Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whitechapel Bell Foundary to close

hash tag

chillin
I don't think it is a very realistic or viable proposition to bring the foundry back as Nigel Taylor suggests.
It is sad and in the longer term I imagine will will have to compete with very cheap imported bells I guess.

tim

EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)
Is it not to late. Will the foundry want to reform of return, if not, who would want to take it on?
Read the article above about Nigel Taylor. He worked there for 40 years and believes that the foundry could be made more efficient and competitive. As to foreign competition, the only competitors are in the Midlands, which is not that exotic.

tim

The article is quite old and, I imagine a lot of things have moved on since then. Wish full thinking perhaps?
5 months old, but as the foundry closed in 2017 the situation is not likely to be very different now from what it was in February.

I've no idea how practical it would be to reopen, but presumably those behind the petition must think it's possible

hash tag

chillin
As much as I didn't want to see it go, let's face it, It's a factory that's been mothballed for 2 years already. Is it viable to resurect it as a foundry. Also, from what I have seen, people are campaigning to stop it becoming a hotel as opposed to retain it as a foundry....

Tankus

living someone else's dream.
Caerphillys community hall in the Twyn has got digital bells ,no structural stress. no maintenance ,cheap , and the monkey doesn't even have to press a button

blossie33

trailer trash
As much as I didn't want to see it go, let's face it, It's a factory that's been mothballed for 2 years already. Is it viable to resurect it as a foundry. Also, from what I have seen, people are campaigning to stop it becoming a hotel as opposed to retain it as a foundry....
Yes, I think you're right sadly, it's a shame but there it is.
It's an interesting space, I've been in there twice as it was used for this year and last year's East London Art Night.

tim

Caerphillys community hall in the Twyn has got digital bells ,no structural stress. no maintenance ,cheap , and the monkey doesn't even have to press a button
And no campanological capers!

Monkeygrinder's Organ

Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager
I don't think it's within the planning department's powers to enforce it being reopened as a foundry is it? They can give planning permission for various types of use but those are categories, 'industrial/residential/etc'. They can't force anyone to run a specific business.

blossie33

trailer trash
I don't think it's within the planning department's powers to enforce it being reopened as a foundry is it? They can give planning permission for various types of use but those are categories, 'industrial/residential/etc'. They can't force anyone to run a specific business.
No, I'm sure they don't.