Who wants to organise a London Walk?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Maggot, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Go for it!

I'm not organising any more walks as no-one came to the last one I did. :(

2. editor

editor hiraethified

I've got some great walks up my sleeve, but they're all a short train ride outta London.

I'll see if there's any good London ones...

3. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Update

May:
    Sat 10th Brixton Murals Walk boohoo

Sun 11th Haringey River Walk/Pub Crawl Stig

Friday 16th Christorian Evening Walk

June: How about doing toblerone3's A-Z walk?

July: Tooting walk and picnic? Iemanja?

August - December: Up for grabs

I've got loads of possible walk routes. Happy to fill any gaps etc, but there have been some cracking walks suggested by others in the past that we have yet to do :)

4. zora

zora true to the crab

Actually, the July Tooting adventure is looking a bit shaky now because between the trip to Spain and the Lambeth Country show and people's other holiday plans there don't seem to be many weekends left in July. :eek:

We'll know more after the Tooting walk committee (boohoo, Iemanja and I) has convened on Sunday. :cool:

5. boohoo

boohoo No.

i like this.... The Tooting Walk Committee... what's our mission statement? What do we represent? :D

6. boohoo

boohoo No.

Where's your Camberwell one gone, young lady????

:)

7. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I like all the others... can do mine any time. Will happily do a walk but reckon wading up Deptford Creek will take priority. Will let y'all know. Up the workshy!

8. d.a.s.h

d.a.s.h New Member

toblerone3 has kindly encouraged me to refloat the idea of a Thames Estuary walk.

This would involve a train to Dartford, then crossing the river via ferry to Tilbury, and then walking along the river to East Tilbury, from where a train can be caught back to central London. Total length of walk, about 7-8 miles. A very varied walk with plenty of interest along the way, including sites of historic interest, industrial dereliction, impressive views and several pubs.

The walk would have to be on a Saturday (no ferries on Sundays) . . . how about sometime in June?

9. Maggot

That sounds great!

If you could avoid June 21st that would be good for me.

10. d.a.s.h

d.a.s.h New Member

How about Saturday the 7th of June? Should be soon enough after payday for most people (not that it's that dear to get to Dartford and back from East Tilbury).

11. Maggot

Sounds good to me. Are you gonna start a thread?

E2A: actually Strawberry Fair is on that day, 14th might be better.

12. d.a.s.h

d.a.s.h New Member

Thanks Maggot, yep I'll hunt around for a few pics n stick something up tomorrow.

E2A: Ah forgot about Strawberry Fair. I know that's popular with a lot of people here. Okay, the 14th it is.

13. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

d.a.s.h
    sorted for cheese n bics Join Date: Mar 2008

Modest proposal for a Thames Estuary expedition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a proposal for a walk or expedition going from Gravesend across the river to Tilbury, then along the estuary finishing at East Tilbury. It would have to be on a Saturday. On the way you'd get several pubs, two old forts, a power station, a Victorian rubbish dump, a 1930s-style company town, and a trip across the Thames on a ferry.

In more detail:

1. Train from London Bridge to Gravesend. Gravesend has a pub on just about every corner, going back to when it was used as a stopover by sailors. Some attractive narrow streets run downhill to the river and the old covered market hall is worth a quick look.

2. Catch the Martin Chuzzlewitt ferry from Gravesend to Tilbury. This costs about £2. The ferry doesn't run on Sundays, so that's why the trip would need to be on a Saturday.

3. On landing at Tilbury head eastwards immediately across heathland inhabited by clatty-looking feral ponies that will approach you boldly for food, and aim for the World's End pub and the Napoleonic era Tilbury Fort. Alas the fort is run by English Heritage and costs £3.50 to get in, but you can read more about it here:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/s...show/nav.12192

4. Beyond Tilbury Fort is a good stretch of Thames Estuary post-industrial fuckedness. Visitors can admire the imposing silhouette of Tilbury 'B' power station. A long stretch of concrete fencing is adorned with grafitti, much of it very old and executed with paint-and-brush rather than spray can. There are some particularly fine renditions of Ray Lichtenstein pop art and also some Jam lyrics.

