1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does a painting become an illustration?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Nov 17, 2017.

1. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

No....
    Read it again. .

Your assertion is not true.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

touched a nerve i see

3. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Nope.
    Just being more of a pedant than you..
    :D

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh with all the aplomb of an eviscerated slow worm

Badgers likes this.
  5. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Slow worms are far more likely to lose their tails, which is what they do to avoid predators, than to be eviscerated.

Been there, seen that, stick that in the things I’ve learned today.

/Uber pedant.

6. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Paintings in general usually contain more than two or three colours. Illistrations usually only have one.

7. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Whats the difference between art and an architectural drawing Stanley ?
    :p

8. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Tell that to:

Maurice Sendak
    Kate Greenaway
    Beatrix Potter
    Arthur Rackham
    Raymond Briggs
    Jill Barklem
    Kay Nielsen
    Maxfield Parrish

Celyn and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  9. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

WTF happened here?

I think the absolute definition is simply 'illustrations are intended for reproduction'. I look at my own paintings and think they look too much like illustrations (in a negative way). Not sure I am really understanding what I mean to say. The word, or term 'illustrative' seems to be a bad thing?

10. Stanley Edwards

A lot. I enjoy doing architectural sketches in the street. It is very nice work, and it pays fairly well. But, it is seen by most as a skill, and not an art. I will argue that all of my architectural sketches express myself - they are distinctly my sketches. There is an art to it, but it isn't like full on imaginative painting the way I would like to make money.

bimble likes this.
  11. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Painting or illustration I remain amazed you don't save pictures to be sold in more salubrious environs than the street. I know a UK woman who has sold two pictures at least this year, but she sold them for £650 each. Think what you could be doing if you sold your pictures for £650 rather than what you get for them at the moment.

12. Stanley Edwards

I couldn't survive on 2 x €650 a year. I spend more than that a month on food and beer.

13. Stanley Edwards

My total gross income from the sale of art has just passed the €250,000 mark. Sounds impressive until you look at the net profit divided over the last 15 years. Then we are on a par with the average starter at McDonald's.

The highest I have made from a single piece is €2,600. I am a lazy bastard. If I didn't have to make cash everyday, I wouldn't bother sketching. However, I have a brand new plan that will see me happily sorted for as long as needed. I might be lazy, but I am not greedy, or fame hungry either. I think you have to be one, or the other to be a financially successful artist.

14. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I don't think the terms are necessarily mutually exclusive. But i suppose illustration implies a simplicity of intent. That is, they represent images in a way that is largely free from non-literal meaning, complex emotion etc.

15. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

My suggestion is that you sell them all for £650 each

16. Stanley Edwards

That's an interesting translation. Possibly a picture with no ambiguity. This sort of makes sense - a literal pictorial representation.

spanglechick likes this.
  17. Stanley Edwards

€250,000 a year would be very nice, but I wouldn't be here then, and you would all miss me.