Where to move Sittingbourne/Rochester/Gillingham

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Inaaizy, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Inaaizy

Inaaizy New Member

Dear members

I am planning to move with my husband And 4years and 1yrs old kids.

At the moment we are actively searching area which is suitable for us especially kids' growing perspective. I have find quite good detached and semi-detached house in Sittingbourne but I have found quite a lot -ve reviews for Sittingbourne. So now we are considering Rainham(Kent), Rochester and Gillingham as well in our price range (325k-350k).

Could you please advise what areas we should avoid and consider especially in Rainham(Kent), Rochester and Gillingham. Also should we think about Sittingbourne or not?

Thanks
    Inaaizy

2. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

My gf meets her mates at a pub called the Rochester every 3 months or so.
    An old friend of mine used to support Gillingham but I haven't seen him in about 5 years.
    Don't know anything at all about Sittingbourne.
    Hope that helps.

quimcunx, MrSki and Rutita1 like this.
  3. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I've been through all their train stations today. Rochester looks nicest from the train!

marty21 likes this.
  4. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Rochester is pretty but no idea what it's like to live there. Watch out for houses in flood areas of the Medway.

5. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I was born in Chatham and lived in Medway till I was 18. Rochester is the nicest bit, if you like Cathedrals and castles. Gillingham and Chatham are a bit more rundown, although there is a lot of building going on I've noticed and the University seems to be expanding a lot.

Chatham really suffered after the dockyard shut in the eighties but there's been a bit of money going in over the last few years.

Rainham is a little commuter town. Bit quieter than the others. There's a small shopping precinct and a church. Lots of "new" (40 years old) houses nears Mierscourt Road. I'd probably rather live there than in Chatham or Gillingham centres.

Rochester has some nice bits round Priestfields or Borstal but they might be a bit out of your price range, depending on what type of house you want to get. Somewhere like Cliffe or Walderslade might be worth a look. Further out but some nice houses and pretty quiet.

Sittingbourne is fine, it's just another small town.

Depends what you want really I guess.

trashpony, marty21 and Rutita1 like this.
  6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

all very subjective.

some of the negativity towards the medway towns pretty much translates as "omg they have working class people there". i don't know sittingbourne well enough to say a lot about it.

what are you looking for? are you looking for somewhere commutable to london, and if so, which bit of it? there's a season ticket pricing thing on national rail enquiries (bear in mind options involving using the high speed line in to st pancras are more expensive.)

some of the kent towns also do have commuter coach services (many of these go direct from the southern fringes of - for example - the medway towns rather than town centres, and also serve the canary wharf area, so can provide more of a direct service than bus or car to local station, then train then change to underground or DLR somewhere. how many will continue if and when crossrail opens remains to be seen.)

as well as the increased cost of commuting, there's also the increased chance of a few snow days / days when the whole damn thing isn't functioning.

or if commuting isn't an option, how about faversham? a bit further out in to kent but seems (from a few briefish visits) quite nice in a smallish town sort of way.

ultimately, the only way to get a feel for a place is to go there and mooch around. and maybe rent somewhere short term before buying and then wishing you hadn't...

8. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend cliffe :) I brought up my kids there when they were little. If moved back to the UK it's where I'd settle

Cliffe, Kent - Wikipedia

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  9. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

tonysingh is from round there iirc

Me, I'd advise moving to the seaside :thumbs:

trashpony and tonysingh like this.
  10. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

I live in a Medway Town called Brompton. It's right in between Chatham and Gillingham.so you have both stations within no more than 20 minutes walk. If you drive, there are close links to London etc. There's a new housing development springing up next to my estate, with houses well within your price range too. There's woodland here, there's Fort Amherst, there's a huge public park and Brompton is a quiet, almost village like place.

Gillingham ... Its a shit hole. About the only good thing is the market and even that's dying on its arse. The houses there are cheap for a reason. Avoid it at all costs.

Chatham has an unfortunate reputation which is in part at least, deserved. That said its more vibrant and has more going for it than Gillingham. Loving there wise, I'd maybe look at Lordswood which is wee bit of a trek in a jam jar but is quiet and that. More close in to town and on the Chatham/Rochester interface sort of area, Warren Wood is worth a look too.

Rochester.... Its nice. Loads of shops stuff to do etc. However the town centre and surrounding streets are like the pits of hell on a Friday and Saturday night. Here I'd look at either the Esplanade or Borstal area.

As another commenter said above, Rainham is a good shout and I can only agree with everything they said really. I would add though that my ex lives there so I can't be entirely objective. :D

And yes you should think of Sittingbourne, as it's always good to have a laugh.

tommers likes this.
  11. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

My mum lives in Brompton. It's nice.

tonysingh likes this.
  12. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

To the OP ... Have a look at St Mary's Island too. It's exclusively residential with (I think) just one school and no shops but you're like 5 minutes from Chatham town centre and 10-15 from Gillingham. There's a huge asda nearby and Dockside Retail Outlet with all its shops, restaurants and attractions is just over the water.

tommers likes this.