When Welsh people see the bridge

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Apr 20, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Love this :D :D :D

mwgdrwg, Poi E, kalidarkone and 4 others like this.
  2. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

I had a boss , many years ago of impeccable Welsh heritage , who despatched his expectant wife to relatives in South Wales to ensure the birth would be in Wales , as opposed to London NW3 . Tidy.

I personally always cheer up when the GWR train exits the Seven Tunnel going westbound.

3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

When I was 7 or 8 years old I used to travel around the UK with my Dad who drove a delivery truck in the school holidays. I vividly remember the fascination of being in 'another country' when we went to Wales for the first time and the signposts all had two languages and it felt just that little bit more foreign to my English head. I was very easily pleased as a kid.

kebabking and ddraig like this.
  5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

My sister travelled to Ireland, twice, to have her two children. :D

davesgcr likes this.
  6. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

On the M4 I always hold my breath going through the tunnel near newport. Not for any particular reason.

7. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

Why did he only drive the truck in the school holidays

8. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

He was delivering children.

Poi E, kebabking and farmerbarleymow like this.
  9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

10. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

'thank fuck, I've got out of Newport'?

editor likes this.
  11. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

So he's using the yuppie bridge?

12. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Is that the foul smelling part of the M4 near the refineries.

13. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

Dad made us hold our breath for as long as possible when we left Wales, to put off breathing English air for as long as possible.

At Xmas on the 24th everybody used to relax on the westbound trains as they left Parkway and smile at each other. Then start talking.

1927, davesgcr and editor like this.
  14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I'm about to do this journey. I'll look out for it :D

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The what?

16. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Complete opposite for me moral starts to plummet reaching zero when I get here Sennybridge.
    tst[​IMG] I'm sure there are nice bits of wales I just haven't been to any. People are lovely though.

17. butchersapron

The one built for yuppies to get to their second homes in west wales as quick as possible without having to mix with the awful public on trains - as opposed to the proper Severn bridge.

18. littlebabyjesus

[​IMG]

farmerbarleymow and gentlegreen like this.
  19. butchersapron

That crosses the river not the estuary though - presuming that's the brilliantly named Over. But loads before that one too - crossing the river i mean.

20. littlebabyjesus

It is the Over, yes. Not that long ago, that was the main crossing point from England to South Wales.

I crossed the first estuary bridge many times over the decades. It was very often just one lane open in either direction and clogged with traffic. If there was a racing meet at Chepstow, you could be there for hours. The new bridge is a massive improvement. The way it was financed is shit, but its existence itself isn't.

Poi E likes this.
  21. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The Gloucester - Chepstow - Newport railway has an Over Junction , for many years there was painted on the brickwork - "fuck off Taffs" - with an arrow pointed to the west. I reckon the local PW gang retouched it every year with fresh white paint. :mad::hmm:

22. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Much like the late George Behrend mentions in a chapter "A Journey to Wales" - written with regard to Austerity Britain. The homebound Welsh on the BIrmingham to Aberystwyth train , once over the border approaching Welshpool (Buttington actually) would suddenly get voluble and open up their cases and start eating their carefully stashed home products , Welsh cakes , meat pies etc - safe from the Saeson (Saxons) ..sic , and on home turf.

ddraig likes this.
  23. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I love the bridge and will love it even more next year when the tolls disappear.

The drive towards it and over it into Wales is undoubtedly better than the drive the other way into England. And, again, will be even better when those bloody toll booths go.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  24. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

Given the recent bridge-naming fiasco, I'm half-expecting the new royal clone to be called Second Severn Crossing. It'd balance things out a bit.

Celyn likes this.
  25. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

And now I see there's a Prince of Wales Bridge thread. Fackinell.

26. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member