Which SUV?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Looby, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I’m growing to hate my car (for mostly irrational reasons) and am looking to change it in January.

I’ve currently got a 2015 Peugeot 2008.

I need an automatic because of my dodgy knee. My Peugeot is semi-auto and the gears are clunky so full auto if possible.
    I’d like apple car play or at least a built in sat nav.
    I’ll probably be driving a lot for work when I graduate.
    No older than 2016.

I have two large dogs that need a big boot and hate people carriers and estates so the style of car is set.

After doing some quotes online I think we can borrow up to 15k and keep the finance about the same as I’m paying now.

I quite like the Mazda CX 5 and could just get one in that budget.

Can’t afford a RAV 4, apparently Qashqai are now shit.

My mate has a Vauxhall Mokka and loves it but my garage said they’ve had loads of problems with them.

I don’t mind the Kia Sportage and the warranty is great but have been told it can be hard to get parts.

No Peugeot or Renault. I like Hyundai but my local dealership are really shit.

Any suggestions I haven’t thought of or any experience of any of these cars?

2. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Honda CR-V

Under the radar but decent :
    Mitsubishi Outlander is a hybrid
    Mitsubishi ASX

We are looking at Mitsubishi ot Hyundai next depending on the emissions and stuff. Would prefer a full electric but isn’t going to happen in my manor - street parking

No Vauxhall’s
    Quashqi is misery personified

3. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

I'd second the CRV and the Outlander - but I'd put in a cheeky recommendation for the Nissan Pathfinder: it's larger than the other two but it's both intensely practical (three dogs and three kids..) and very comfortable.

While it is bigger, it's not that much bigger, but it's small increase in size over the others makes a huge difference.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Yes. These bloated SUVs take up too much space, clutter up our streets, pollute the air and waste energy even more than normal cars. :thumbs:

SpookyFrank, BigTom and Maggot like this.
  5. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Thanks, the ASX is nice, I hadn’t considered Mitsubishi before.

I really do like Hyundai I just really don’t want to have to use the local dealership again which also rules out Nissan, Skoda, Fiat. They messed up my friend’s purchase so badly, cost me a fortune as they sent the wrong service pack to my garage and have an awful reputation.

The Pathfinder is far too big for what I need and I want to be able to park it!

I did see a CRV today when I was out and quite liked it so will add that to the list.

Would you both go for Honda over Mazda?

Funny that because my current car is only a couple of inches wider that my old Corsa hatchback, it’s just a bit longer and higher with a better boot. It’s not a huge engine and it’s an eco model so zero car tax.

The ones I’m looking at are no bigger than a people carrier. I’m not talking about buying a fucking Range Rover, just a slightly bigger car to accommodate my dogs and the fact that I’ll be carrying passengers a lot for work I expect.

6. kebabking

Oh yeah, look at the X-Trail as well. It's still fairly good a practical, capable SUV but with the recent facelift it's much more a fashionable, school-run SUV than the previous mode which was a hyper-practical, hugely capable 4x4...

You might be surprised about the Pathfinder - I've got used to it very quickly. My 'normal' car is a Toyota Avensis estate, and while the Pathfinder feels bigger because it's higher, and it is a bit bigger, it's only marginally more difficult to park.

7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You should do, just to annoy teuchter .

Strange to rule out estates though as they're perfect for dogs and for that money you could probably get a 3 year old CLS estate and not lose most of your money in depreciation in a couple of years. Out of that lot though, probably the CRV.

8. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I quite like the x-trail but I don’t think I’d get one in my budget for the age I want.

9. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I just don’t like them. I can’t even explain why, they’re just not me.

kebabking likes this.
  10. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Definitely not to Kia with 7 year warranty then?

11. teuchter

None of this changes the fact that large cars use up more energy and space and cause more harm than smaller cars, which already cause massive harm and already use too much energy and space.

That is my experience of larger cars.

I get that the only experiences you are interested in are those of other people wealthy enough to drive large cars, rather than those of the people who are harmed by them.

