White & wet

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by JTG, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Nope :D

I am not really into sports - it's a skinny thing.

2. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

Da, Comrade, da!

[​IMG]

Seriously though how is a sport middle-class?:hmm:

3. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Sports are tied to class more in perception than reality imho. football's always had its middle class followers just as rugby union has its working class strongholds. one of the GB rowers took up the sport because its what a lot of his fellow Thames lightermen did for fun.

4. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

Well that probably explains why we'll not very good at things like Tennis. Shame really, but then if it wasn't class holding us back it's probably be cash or cool, like W. Indian cricket. All the youngsters generally want to play basketball, because they see it as cool, and if you go pro it's cash galore in the yank's NBA.

5. JTG

The reason working class kids are less likely to play tennis is that there are fuck all public courts and the clubs would rather reserve their facilities for 40+ members with more cash.

Actually that's the reason we've lagged so badly in many sports for ages. Facilities.

6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Do you think a day will come when folk stop saying 'Aborigines' and actually call indigenous Australians 'Austrailian'?

Serious question.

7. JTG

doubt it. there's a serious image problem for them based around the idea that they were savages who couldn't be regarded as legal owners of the land, more so than in NZ, the Americas etc.

I've seen the attitude towards them in Australia up close and it's seriously ugly

8. strung out

strung out (",)

what do they wanna be called?

9. Rutita1

I have only ever met one and didn't ask so can't answer that.:)

10. JTG

anything you want to call them so long as they're treated with respect I'd imagine :(

11. Rutita1

I always wondered about the history/origin of the word 'aborigine' even if I knew what it means. Hence my question I suppose.

12. Firky

Plus all you need is a beer can and a carpark to have a game of football.

I doubt they would want to be lumped in with the rest of Australia to be honest, from what I know they'd rather distance themselves from the invaders. Understandbly so as it was only a few decades ago the child removal policy was in effect (the stolen generation). It was only this year that Australia admited to the term 'stolen generation' for it's atrocities to the native population.

13. JTG

Indigenous Australians seems to cover it. With over 200 languages and as many separate nations it's kind of daft to lump them all in together as one group.

14. Firky

Yep, two of my best friends moved to Oz last year and they can't beleive the attitude amongst many australians towards them. But then again, the aussies still use the term 'paki' when refering to the pakistani cricket team.

15. JTG

Australia Day is known as 'Invasion Day' amongst the native population

16. Rutita1

Yeah at least gives them connection to the country at least. I just wondered about the origins of the word and it's influence etc..

17. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

This thread would be better if the title rhymed

Blondes and Ponds?

18. JTG

You often see the word 'aboriginal' applied to native Americans etc but it seems to have stuck in Australia as the popular term.

Indigenous Australians is used for the inhabitants of continental Australia and also the Torres Strait Islanders as a catch all, cos the Torres Strait people are more yer Melanesian types related to the peoples of New Guinea than close relatives of the native Australians.

19. Rutita1

*thinks aloud*

I have never heard of them referred to as indigenous Austrailians ever, unless it was in a sentence like 'Aboringinal people are the descendants of indigenous Austrailians' or something like that.

Can totally see/understand the latin root of the word itself now.

20. JTG

Yeah, on further research I think it's more of a catch all term invented to apply to the TSIs and native Australians, for legal purposes if you will.

I find the history of the Aboriginal peoples fascinating, particularly because so little of it is documented yet they've been there 40,000 years. As I understand it nobody can decide how the hell they managed to get there either given that Australia became separated from any other land mass long before they arrived and nobody had invented boats at the time as far as we know.

Stand to be corrected on any of this.

21. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

The myth that black people can't swim is the oddest I've heard yet, it's like they say in the film Brother From Another Planet, "White people get weirder everyday".

In Rivers-State and the Delta regions of Nigeria there's a culture that give birth in the river because water life (fishing, reeding etc) is so important to them they feel the first thing a babby should do is swim. There are fishermen all along the coast of Africa that spend half their lives in the water, building and running fishing boats, wrestling with nets while their kids splash around in the sea... lets face it you can't be a canoe fsherman in the Atlantic without being a decent swimmer but ultimately I think the myth that black people can't swim comes from the Olympics where Eddie the Eel made his debut. White people all over the world saw this joker splashing around in the pool and decided "This must mean that all black people can't swim" Round-eyed and easily-influenced or what.:rolleyes:

Have you heard the one about "Black people are afraid of dogs".

22. Rutita1

Two good points there...I made the point about 'Eddie the eagle Edwards' on the other thread...is he proof that white people can't ski jump? Ermmm....of course it is!

Why do you refer to that bloke as a joker? :confused: Do you think he splashed about for fun/in a comedy fashion? I understood it was because he actually couldn't swim that well.

23. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

Between Sydney and Athens, Eric Moussambani shaved a whole minute off his 100m freestyle time.
    If the Greece/ Equatorial Guinea authorities hadnt stuffed up his visa application, he would have swam quite resptacble times in Athens.

Considering he trained in a teeny hotel pool and had bog all support, I think its unfair to call him 'a joker'

24. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Its not that black people can't swim - in the caribbean many kids can swim almost as soon as they can walk. My husband and kids are all excellent swimmers for example. But due their physiology - ie, higher bone density and less body fat it take considerably more energy to actually stay afloat which limits speed. More energy expended on buoyancy, less energy available for propulsion. Go swimming with Mr FTC for example and he spends loads of time actually swimming underwater - less energy expenditure innit? (he's also got a phenomonal lung capacity but thats beside the point..........)

If Anthony Nesty didn't have those physiological disadvantages I can't imagine how fast he would have been :eek: It makes his accomplishment all the more awesome:cool:

25. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

Well, an olympic swimming competition isn't the kind of place that people who cant swim at all well tend to want to be, so it must have been a joke. It's not like there aren't rivers and coasts (well, maybe not coasts, can't remeber if his country is land-locked or not) and lakes where he comes from, so it's a shame that a compatriot of his that spends half their life chasing fish for fun never got a chance to compete because they don't get access to a pool at all.

26. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

Black people can't look up
    If you draw a chalk circle around a black person they can't leave it

27. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

No offence, but alot of this sounds remarkably similar in worth to phrenology.

28. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

:D

29. The Bumper

The Bumper Banned Banned

LOST MY HEAD!
    If Black people had the same access to to these money'd sports they would beat the inferior Whites at every sport!

I'm suprised that this wasn't picked up upon, it seemed to be a kind of "I'm not racist as long as I belong the dominate race" type racism. JTG, you seemed to have just picked out a magic-number from the thin air and have absolutely no proof of this. If Black men did have access to "this Money'd sports" i too, beleive that male Blacks would dominate and there is no proof to the contary. Most of the world's top sports men are Black.

Top golfer Black
    Basketball 96% Black
    Football 30% Black
    World's faster man/men: Black
    Britain's top fencer: Black
    world greatest football player: (Pele) Black
    Portugal's greatest football player: (Usavio) Black
    World's greatest Baseball player (Bo ) Black
    the World's top Boxers; Black
    (I could go on)...

Want proof?

Cuba is a country that is about 40% Black and 60% White, nearly even in numbers, yet in all the years i've been watching sports I've never seen a White Cuban representing Cuba at sport. Even their rowers, their volleyball players, their canoeists, all their judo-stars, all their boxers, their fencers are Black!

When Black men do get access to various sports they tend to dominate them, skiing, tennis, and horse-riding will be next. In fact, Black men dominate over White men in all physical areas, not just sport, dancing and sex and others as well.

30. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

JC2 - is that you?