1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PS invention came first - NY taxi, or London bus?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

I'm suspecting the double decker, but I'm really unsure. Why the fuck this shit hasn't died is beyond me, but who to blame?

taxi.jpg

bus.jpg

Yellow, red, yellow, red, yellow, red, orange??????????

2. Stanley Edwards

I know someone like pogofish is going to talk about colour retouching old skool B&W photo's at any moment now.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

You. I blame you.

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

it depends quite what you're asking about London buses.

London's first bus service (as in the sort of thing that ran to fixed route / timetable where you could just turn up and get on) ran in 1829 - more here.

This says that double deck (still horse powered) buses appeared in Paris in 1853.

I can't find a specific to the first double deck bus in London but this one was built in 1875. At that time, buses on different routes tended to be painted different colours, and there were a number of operators. Some would have been red although I can't find photographic evidence of this.

The London General Omnibus Company, the largest operator of buses in London prior to London Transport being formed, had certainly standardised on red & white buses well before the 1914 war. This says they standardised on red in 1907.

[​IMG]

(1911 AEC B-Type bus, an ancestor of the 'Routemaster', built from 1910 onward - many were taken in to military service during WW1)

This says that taxis first appeared in New York in 1897 but that the yellow livery was introduced in or after 1907.

So probable that London had some red buses before New York had any yellow taxis, but as a
    standard, both about the same time.

Artaxerxes likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I hate this tacky effect but it seems inordinately popular with poster purchasers.

6. Stanley Edwards

It came to mind as I was watching an 'artist' churn out quick sketch type paintings featuring Lisbon trams. Same effect put onto canvas with acrylic. People love it :confused:

7. Puddy_Tat

or were you asking about doing that sort of image?

:confused:

i have just realised my post may be all balls in respect of this thread...

8. Stanley Edwards

It read very well :)

9. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

No you are all alright.

10. Puddy_Tat

as for this sort of image, it's worse when someone sees this sort of thing and wants you to create one like it out of an old black & white photo

:facepalm:

that's the same sort of committee who think if you can reduce a big photo in to a small one for a website you ought to be able to take a photo that's about 240 pixels wide and make it print quality

:facepalm: :facepalm:

(it's a reflection on the combined artistic abilities of a voluntary group i'm involved with that i'm the art and design department...)

11. Mr Smin

Mr Smin Registered Luser

Tell them they can print it, at postage stamp size, and ask how many copies they want.

Puddy_Tat likes this.