Wookey likes this.
  12. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

I borrowed my dads Hyundai Santa Fe to drive to Scotland, I was really impressed with it.

Worth a test drive

Looby likes this.
  13. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Tbh all I’m interested in at this point is what car to buy after Christmas. And I’m not wealthy I’m a student being crippled by car finance payments.

You can keep on if you like but I don’t really give a shit about your judgments of me or the car I drive.

14. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

Behave :D

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Piss off then.

Bahnhof Strasse and kebabking like this.
  16. teuchter

This is the selfish attitude I'd expect from an SUV driver.

You are 'crippled by car finance payments'?

Maybe that's because you are driving around in giant expensive cars.

When I was a student I used public transport.

17. not-bono-ever

not sure where the logic of large car = wealthy comes from

18. teuchter

Now that you have told me to, I definitely feel motivated to do so, and to leave quietly.

19. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I have to have a car for my job, dipshit.

Giant expensive cars. Did you read where I said my current car is barely bigger than a Corsa and I’m discounting the larger cars being suggested.

You hear what you want to and there’s no point in bothering to reply.

20. kebabking

It comes with the territory of being an ignorant wanker...

21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Don't engage with him, take the piss out of him. That's what he's here for!

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Good lad.

23. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

Is the pathfinder the same as a patrol? I've been looking at old patrols. My series 60 land cruiser has literally got the roof held on with duct tape now :oops:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  24. not-bono-ever

anyway

yes the CRV is a great car loads of room in the back seat for adult passengers. gearstick is on the dashboard so give much more space on the floor iykwim. ASX slightly smaller inside but similar layout, the skoda yeti is another and seems to keep its value rather well - wasnt for me. with 2 big dogs you will need to put the back seats down on all of these mini SUV's. they all drive like cars , just a bit higher and a little more body roll.

ViolentPanda, Looby and kebabking like this.
  25. teuchter

If you don't want a large car then why are you asking for advice on buying an SUV?

You've clearly stated that what you want is a large car, because you want to cart two large dogs around, and more modest options like an estate aren't 'you'.

26. kebabking

No, the Patrol is bigger with a larger engine - though it feels (imo) smaller inside. If you were regularly towing 3000kg or driving across the Sahara you'd want a patrol. For wet fields, a bit of open hill, forestry tracks, and taking 3 kids camping with 5 hours on the motorway, you'd want a Pathfinder.

It's visually similar to a LR Discovery, but it's more practical, less fancy, much more reliable and about half the price..

ice-is-forming likes this.
  27. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I don’t want to put the seats down, the dogs need to fit in the boot. That was the problem with my last car, I’d have to clean the car out every time the dogs went in it before I could use it for work again. Them being in the boot keeps the rest of the car clean. They fit fine in my 2008.
    I’ll do what I did last time and take the biggest dog with me to test boot height.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  28. not-bono-ever

what kind of dogs? pics ? ASL ?

High Voltage likes this.
  29. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

SUVs are horrible and do indeed make the world a worse place. You surely already know this at heart just by saying 'SUV', even if you like the lifestyle nonsense that makes people buy one. Estates are much nicer. Even a van conversion is nicer. But the battle has been lost for now, the trend is well established and there's not a lot of point fighting it.

Horrible SUV options you haven't considered: Jeep Renegade, Jeep anything else, Suzuki Vitara, Skoda Yeti. I guess Audi, Merc, BMW and Volvo are out of the question.

I would suggest, however, that you might not fully understand your own car needs yet. You say you'll be driving for work a lot when you graduate. What chance of getting a company car, for starters? Then you will have wasted money buying privately. That aside, if you're driving long distances regularly, you likely want a different kind of car to one where you're using it for local domestic stuff. So I would encourage you to wait and see if possible.

kebabking and Spymaster like this.
  30. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Old English Sheepdog and a Bearded Collie. The collie isn’t actually that big but the OES is. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’m not discounting the possibility of a third dog either.