1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitechapel Bell Foundary to close

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hash tag, Dec 3, 2016.

1. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

This iconic London institution has sold it's premises and vacates them in May. It's been on the same site since 1739. Will they keep going? It is somehwere I have tried to visit on the spure of the moment but it needed booking, so never got round to it. Sadly I may never will now :(
    It just seems like this place is a real cornerstone of London's (and Britain's) history, a real link to the past where all around it has been demolished and built into modern highrises. Shocked.

1st December 2016

Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd announces, with regret, that by May 2017 it will cease its activities at the Whitechapel Road site that it has occupied since its move there in 1738.

The company intends to complete work on all projects presently in hand during the coming months. It will not be entering into new contracts for the time being whilst discussions with the company's staff and other interested parties regarding the future direction, ownership, and location of the company are ongoing.

THE WHITECHAPEL BELL FOUNDRY LTD.
    Whitechapel Bell Foundry to ring in new era as owner sells site

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Nooooo
    My daughter went school round the corner from there and they used to go on visits. Walked past it every day for years

3. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Kobi Nazrul School? I did a lot of photography there a few years ago and always meant to look into the bell foundry, but never did. It's a real shame it's closing after all these years. So much history!

4. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

yes
    It's a very interesting area all round there
    It's changed a lot with tower house being refurbished and the mosque centre expanding

5. hash tag

Crisis used to have offices just accross from the foundary, don't know if they are still there or not.

6. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Think they're on Commercial Street now

hash tag likes this.
  7. Tankus

Tankus random farter

an ideal museum surely

8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

very sad...oldest business in london...gentrified out after 3 centuries
    beautiful building too
    [​IMG]

look how many yuppie flats therye going to fit in here!
    [​IMG]

hash tag likes this.
  9. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

sad, it's a shame it's not being turned into a museum if it has to stop business.

I'm surprised that there's not been a campaign to save it. Given that it made the Liberty Bell, it would have been easy to get coverage etc.

10. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I don't think you can say it has been gentrified out. They own the freehold, so the decision to move is their own.

Winot and ska invita like this.
  11. ska invita

yeah thats fair enough, though the article did seem to suggest it was the property value of the building that has encouraged the move, as they can cash in nicely from it.

bi0boy likes this.
  12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I imagine you're all going to commission bells to help keep them going.

13. hash tag

I expect they will do you a non comissioned bell for a few quid, though I doubt it would make a difference.

14. ska invita

Sounds like they get enough business.... They're not closing, just moving outwards....

15. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Well-Known Mamba

If a developer can squeeze in 20 'executive' flats at £2m a pop and pay 40% for the freehold, that's £16m, which is very hard to turn down. Hopefully they'll be able to use some of the cash to set up elsewhere and carry on...

maomao likes this.
  16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

They've been going since 1570 and moved in 1739, and again in 2017.

I don't see how it's a bad thing if it helps the business. I doubt anyone is now bemoaning the 1739 move are they? In 2223 they probably won't care so much about this move, they're only 13 metres above sea level at their current location after all.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Miss-Shelf likes this.
  17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Well-Known Mamba

You ever looked in the Brixton forum?

marty21 and Winot like this.
  18. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Well I for one have never bought a bell (maybe a bicycle bell, but I don't think they do them). I think they need to move with the times. Mobile ringtones, that sort of thing.

ska invita likes this.
  19. ska invita

thread's just warming up....

20. ska invita

Its not bad, its just sad to see an iconic and very old building in London be turned into flats or whatever, and lose its 300 year usage - it was the last of an era.

It was always a building that rasied a smile in me when i passed it and i'll miss it

21. hash tag

22. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I'll have the Rover. Another piece of English industrial heritage, now gone.

23. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

It's very sad.
    Kept meaning to visit but never got round to it :(

hash tag likes this.
  24. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Keep Portland Weird

Foundry not Foundary :mad:

marty21 likes this.
  25. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls...

Sad have been noting that place on my travels for nigh on 40 years. Always intigued to know what goes on inside - now I'll never know. Will probably be 'The Foundry' an unique and world class iconic collection of hyper luxury apartments on the very freshold of the city - start 6.9 million or something like that.

Japan has had even older businesses go bust - the current world record is over 1400 years old.

These Japanese Companies Have Stayed in Business for Over 1,000 Years

blossie33 likes this.
  26. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

HISTORICAL
    BELL END

27. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is a bloke who works there who is a bit aesthetically challenged and is the but of workplace humour by being nicknamed 'Quasimodo'. I think we should be tolled ! By god Laughton was good.

blossie33 likes this.
  28. Sphinxminx

Sphinxminx Away with the fairies

I read that it was because being a family business, it was always taken on by the next generation, but this one doesn't want to. Not sure what will happen in that case.

29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

yes, think you're right about that, there was an article in Spitalfields Life - will find the link tomorrow when I'm on my work pc.

Sphinxminx likes this.
  30. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash