1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do the old ravers go to dance these days??

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Carrie Dee, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

posting a thread is organising now :D

fizzerbird likes this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

AKA Walter Mitty

ddraig likes this.
  3. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Once again proof that your memory ain't worth tuppence.

Evidence that I did a lot more than just post a thread. Organising room discounts among other things.

3rd May - Welsh Meet

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Proper LOL :D

sealion likes this.
  5. fizzerbird

fizzerbird Intimate Potential

Omg!

Just read that thread in its entirety...:oops:

CLARTS!! :D

ddraig likes this.
  6. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

c'mon, he's sort of responsible for the sleng teng riddim (due to the Casio preset rhythm it's a modified version of being a Casio engineer's attempt at doing the riff from 'hang on to your self')

ddraig likes this.
  7. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

I went to Jungle Fever in December and decided I was officially over raving...for 9 months at least. they play more new skool than old skool at an old skool event.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    High Voltage and ska invita like this.
  8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

heard about this on Sunday as the tune was being played, mad story

9. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

not sure Jungle Fever has ever been an old skool event...its a Kool FM outing above all else and reflects the roster..but yeah, plenty of jump up at Fevers. Not sure you need to hang up your raving shoes though - all about finding the right spot for your tastes. Not sure what the best old skool jungle night is these days...in London sounds like Ribena Jungle goes off time and again, but have to be really on it to get a ticket, tiny venue.

Heard about a great old skool 91=92 event in a snooker hall, twice a year thing, some original Labyrinth crew involved - I think thats the way to go these days: small venues, little tight crews with loyal followings and older heads...theyre out there

nogojones likes this.
  10. stethoscope

stethoscope without the technical flim flam

ddraig likes this.
  11. Orang Utan

Are old ravers not allowed to listen to new music? Why are so many not curious about what's new, instead harking for music that has dated rather quickly?

nogojones, danski and ska invita like this.
  12. ska invita

no one has said that, but sovereign b was complaining about jump up at an old skool night, hence...

credit to Gromit, he's moving with the times :thumbs:

13. Orang Utan

It was just a general point. It seems that some people get stuck with the music they liked as a teen and never go on from there. I find it curious.
    (Old school nights though, IME, tend to have a lot of young people hearing it all for the first time)

14. ska invita

yeah there is that tendency to think the best music ever made happens to also have been the music you were in to when you were 18. Probably some good brain science explaining why thats the case...its definitely a trap

sealion, sovereignb, ddraig and 3 others like this.
  15. Orang Utan

Yeah, I reckon. Got a mate like that. Only likes 90s indie. Thinks all music that came after is shite

16. ohmyliver

Oddly enough I first learnt this on Sunday, but albeit as a consequence of a twitter thread I was part of going on an 80s Casio cheap synth tangent, and Youtube's related videos.

Sadly no mashup of Bowie's vocals from said track over the Sleng Teng riddim exists.

ddraig likes this.
  17. sovereignb

Im not curious about what's new because I've heard it and its doesn't really appeal to me! Dated or not, the sounds of 93 - 98 will forever stir up movement and emotion in me like no other music. I'm not an expert on the current sound but I don't think its evolved much in the last 7 years.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    sealion and Orang Utan like this.
  18. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

He's not awful, but I can't think of any song of his I'd choose to listen to

ska invita likes this.
  19. sovereignb

I think people crave for those days because of the associations with them...freedom, (better?) drugs etc...I don't think you can seriously compare the vibes to now can you? Tuneswise, I think there was much more variety in sound even within one year.

20. Orang Utan

I completely disagree. Drugs are as good as ever. And vibes, music etc too. Music is better and more varied imo

nogojones likes this.
  21. sovereignb

Cheers...ill look into Ribena Jungle. Ive always thought of Jungle Fever as an old skool event, so id obviously expect more of that music than anything. I went to AWOL the month before and it was pretty similar affair. As you said, finding the right event, just not sure I'm motivated to do so nowadays. Maybe when summer comes.

22. sovereignb

Well I don't take drugs other than green...I'm just going by what I hear and read in this place.
    The rest we can agree to disagree on :thumbs:

Orang Utan likes this.
  23. ohmyliver

Drugs may be as good as ever. But I doubt seratonin and dopamine receptors in the brains of old ravers are the same as when they were young/did their first pill/etc

24. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

I'm still getting very positive results. Go the Dutch :cool:

danski and Orang Utan like this.
  25. Fulham Fred's

Fulham Fred's New Member

Nearly everybody has decamped to the "Soul Scene" - music from Bally-eric to Belgian New beat, Steely Dan to Fela Kuti.

Groove Odyssey, Glitterbox, Mi Soul, Defected, Suncebeat, Ibiza Soul Week, Stomp Radio, anything promoted by Bob masters or CJ Morris and many more

ska invita likes this.
  26. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

The drugs aren't as good as ever. Long time (early 00s) since I rushed off a pill. Sure, pills are strong, but it ain't the same feeling - could be due to saffrole ban.

And the late 80s/early 90s were very special music wise.

And the vibes aren't as good as what they used to be. I'd be wary of going to a UK club and taking MD these days.

sovereignb and planetgeli like this.
  27. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Gromit, I don't believe you. I think the closest you ever came to a two hour slot on the radio was flipping the C90 at 45 minutes.

I know a load of people who've been on the radio, and not one of them hasn't played at a venue at least once. That tends to be how you get on the radio.

Go on, admit it. You're a world class bluffer, aren't you.

28. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I fell into it by accident. Never intended being on the radio.
    I thought I was putting myself forward for an admin job and at the end of the interview was told you'll have to do some training and then we'll start you on the one hour slot after drive time.
    I was like um what?!!

Later i was moved on to a two hour slot.

I've neglected to add the I've also been on air with BBC Radio Wales with Jamie Owen and Louise Elliott.

29. Orang Utan

You sit on a throne of lies

30. sovereignb

I went to a few Groove Odyssey events a few years back, got a bit samey but still good music/vibes
    Thanks for reminding me of the name Mi Soul...heard about it when I went to Croatia in summer for Sunzebeat, which was a great experience and probably the last time I had a great time raving.