Who wants to organise a London Walk?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Maggot, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

We haven't had a walk since October, and I was wondering if any veterans are interested in sorting one out. We could even revive the research bit too!

For the uninitiated, London walks start in a pub, then a bit of a walk (usually about 2-3 miles), with a pub en route and finish in a pub. Sometimes the organiser will do some research on the area which we are walking through, or even allocate bits to other people.

2. editor

editor hiraethified

Eme had a really ambitious Brighton one which included an open top bus trip over the Downs, but maybe that would be better for the summer? Or if we're feeling 'all weather' enough, a coastal walk taking in the old Brighton pier and a shuffle up to Hove could be fun. And there's lots of lovely pubs in Brighton!

What about a Thames side walk west from Putney - maybe taking in Richmond Park and Kew Gardens?

I could show y'all the site of the Battles of Brentford (1016/1642!)

3. Top Dog

Top Dog Well-Known Member

Is that the one going to Devils Dyke and then back along towards the Town over the south downs? Id recommend that one, great scenery, different kinds of terrain (but not too strenuous for the faint hearted), and then back to town and a well deserved pint or 3. I dont think the open top bus runs in the winter months though - there's only one route going out that way - poss. restarting Apr or May.

There's a couple of walking groups that some activist-y types have started doing in the last couple of years, one in london and one in brighton. For Brighton types they could call in at the Cowley Club and find out or if you're london based and interested PM me. There's a walk this Sunday going out into Hertfordshire :)

4. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Hopefully I will come and it will be a time when the new pup can come :)

As long as it is pup friendly :D

5. TopCat

TopCat It's hard now...do it faster

I am up for it, keep me informed of arrangements please... :)

6. Maggot

They both sound good, even if Brighton isn't in London. ;)

7. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

I'm up for doing something - not sure what yet. Maybe a Barbican High Walk safari (poss including a Museum of London visit), but I'll need to do more investigation during my lunch hour!
    :)

8. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

What about a walk from London to Brighton?

Its 40 miles, which would take about 10 hours, so if you started at 10am you could make it down there by 8pm in time to wearily repair to the pub...

9. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Would not be able to.. Think the pup would wear down its legs :(

I would be impressed if anyone did it :D

10. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

I'm always up for doing one.. there's always the Capital Ring waiting to be done aswell.. or my new book "Walking the Blitz". :cool: :D

11. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Or maybe an Iain Sinclair-themed psychogeographic walk around obscure parts of East London! :eek:

12. Top Dog

Top Dog Well-Known Member

hey now yer talking! Id love to do a Hawksmoor walk (Wren's sidekick: routed along the sites of the gothic churches he designed). Done a bit but didnt complete it ages ago. Not sure about Sinclair's London Orbital route tho :eek:

13. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Sounds good :)

14. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

Can we have a list of walks done so far please?

I might be making these up..
    1. Waltham Abbey
    2. Epping Forrest - always popular :)
    3. Grand Union Canal
    4. Sloane Square to a pub
    5. Notting Hill through Holland Park
    6. Dulwich hamlets

15. Maggot

There's a list of them up to last April at the bottom of this page.

The only one I can think of not included in either list is Liberty's one around Portobello and Ladbroke Grove.

16. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

I might have to have a think about it - my bro and dad would be able to help me plan one.

17. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

And my very short Shoreditch City Farm one ... It was freezing :D

18. citydreams

Hi,

I've unearthed a 1947 copy of "The Lost Treasures Of London" - William Kent

We've got a choice of:

Strand to the Elephant & Castle
    Queen Victoria Street to Cripplegate
    Newgate Street to Tottenham Court Road
    Victoria Embankment to Whitechapel
    London Wall to Bishopsgate
    Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace
    Whitehall to Langham Place

Each walk is about two hours and the book contains detailed history, photo's, quotations and comments

19. citydreams

I've never been to Kew.. I think this would be lovely in Spring..

20. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Kew is beautiful.. Can you take a pup?

(trying not to get too obsessed with the idea)

21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Richmond park is pretty stunning too. Deer and things!

22. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Have not been to Richmond for ages..

Love the deer there :)

23. Maggot

Lots of great ideas here! With the right organisation, we should be able to sort out the next few months walks with all the suggestions we've had. Watch this space. Or rather \/ that space.

You're already obssessed :p

24. editor

editor hiraethified

OK.. shall I put my thinking cap on and prepare a Westside Thames walk (Putney -> Richmond/Kew)?

How about Saturday, 22nd Jan for a suggested date?

25. beergut100

beergut100 New Member

A very good walk can be had from Kew Bridge, along the north side of the Thames, to where the River Brent joins the Thames. Then follow the Brent up towards Ealing.

You can start by getting a tube to Kew Bridge, and at the end walk or get a bus to Ealing Broadway tube.

There's a lot of interest along the way. The working boatyard at the mouth of the Brent, the walk along the Thames itself, and a variety of neglected industrial and rural-looking landscapes along the Brent.

There are some good pubs at intervals along the route. Also, you'll encounter very few other people.

Of course, if you're all hardcore endurance freaks, then you can follow the Brent all the way to Brent Cross, where it turns into the Dollis Stream, and then follow that to where it rises on a hill near Scratchwood motorway services!

26. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Sounds good then there are no pup restrictions :D

27. Maggot

Sounds good to me.

How about starting a new thread for the January walk? whilst I use this one to try and organise some future ones.

28. zora

zora true to the crab

Yes! Please. :)

Yes! Yes! :D (Don't have work that sat)

29. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Actually, for ages I've been meaning to go on this boat trip my bro found out about. Apparently there's some geezer with a boat, you phone him and for a small fee he takes you out in his boat to Gravesend, so you pass through the Thames Barrier, under the QEII bridge and on to Gravesend, seeing a lot interesting (and industrial) East Thames. Could do a Gravesend walk or summat.

30. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Sounds pretty interesting Cloo.. Can you find out more?