White Hart Tulse Hill

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Adam Ray, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Adam Ray

Adam Ray New Member

Does anyone know what’s happening with the White Hart, Tulse Hill? It’s a beautiful building and focal point that’s quickly turning into an eyesore :(

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

3. Adam Ray

Adam Ray New Member

Apparently savilles stopped acting some time ago

4. discobastard

discobastard edited

I heard music playing in there the other day. Maybe decorators or something, but something going on inside.

5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

or ghosts of piss-ups past?

:p

discobastard likes this.
  6. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The way lease prices are going (and have been for a while), I find it difficult to imagine anyone managing to make it work, even less so with two well-functioning pubs already operating on its doorstep.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

Having popular nearby pubs can be a positive sometimes as it means you've got already people walking past!

But as you say, those daft lease prices means it's really unlikely to make a go of the place as a traditional pub.

BusLanes and T & P like this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

90% of people that chanced upon the Hart and came in would turn around and go back out again....

Got a bit better when the Golum took over, and then reverted back at the end when the Irish fella had it...

9. editor

editor hiraethified

The location is great: on the main drag, right next to a busy station and multiple bus routes with plenty of footfall - but the useless bunch that ran the place actively put people off going in.

I only went the last time just to see if they'd throw me out for standing up. The twats.

BusLanes likes this.
  10. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The Tulse Hill Hotel has proved it is possible to attract a whole load of new punters to a pub that had for decades previously been a complete dive avoided by the very people who frequent it nowadays. But of course it required a (presumably) very costly refurbishment.

The Hart could quite probably become as popular with a similarly comprehensive reinvention, but as always it’d come down to numbers. I’m still a bit surprised how successful the THH has turned out. I’d be interested to know how much they paid for the lease (or perhaps freehold?) of the building.

IIRC when the Hart was for sale recently the asking price was nearly £2m? Add in the best paid another million at least to make it decent, and the business case must become very difficult. I suspect the THH does pretty well out of its hotel lodgings and gourmet dinner shit but I’m not sure at all the area could support a second such pub.

11. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

If you look at the Railway & Knowles they're much bigger. Perhaps it's just not viable as it is anymore. I was wonder how the Elm Park Tavern runs but perhaps has lower costs. Don't tend to go there anymore because they changed the furniture, floor and put in tiles and now you can't hear what anyone's saying:(