Who's going football tomorrow..??

Discussion in 'football' started by Andy the Don, Nov 21, 2008.

1. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

I went to the Mem today to watch us beat them 'orrible green monsters 2-1 in our 'local' derby (Port Vale are closer to us than those clowns ffs!). Probably the most entertaining game of the season, we went 1-0 up with one of those weird goals that everyone down the other end (ie us) was in two minds about whether it had gone in until all the players started running around like loons. Then Gargoyle got a dodgy equaliser just before half time before we ran them ragged in the second half. Kaid Mohamed celebrated his winner right in front of us, all shirt removing and kiss blowing etc before getting booked for his trouble. The sun was shining, everyone was happy (except their 1400 supporters) and we're now the same number of points off the top seven as we are the bottom two.

It's about this time of year that we hit a tiny bit of form and some lunatics start saying we can still make the play offs :hmm:

2. JTG

So, if we beat Dagenham on Tuesday and results go our way...

Oh shut up Jittug :facepalm:

3. JTG

Have sorted ticket and travel to London for our game at Wimbledon on Saturday :cool: Also sorted the necessary for Fratton Park at Easter. Should take a fair sized traveling army to Pompey :)

Despite the relegation scare (should be OK now :hmm: ) it's a good time to be a Rovers fan. The whinging minority have decided to stop cocking about and we've got the all clear to go ahead with our shiny new 21,000 ground at UWE. 1.5 miles away from where we are now, surrounded by Rovers supporting suburbs and estates, near two railway stations and walking distance from my house. What's not to like :)

4. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Is it 'lego' identikit, or 'bowl' identikit?!

5. JTG

'Bigger than your dump' identikit

6. Onket

Got any links to plans, etc?

7. JTG

8. Onket

9. JTG

Did you not click on the link then :confused:

10. Onket

Just goes to google.

11. JTG

An excellent starting point for research :)

Anyway, yes it's a bowl thing. Not ideal but there you go, it means we can actually have women's toilets that aren't portaloos and set our ambitions higher than the bottom two divisions.

Let's not fight, we're about the only two people here who actually go to the game

12. Onket

I'm only ribbing you.

On a serious note- I would be genuinely gutted if my team moved to a new identikit stadium, though, and would strongly oppose the plans.

I'm not saying our current ground is fantastic, far from it. :D

You've got terracing too, I'd be gutted to lose that. Your rivals accross the city are getting 'Safe Standing' put in, remember.

13. JTG

Our rivals across the city could be installing gold plated jacuzzis for all, they'd still be cunts

And anyway, safe standing is only for the rugger tits who Lansdown has conveniently bought up so he can fleece them for rent and probably salt it away in his tax-avoiding Channel Islands home. Cunt

14. Onket

It's only for the rugby *now*, but when they change the rules they will have it ready to go for the football too. I hope they've planned your new place with steps big enough to be converted at some point in the future.

15. JTG

No idea tbh, obv I hope so

But I don't have many romantic hang ups about playing football in a ground with a tent at one end, few women's toilets and a family enclosure with an absolutely shocking view. I'm sure I'll get dewey eyed about standing etc but not about the rest

16. Onket

I will miss going to your ground, even if you don't. Proper football ground, where football is meant to be played, not some soulless bowl where you sit hunched over with your knees either side of your head, shins bruised on the back of the plastic seat in front, etc, etc.

17. JTG

At least it's not going to look like bloody Oxford :D

Onket likes this.
  18. JTG

And yeah, when it's packed and we're flying it can absolutely rock. But, you know, I'd like to see us higher than where we are before I die as well

19. Onket

You don't need a new stadium to do better than narrowly avoid relegation to the conference.

20. chintz

chintz cider driven madness

Im with Onket, I would hate a new ground, although it has to be said The County Ground has seen better days.
    I was talking to my boy about the "new stand" he said why do you say new stand, I say it is a new stand , cue withering look Dad its over 20 years old :rolleyes:

21. JTG

That's OK, I don't want Swindon to have a new ground

With the other lot redeveloping their ground too, it's about survival. If c*ty move forward and we don't, I can't see much of a future for Rovers anyway. This way, I could see both Bristol clubs playing a couple of divisions higher. I'd stomach them being up there so long as we have a future beyond clinging to an antiquated home

22. Onket

[​IMG]

chintz likes this.
  23. chintz

I used to love standing in that terrace , when the away fan had the bit up by the Stratton Bank. Never went upstairs though, not sure if I can ever remember the top section being open

Onket likes this.
  24. Onket

I used to stand just under the low roof of the upstairs bit, about 20 ft in from the away fans fence. Stood there from 1990 until they knocked it down. I don't think I ever went there when upstairs was open so God knows when they closed it.

I loved that stand. :(

25. JTG

Top deck of the Shrivy Road was condemned mid 80s, maybe post Bradford?

26. Onket

Perhaps. The rumours I heard when I used to stand in there was that it was closed as it was unsafe in high winds. But fuck knows. I spose I could check....

27. chintz

Sounds right, I think it might have had wooden seats

28. JTG

Was going to check in Football Grounds of Great Britain but can't find it anywhere atm

29. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Taking my 5 yr old to his first, and probably his last for a while, Premiership game tomorrow v Crystayl Palace!

30. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

Super Bees at home to Notts County tomorrow, could do with getting back to winning ways to ensure automatic promotion remains within our grasp.