which light bulb?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by wayward bob, Feb 2, 2018.

1. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

dear urban please help my scrambled brains. say i have a lamp that's a simplified version of this

[​IMG]

and i want to cast the strongest, clearest shadows. what size/type of lightbulb should i look for? not the fitting end, the end where the light is.

tia :)

Fez909 likes this.
  2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I would have thought if you want to throw a clear shadow you want a bulb which produces light from the smallest area. If that is right then an older fashioned bulb with a small filament rather than a modern bulb with long tubes.

hth

wayward bob likes this.
  3. 2hats

2hats

You want a point source to cast clearly defined shadows. Perhaps a ceramic metal halide bulb? Maybe even a suitable geometric arrangement of them to project each face of the cube?

dessiato likes this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

What about a halogen, or, perhaps better, LED? Both are small and relatively strong light sources.

5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

5 strong, small bulbs with something shielding each bulb's direction from the others.

6. wayward bob

... a simplified version of ... :D

7. wayward bob

one standard screw lamp fitting in the centre, so i guess the smaller the bulb the better :thumbs:

8. wayward bob

it doesn't need to be bright enough to cast shadows a long way. what's the smallest size bulb you can get on a standard fitting?

9. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I would think LED would be good for this, small single point light source, most energy efficient type afaik as well. Can get LEDs in a variety of colour temperatures so a nice stark bright white should be achievable I reckon which would help with getting strong, sharp shadows.

10. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Please don't release the Cenobites!! (need to have seen hellraiser to get this)

pogofish likes this.
  11. wayward bob

this is my bedside lamp, not an exhibition thing btw :D

12. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

i work changing lights in offices - best i've come across are Engergizer LED bulbs. They give a clean crisp clear light without any glare. Even on a low wattage they're brighter than most ordinary bulbs.