Who would like to abolish the BBC Licence fee?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by weltweit, May 10, 2019.

?

Who would like to abolish the BBC Licence fee?

1. I would like the Licence fee completely abolished?

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. I would like the licence fee to only apply for using BBC content

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  3. I would like the BBC to be fully funded by adverts

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I currently pay the licence fee, I receive TV so I have to

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  5. I currently don't pay the licence fee and am not obliged to

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. The licence fee is just too much, I would happily pay if it was 50% the current level

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. I am happy to pay but the revenue should be split with all broadcasters

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. I could have thought up way better poll questions, weltweit you suck!

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

What about the income the BBC makes from selling content and formats abroad, how much of their funding does this amount to?

2. weltweit

How would pay per view work in the case of the BBC?

3. weltweit

I find the Licence fee another not insignificant tax on living. It is not insubstantial.

4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Well this is where technology is making the lf a bit anachronistic. I watch tv on a computer. I don't even own a tv. They have introduced new laws to try to deal with this, but it's becoming increasingly absurd. Watch a film on Sky on your computer, fine. Watch a single second of a football match or tennis match live, and you're breaking the law.

farmerbarleymow and 8115 like this.
  5. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I assume you mean the Beeb. But people on low incomes aren't eligible for free licenses so I'm still confused.

Celyn and Saul Goodman like this.
  6. littlebabyjesus

I'd be all for a concessionary rate. Be worth it for the Daily Mail frothing alone. Benefits scroungers get free tv to lounge about in front of all day. :mad:

7. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

But the beeb isn't free :confused:
    I haven't watched live TV in 20 years, but there's nothing I want to see that I haven't seen or can't see. I just choose not to pay for it.

8. hash tag

hash tag member

A blind person has a discounted fee as do others in care homes.
    BBC also offers programmes with signing and subtitles.

9. Saul Goodman

How very nice of the BBC.
    Blind people should get a free TV license, not a discount. The same applies to people in care homes, as they have to share the TV with a room full of people, and fight over which channel to watch.

10. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

But that's got nothing to do with being on a low income so I'm still confused.

Celyn and Saul Goodman like this.
  11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I thought that line became a lot thinner since the DCMS was formed in 1997 and took-over receipt of the Licence Fee before paying for the BBC from its coffers? Which makes the funding operation much closer to a general taxation model than anyone involved might like to admit.

Plus that the increase in income from BBC Worldwide (formerly BBC Enterprises) which has risen to the point where a full quarter of BBC funding comes from its fully commercial operations.

12. hash tag

hash tag member

Would you rather have pay for view, paying a few to a profit making company run by someone like Murdoch, which is what BBC could become.

mx wcfc likes this.
  13. littlebabyjesus

BBC Worldwide is very largely a problem, imo, rather than any kind of solution. We should not have to pay/watch adverts to watch old BBC programmes. We've already paid for them with the licence fee and they should all be freely available online - that ought to be made part of the deal of the BBC now that the technology is there to do it. Sell abroad, fine, but don't sell back to us stuff we already own.

kabbes and SpookyFrank like this.
  14. Saul Goodman

That's exactly what the BBC is now. The only difference is you don't have a choice in whether or not you wish to pay the fee, and you have to pay whether or not you watch anything!

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

Billboards everywhere promoting BBC shows as well. How that can be a valid use of licence payers' money I've no fucking clue.

kabbes likes this.
  16. littlebabyjesus

Nah it's not. I am exasperated by the BBC in many ways, particularly by the way it wastes money paying a few idiots vast sums due to some mystical 'talent' they are supposed to have, but it is very very different from Sky or other for-profit media.

8115, Maggot and hash tag like this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag member

Some other channels are very right wing, have adverts, also sponsored programmes and product placement. On the whole, the BBC is strictly a not for profit, independent organisation.

mx wcfc likes this.
  18. existentialist

existentialist The sausages need an explanation

I'm torn.

I spent quite a few weeks working in the US back in the 1990s, and was so appalled by a) the quality of television, and b) NPR's relentless solicitation of pledges and donations, that I came back to the UK thinking "thank goodness we have the BBC".

And either I've got pickier, or the quality of programming has declined, to the point that I watch barely any TV (BBC or otherwise now), and am even more disinclined to prop them up with a licence fee when I see how supine the BBC has become to the prevailing government over the last 10-20 years.

But - and this probably isn't even their fault - the thing that turns me agin the licence fee most of all is the oppressive and threatening approach used to get people to sign up to the licence. Within a day of moving in to this flat, I had a thuggish letter from the TV licensing authority that said, in terms, "we're 'avin' you, son, for watching a tell. SIgn up or else". Fuck off. I took a fairly instant decision right there.

kabbes, Celyn and Saul Goodman like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag member

AND the corporate channels rip you off encouraging you pay to vote for a performing dog and then use the information collected as a marketing tool or sell the data on, while promoting shut food, products, companies. Want better quality like panorama, question time, art documentaries, historical documentaries or trash like I'm a celebrity, pay to vote for me and we will also sell your data on.

20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Not to let the bastards in I hope

Celyn likes this.
  21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

mebbe they should have a subscription-only iplayer for past programmes, so they don't have to sell their old shows to Netflix to stream.

22. hash tag

hash tag member

I will not give money to shisters like sky, Amazon, virgin etc. Corporate, greedy, money grabbing, unethical Bastards that they are.
    If your ethics permit you to do that, fine. It's Not for me.

mx wcfc likes this.
  23. existentialist

existentialist The sausages need an explanation

I didn't read all those longdog posts without picking up a trick or two along the way, you know... :D

SpookyFrank and Pickman's model like this.
  24. Pickman's model

So who are you happy to give money to?

Saul Goodman likes this.
  25. Saul Goodman

The only difference is the amount people have to pay, because everyone has to pay. At least with those 'for profit' organisations, you get a choice to pay/not pay for the service, and a choice in what you watch if you do pay for it.

Anyone stupid enough to pay to vote for some shite on the TV deserves anything and everything resulting from their stupidity.

26. Saul Goodman

I'm guessing every other "Corporate, greedy, money grabbing, unethical Bastard" not on his list :D

BristolEcho and Pickman's model like this.
  27. hash tag

hash tag member

28. Pickman's model

Which corporations pass the hash tag ethics test?

29. Saul Goodman

Maybe you're well off enough to pay those higher prices than some of us.

30. Saul Goodman

Are you suggesting that people who have no choice but to buy from the cheapest supplier have no ethics?