1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which period of history are you obsessed by today?

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by discokermit, Mar 24, 2017.

1. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

American Civil War intrigues me at the moment, seem to go back to it fairly regularly - (studied it at uni in the 80s). Just read an excellent novel , 'Confederates' - Thomas Keneally, and I'm about to read an Alternate History novel - Harry Turtledove, which explores an alternative time-line where the Confederates managed to get the North sue for peace and America was divided.

discokermit, neonwilderness and Voley like this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

this is brilliant - got halfway through it in the last weekend (which was a busy one). Thanks for the recommendation.

Manter likes this.
  3. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Until the cry went up 'Whey up me lads n lasses, needing to be sortin out some bits of bother, ower the wetter' then this "small rainy Island" became very significant indeed.
    Knackered The Cosrsican bandit, buggered auld Bismarck, proved the leader of the third reich was lacking in the supply of adequate balls.
    Lots to condemn in the history of these "small rainy Islands"?would totally agree, but on balance, I rather like being a citizen of this mixed bag of ethnic history.

4. coley

coley Well-Known Member

.dp

5. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Sooner its 'just history" the better.

6. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

Great novel by Keneally
    But then most of his are - really enlightening depth of context
    Hackney library (when hackney had a main library) had all his novels so i read my way through them, back when reading was a thing in my life

marty21 likes this.
  7. Miss-Shelf

Great thread, discokermit , and glad to see you back posting

I would like to dally in the history 17 & 18 century as Newfoundland was being colonised by Bretons(among others ). They went on such long fishing trips across the Atlantic

I'd like to know more about the old crofting communities in the west/Highlands before the clearances

I really like Martello towers and the architecture of channel island harbours - how war and maritime trading has shaped them

And the history of the cinque ports

I'm amazed earlier peoples sailed so far under sail

crossthebreeze and discokermit like this.
  8. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

Any recommendations? My partner is fascinated by Newfoundland.

9. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8

I'm currently reading Laurie Lee's autobiography trilogy. I'm especially interested in the last part because he talks about his experience in the Spanish civil war. Next I'll try the one about when he goes back after the war. If I can remember its name.

discokermit and Sprocket. like this.
  10. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Guadalajara won't do now!

A Moment of War?
    Great books from another time not so long ago.

dessiato likes this.
  11. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Massive split in society, family members on opposite sides, Franco-ist propaganda only allowing one POV. Certainly people today interested in the Republican side of things find it a very hard time getting it memorialised, lots of people still think Franco was right and they're pretty influential still in politics today.

Currently pondering some strange synchronicity - went running in Cannock Chase and stumbled across a Polish memorial of a Stalin era massacre. Took a photo of it, intending to investigate what it was about. Started reading Kershaw's 'To Hell and Back' on holiday where it mentions Katyn - "hang on, isn't that... Yes yes it is". Horrifying.

Also on the same holiday went up to the hills where I found a statue of Karl Habsburg. Thought it was odd, no real explanation of context and I don't know enough about WW1. And then in the same Kershaw book he explains that he was exiled to Madeira, where I was on holiday.

Gramsci and Miss-Shelf like this.
  12. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Restoration-era English court music

discokermit and ElizabethofYork like this.
  13. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

The Peasants Revolt.

14. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Did you see this news story, Miss-Shelf ? How did the remote French outpost of St Pierre and Miquelon vote? - BBC News

I had no idea there was a French colony off the coast of Newfoundland - the local flag includes the Breton flag.

15. FreguentLy

FreguentLy New Member

our time could be considered among most interesting ones. hmm...early renaissance, high middle ages. Roman empire. (republic + empire (excluding the decline) . .. USA . up to present times. Caucasia.

discokermit likes this.
  16. Miss-Shelf

17. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

18. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I am mentally back in USSR again as halfway through Sheila Fitzpatrick's latest, on Stalin's team. And have just found some new interesting Balkan, Armenian and Georgian ppl & commentators to follow on twitter so seeing a whole load of articles and pictures and so on that lead me down rabbit holes. I spent 20 minutes last night watching Cossack dancing from the 50s I found on someone's website

Ptolemy, marty21, Miss-Shelf and 2 others like this.
  19. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

This weeks history fad is the history of the English-Scottish borderlands...

It's not really this or that battle etc.. it's the low-level, day-to-day stuff of shifting loyalties, identities, influence, economy, taxation, justice and bastard feudalism.

marty21, FreguentLy and discokermit like this.
  20. FreguentLy

FreguentLy New Member

Actually that's sometimes the most interesting part. They say "if you know nations' land cadastre and tax history its' easy to tell nations' history" or something like thaT)

yield and kebabking like this.
  21. Idris2002

Idris2002 this prim barbarism

For a long while there it was the October crisis of 1970 that kept me interested - the most interesting thing to happen in Canada since, well, anytime.

discokermit likes this.
  22. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Early 21st century, last week it was pre-European invasion North America

discokermit likes this.
  23. articul8

articul8 Dishonest sociopath

For me it'd be 1968-1984 and the Catholic recusancy of the 16th and early 17th Century.

discokermit likes this.
  24. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="articul8, post: 15067208, member: 17514"recusancy [/QUOTE]

wombles off to google wtf recusancy means before deciding whether that is a good thing or not.:hmm:

25. Ptolemy

Ptolemy like an unwound clock, I just don't seem to care.

Reading a lot about Democratic Kampuchea, Cambodia under the notorious Pol Pot regime. The stories of the cities being evacuated fascinated me, and I couldn't find a lot of information about the country online, so have been poring through some books with various viewpoints...

Am also a big fan of Chinese history, particularly the Ming and Qing dynasties.

discokermit and mather like this.
  26. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

Late 60's life in Laurel Canyon. A great creative capsule of the late 60's. Life didnt just exist in Frank Zappa's cabin....or Sound City. An era I wish I had been around for, and which I constantly discover new things about.

Miss Caphat and discokermit like this.
  27. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

nah - self mythologising bunch of boring stoners making dull music and telling each other how great they were.

mather likes this.
  28. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Really interested in learning about pre-Christian Ireland... :)

discokermit and Ptolemy like this.
  29. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

30. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

Pre-DK, have a look at Cambodian Communism and the Vietnamese Model by Stephen Heder. Also, Falling Out of Touch by Thomas Engelbert and Christopher E. Goscha.