5. Continuing past the power station we encounter a Victorian rubbish dump, in which the waste is covered by a thin hummocky layer of turf. Here and there enterprising individuals have dug holes to extract old bottles and such, with one of the main prizes being 'bear grease' jar lids. Bear grease was a Victorian hair preparation, bit like Brylcreem, and the lids are sought after by collectors. Some can fetch up to £200.

6. The rough path continues eastwards along the Estuary, past shingle, rotting boat hulls and shattered concrete structures whose original purposes can only be guessed at. Hardly anyone comes along here.

7. Coalhouse Fort is reached, and a bit more of it can be seen without paying than Tilbury Fort. More about it here:

http://www.coalhousefort.co.uk/

From here we would head inland towards East Tilbury and the train home.

8. East Tilbury was originally home to the Bata shoe factory and retains some of the feel of a 1930s company town. Tomas Bata was a paternalistic employer and provided housing and other facilities for the workforce. There's a reasonable pub just before you get into East Tilbury proper. Trains from East Tilbury run to Liverpool Street.

All in quite a long day out, with around 8-10 miles walking, but full of variety and interest, and good for photographers too.

What do people reckon?

Fantastic I would be up for this on June 14th :)

14. Maggot

Do we go to Gravesend or Dartford? :confused:

15. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Yes it is a bit confusing. The original proposal was to go to Gravesend, but the repost from DASH mentions Dartford. :confused:

Perhaps a good idea would be to arrange to meet at a specified time and place at London Bridge with a view to catching a specific train (The Estuary Train). Perhaps with arrangements to meet up with people at Gravesend or Dartford.

But there should a few more replies on this thread from people who are up for this first

What do people think?

16. d.a.s.h

d.a.s.h New Member

Dammit it's Gravesend not Dartford! Dunno why I put Dartford :oops:

A very frequent service runs to Gravesend from London Bridge on a Saturday. Anyway will bung this up as a thread now a firm date is being proposed. It'll probably sink like a shopping trolley into the Thames mud, but if you don't ask, you ain't gonna get.

17. boohoo

boohoo No.

Right so where are we with walks?

The Tooting walk... with Zora on behalf of Iemanja..... was thinking maybe a photography, shopping and food walk for that one ( can find some facts I'm sure) So when would people like this one?

What happen to Mango5's Camberwell Walk??? *waggles finger in her direction*

I am also planning a Brixton and local area curiosity walk....

Anyone else want to do anything or do I just nab some dates for things?

18. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

What do you reckon?

19. boohoo

boohoo No.

I reckon I just ago ahead and do it and if people turn up they turn up....

so what's the answer about Camberwell walk then????

20. Maggot

Can you avoid 17th Oct as Christorian is planning to do a Chelsea one then? Cheers.

21. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

There's going to be a walk in New Cross on the 30th October

http://members.lycos.co.uk/skitster/

It sounds really good:cool: Anyone else planning on coming?

22. boohoo

boohoo No.

ohhh...that looks goood...:D

23. Maggot

I might be up for that too, as it's nearly halloween.

24. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

25. Prince Rhyus

Prince Rhyus Spokesman of King Antonio

Camberwell in the morning
    Camberwell in the evening
    Camberwell at supper time

Oh...sorry, I thought it said Canderell :oops:

26. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

this was ace :cool:

27. Maggot

Blimey Tufty! Where you been? Glad you enjoyed the walk.

28. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I wanted to go, but had something else on unfortunately :(

How about a Camberwell walk on Sunday 16th November?

29. Maggot

That sounds good to me. Think I'll be in the area anyway. :)

30. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

That might be a good way to blow away the cobwebs after my birthday! :)