Question Which remote access software?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by skyscraper101, Oct 30, 2018.

1. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Doesn't seem to have been a thread for a while on this...

I need to help my Mum do some basic things on her computer but it's going to be a heck of a lot easier if I just do it myself via remote access while she watches rather than me try and explain over the phone and we both end up frustrated at not being in the same room.

So which is the best one to use these days? Preferably free, preferably cross platform (she is Win10, I am OSX).

Thanks in advance.

2. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

TeamViewer ? Don’t know if it works on the Mac. Windows 10 actually has a built in one but obviously you would need Windows 10 as well.

3. spitfire

spitfire Toast

All the professional geeks I know use TeamViewer. Is available for mac.

And they have used it cross platform as well.

4. skyscraper101

Thanks. I'm most familiar with Teamviewer, so I'll go with this, unless anyone has a compelling argument to use an alternative

spitfire likes this.
  5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I think that you might need your mum to click ok for the admin approval if you make changes to the system. So don't let her wander off too far

skyscraper101 likes this.
  6. skyscraper101

Thanks.

I feel a bit guilty getting frustrated with her on the phone for not understanding how to separate an attachment from an email. Hopefully this will fix that.

7. Team Viewer or Splash if you want to do it from a tablet.

8. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Teamviewer, whilst not the best, will do what you need easily, and for free. Best of all you can set up an account, add the computers to your account, set the client on hers to auto run at boot, and viola, as long as she can turn it on and it boots, you're in. She doesn't even need to log in.

Might want to set the alert so she knows when you're spying on her though! ;)

ETA: Set up a local admin account on the machine so you can admin it.

I do all the same with my mother and had to take admin rights away from her standard account as she'd install any old crap and the browser toolbars got ridiculous.

It's no wonder people get frustrated with computers.

ricbake and skyscraper101 like this.