Which is the shittiest place in South East London?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by BadlyDrawnGirl, Apr 6, 2007.

1. BadlyDrawnGirl

BadlyDrawnGirl Piano Tuna

There are some shitholes round here. Whether it's the scummy, ratpiss-infested wino excavation wasteland or the acres of chinless NIMBY haven't-spoken-to-another-disgusting-human-being-since-I-was-a-wayward-youth-living-in-the-slums-of-Manchester whitewashed lawyer-belt...where is the true filth??!

2. behemoth

behemoth Buy Urban75 on Ebay

Some wild generalisations going on there. Good and bad people in every area.

Thamesmead and Abbey Wood is an area I would hate to have no choice but to live in.

3. lenny101

lenny101 On the Rock & Roll

From experience I have only lived around Deptford and New Cross which were both alright. Sometimes I had to go down to Lewisham town centre which seemed to be a bit of a scally infested shit hole.

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Woolwich, eltham, plumstead, abbey wood/thamesmead, downham, catford, peckham etc
    e2a - agree with lewisham as well

5. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

thamesmead.

6. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Oh blimey. I've either lived, worked or gone to school in most of the places named and shamed so far :D

7. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

My goodness, that is virtually all of SE London! There are some alright places in that bunch!

Catford isnt bad. Eltham too.

8. softybabe

softybabe one merlot then two....

Downham, is not shitty and going through a lot of regen including my fab now health and leisure centre, complete with library and pool. ddraig's just got a thing against SE London, i really dunno why he bothers to come down :rolleyes: :p

9. Errol's son

Errol's son Well-Known Member

I wouldn't like to live on Downham Way.

But I would far prefer it to the concrete hell of Thamesmead.

10. softybabe

I wouldnt like to live on Downham way either but putting all of Downham (which is quite big innit) under the same umbrella cheesed me off :D but each to their own innit :D

11. Melinda

Where is this leisure centre then? Im not familiar with it.

We go to The Bridge.

12. softybabe

13. Melinda

It looks REALLY nice, if its the same people who manage The Bridge and Ladywell Leisure Centre, does that mean Im already a member?

14. f for fake

f for fake Beer & whisky please

all of it i thought

its great up north :D

well the midlands at least :D :D

15. softybabe

No mate, nice try though :D The gym and swimming pool is managed by Harpers. They had a special offer on last wk... and i cld always introduce u and we both get a mth free ;) .

It is very nice! i'm motivated to go gym quite often for now :D

16. BadlyDrawnGirl

BadlyDrawnGirl Piano Tuna

Of course, I don't disagree, there are some very decent places in SE London. For example, I think Crystal Palace is great, Greenwich and Camberwell are pretty cool and Blackheath, Forest Hill, East Dulwich and Beckenham, if culturally 'thin', are okay places for a number of things. What I mean here is specifically the shitty and down-at-heel (e.g. Penge) or the wholesome-but-dull-as-ditchwater (e.g. Orpington), the kind of thing there seems to be a lot of in SE London.

Poll may follow. :cool:

17. lau1981

lau1981 Loves my Honey

Abbeywood and Thamesmead by far! Truly horrid. Great place to buy or sell drugs.

18. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Woolwich Arsehole.. but I will counter with UN world heritage site that is Greenwich.

19. foamy

foamy Sheinhardt Wig Company

torchsong, i loves ya :D
    i'm gonna vote for:
    the concrete republic of Thamesmead - as it hosted my gorgeous but crazy, stabby chivvy saaaarflaaaahdarn luvvlie.

(but only cos i cant vote for the docks cos they is north)

20. neonis

neonis New Member

Thamesmead is a crap hole.

I agree with you, I also have no real choice but to live there.:(

21. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Thamesmead s probably the worst place I've been to in England, let alone London. I almost ended up living there too.

22. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

A two-year thread bump? :hmm:

23. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

I remember when it used to be really easy to get a council flat there because noone wanted to live there. Filmmakers seem to like it, it's been used as the set for Clockwork Orange and Beautiful Thing.
    Not as much the shithole it used to be

[​IMG]

but I still wouldn't like to live there..

24. mao

mao I'm totally wired

Thorton Heath, Walworth, Catford....

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Eltham is okay if you're white, not so cool if you're not.

Plumstead used to be a total shit-hole, but is a bit better now than it was.

26. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

FOUR years. :)

27. MellySingsDoom

MellySingsDoom Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric

West Croydon has it's "charming" bits - wandering round on a weekend night can be fun/injurous to your health.

28. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Croydon.

29. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Don't think Croydon is that bad.

Still LOL at Badly Drawn Girl describing Orpington as 'wholesome'!

30. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Awesome :D

I really hated living in Lewisham, parts of Bermondsey are pretty shit as well but not nearly in the same league