid and Nancy' and I honestly thought that's what London was going to be like. I was a bit disappointed when I got here, I was about 7 years too late :D

However, I have always been a punk at heart - since I was a teenager. Quietly punk, with its flame still burning inside until the day I die ;) HOWEVER reality and having a family means compromises have to be made.

But even at the age of 16, when I watched Sid & Nancy, even then I realised that there was nothing cool about them, it was all just painfully tragic.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    CNT36 likes this.
  19. ska invita

punk was about not selling out to conformity and the establishment though - and as proven with the actions of some old Pistols old age does seem to have a way of negating that

20. Pickman's model

idols have feet of clay shock

21. girasol

yeah, old age seems to equate to becoming the establishment. Or maybe JR has some massive debts he needs to get rid of. Either way, I still love what he has to say and how he thinks. He was the brains and gob of the Sex Pistols. So much energy and the intense eyes!!!!

And I'm glad he didn't die young! He still comes across as quite unique and interesting in interviews.

22. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Are those the only options? I certainly hope not.

23. Pickman's model

i would rather lydon did what he wanted to do than what everyone else thinks he should do. someone like vivian westwood, now she's a lickspittle.

24. Pickman's model

it's worse than that

25. Sea Star

Sea Star ...

Despite his problems with drugs Syd had a personality that shone through. I am not a death worshipper and I do not condone a junkie lifestyle, but one thing is for sure, Syd wasn't in it for the money nor for a career. Sad that he died, but I don't see him as tragic at all.

26. Sea Star

Sea Star ...

There was nothing cool about their lives but they were cool people who hit the buffers. I don't think either wanted to die particularly and I find that aspect heartbreaking.

27. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I met Mr. Ritchie once. He was a bit of a twat - one of those people who gave absolutely no thought to the consequences of their actions - who stubbed a cigarette out on my mate "for a laugh", then relied on his clique to get him out of a hole. His life once he was in the Pistols pretty much was a continuation of his not giving a fuck about anyone or anything but himself. I felt sorry for his addiction, and the fact that he was surrounded by morons who fed his appetites and insecurities, but out of the Sex Pistols, he was the least talented and least likeable person.

girasol likes this.
  28. ViolentPanda

Nope. "Live fast, die young" pre-dated punk by about 20 years.

29. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I was 14. I thought he was cute :oops:

Sea Star likes this.
  30. ViolentPanda

Nothing wrong with that if you like a bit of rough! :p

moose likes this.