Who would like to abolish the BBC Licence fee?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by weltweit, May 10, 2019.

?

Who would like to abolish the BBC Licence fee?

1. I would like the Licence fee completely abolished?

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. I would like the licence fee to only apply for using BBC content

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  3. I would like the BBC to be fully funded by adverts

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I currently pay the licence fee, I receive TV so I have to

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  5. I currently don't pay the licence fee and am not obliged to

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. The licence fee is just too much, I would happily pay if it was 50% the current level

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. I am happy to pay but the revenue should be split with all broadcasters

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. I could have thought up way better poll questions, weltweit you suck!

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Another benefit from funding the BBC from general taxation is that the mechanism for collecting the licence fee, which must have cost, can be eliminated, which would be a saving. I wonder how much it costs to collect the licence fee at the moment?

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

If it was that important to the nation it could now just be added to income tax whether you own a set or not.
    The licence fee model goes back to the days of one set per 6 households which we've long since passed.

3. weltweit

I think the licence fee is a bit unfair, and expensive to administer, and out of date, I would much prefer general taxation to fund the BBC.

On the ad model, I accept that it isn't popular and I am not recommending it but I was just at a house of a woman who tevo'd all her favourite programs to watch when she wanted and she just fast forwarded through all the ads in a moment.

4. Gromit

I've pretty much fast forward all the ads since Sky brought in live pause. I also fast forward the safety car in F1. In fact I can't think of many things I watch live.

5. hash tag

hash tag member

Far from scrapping the licence fee, many pensioners are now going to have to pay for it
    BBC News - TV licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee
    Blanket free TV licence for over-75s scrapped

On a theme, I really think television should be free for hospital patients. It cost quite a bit down here :(

dylanredefined likes this.
  6. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Should be free for all pensioners and patients.

Proper Tidy likes this.
  7. Gromit

Even pensioners driving around in brand new jags, living alone in 4 bedroom mansions with sky satalites on the side of the building?

8. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The government did this, and left the BBC to figure out and implement the consequences.

9. The39thStep

You have a problem with that?

10. Gromit

Not if 18 year olds with no house, no car and no Sky subscriptions can have it for free too.

11. mauvais

I do - why not?

12. The39thStep

You think that 18 year olds should get what pensioners get ?

13. The39thStep

What's your problem ?

14. mauvais

It's a fundamental: public services should be most heavily funded by those who can afford it most, progressive rather than regressive taxation. Why give discounts to the rich?

mx wcfc likes this.
  15. Gromit

I can think of no reason that a pensioner should get it that doesn't apply to everyone else including 18 year olds

16. The39thStep

Not against that as a general principal . However a) Where does that leave the flat fee for the BBC licence? B) the abolition of the license fee for 75 year olds ?

17. The39thStep

would that apply to all discounts and benefits that pensioners receive or just the BBC license ?

18. weltweit

The flat fee means that a single person with one TV and one income pays the same as perhaps a family with two incomes and three televisions. Looked at that way it does not seem so fair.

The39thStep likes this.
  19. The39thStep

Just realised there are two threads on this .

20. mauvais

What's been implemented is a very rough, very poor approximation of that, bringing in means testing for an otherwise regressive tax. Shit though because it's not a sliding scale, not necessarily a good measure, and processing benefits isn't remotely the BBC's job.

21. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Grateful for what I have.

E-mail your MP, ask them for their view, and what they intend to do.

22. Gromit

How about you answer a question instead of just asking them?
    What makes pensioners so special or this service so special to them that they deserve a benefit against it?

There are many specific benefits for pensioners that I agree with (such as winter fuel allowance) that aren't worth the expense of means testing considering how loss of life or physical hardship is a potential consequence. I've yet to hear of someone dying of BBC withdrawal.

23. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Jive Miguel, he’s in from Bogotá..

Make Chris Grayling Culture Secretary and he will finance a budget so we all get free telly.

24. The39thStep

Hurrah for the abolition of free licenses for the over 75s kind of logic .

25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Loneliness and isolation have real consequences. Don't be crass.

26. mauvais

This factored into the thinking behind, or at least what was said about, the BBC decision.

27. Gromit

I'm not. Anything the BBC can do to affect loneliness and isolation can be done just as well by ITV, Channel4 & Channel5. What makes withdrawal of the BBC special?

Also 18 year olds in poor rural communities are just as vulnerable to loneliness and isolation. I know this because I dealt with structural funding in such areas.

28. Gromit

Not an answer to my question.

29. Gromit

Should probably point out the main reason pensioners got free telly licences...

They vote. In droves.
    It was a bribe.

Why wasn't it previously removed?
    Pensioners vote. In droves.

Why is it being removed now?
    Brexit muddies the voting waters right now. Which topic do pensioners feel more strongly about right now?

30. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

You really are a horrible person. I feel sorry for you.