Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who says romance is dead? Poundland offer £1 engagement rings

editor

hiraethified
Just in time for Valentine's Day too!

Poundland have said the rings are available in a variety of colours are part of their new Valentine’s Day range, and give people the opportunity to propose “before they need to invest in the real rock.”

The high street store told the Press Association:
“These are beautiful placeholder rings because we know they’ll want to buy their own.
“We’re looking forward to the Poundland proposal becoming the way it’s done. Our bling ring is setting the scene for the real deal.”
1579186022683.png

beesonthewhatnow

going deaf for a living
Diamond engagement rings. A triumph of marketing, bullshit and incredibly dodgy business practices.

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
Can’t say I’d be too impressed if someone gave me a Poundland ring.
Since I'm a passive observer of marriage and not a participant, I have a theory, such as its worth....

I suspect that there's an inverse relationship between how much money is spent on rings, dresses, and assorted tat, and the length of the marriage. It probably depends greatly on the people involved, but if the things are more important than the relationship, there's probably not much hope for it long-term.

MickiQ

When my son-in-law proposed to my eldest daughter, he used his grandmother's ring a gesture that she considered both romantic and financially prudent but she did confess later that she wondered if she had to give it back if they didn't go through with it and the answer is apparently not.
An engagement ring is apparently an unconditional gift under UK law, the bride to be can take the ring, change her mind and flog it.

Lupa

My grandaunt had 4 engagement rings. 4 engagements before she finally married.
She put 3 of them into the poor box in the church after each break up. I'm not sure whether that's funny or very odd. But I did laugh when I heard the story years ago.

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
Yep. Which is why I wouldn’t think very highly of someone who bought me a ring from Poundland.
What if they couldn't afford a better ring?

When my parents got married, my dad had just gotten out of the VA hospital, after 18 months. My mom worked in a sweatshop sewing blouses. My mom's ring is a thin 12 ct gold band, with what could be charitably called a "diamond chip." My dad spent his last bit of cash on the thing.

Last edited: