1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to fish on the Wandle ?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Apr 6, 2012.

1. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Meat Raffle

Dur to redundancy, I have dug out my old fly rod and would like to start catching some trout ( and releasing them of course ) in/ around LOndon

Obvious candidate is the wandle - anyone have any idea where the best places to head to are ?

Or any other London suggestions appreciated

Cheers

ash likes this.
  2. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

3. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

It's a nice walk the length of the Wandle. You could just have a look for yourself while you do it (you need waders at a couple of places).

4. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

5. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

The wet bits. ;)

6. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Fish torturer.

:mad:

7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

Less harmful than the crap that leached into the water from the old Abbey Mills site etc before most of them were remediated. That used to kill the fish off slowly and horribly whenever the water board tried stocking in the 70s and 80s. :( Back in the early '70s, on some hot days, the smell coming off the Wandle around Earlsfield could be eye-watering! :eek:

8. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Don't know about know but 20 years ago The Wandle was great for catching a wide range supermarket trollies.

toblerone3 and RaverDrew like this.
  9. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Try bang right in the middle of Colliers Wood. It's a bit surreal; a chalk stream with trout in it situated there.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  10. _pH_

_pH_ .

There's a chapter about trying to catch trout within the M25 in this book (it was made into a great documentary on BBC2 too). Might give you some ideas.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  11. ViolentPanda

That stopped happening right around the time that shops started fitting the coin deposit mechanisms on their trollies. :)

12. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

A novel idea that doesn't quite seem to have reached the monster Tesco in Acre Lane yet :hmm:

Can't speak for the legendary Arndale Centre and neighbouring outlets ....

13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Releasing something that tastes that good, after torturing it with your hook!! ??

14. not-bono-ever

um

decent suggestions, thanks

TBF, I havent caught enything for years it seems, so im not yet a fully fledged torturer! I have spare time - Its either Kyle and Loose women or hanging around in Croydon failing to catch fish.

15. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Have you tried putting bait on the hook? ;)

16. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Fly fishing...

17. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Heck mine was a decent suggestion - catch them by all means but eat them then!! !! :)

18. ViolentPanda

Legendary?
    Would have thought "notoriously crap" or "infamously shite" would have been more apt. :)

19. not-bono-ever

reprise- i got a job and never made it to the Wandle. May go in April..I dont eat em or kill em anyway- but apparently its not reccomened anyway as them fish may be full of bad things

20. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Wandle is not a clean river.

21. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

i hooked something in the wandle that went like a train. straightened my rod out. never had a run like it. 8lb line. by the sainsburys, in two foot of water. hooked it, straightened the rod out, ping!

any carp boys about?

south norwood lake is the a cracking, mysterious water. talk of upper 30s. very good anglers with just a few fish a year. complete opposite of a runs water. love it.