When do you first recall hearing a synthesiser?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 19, 2017.

1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Doctor Who in '74 or 10cc' "I'm Not in Love", whenever that came out... both had me mesmerised. Later on it was fairlights and emulators on Mike Oldfield and Trevor Horn stuff...

Sprocket. likes this.
  2. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

10cc was 75, I remember it well because I thought I was :(

krtek a houby likes this.
  3. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

You thought you were 75?

Sprocket. likes this.
  4. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

I thought I was Eric Stewart!
    No, I felt 75 when the alarm went off at 3:45 this morning.

krtek a houby likes this.
  5. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

When I think back, it was either Doctor Who, or Stevie Wonder.

6. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

The lead singer appears to be sporting two separate hairstyles at once.
    (Giorgio Moroder wrote this I think)

7. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Telstar by Joe Meek

hot air baboon and pogofish like this.
  8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

BBC Radiophonic Workshop - specifically the Dr Who Theme, during the mid/late 1960s.
    (Also Z-cars. possibly ?)
    Musically, not sure - a bit later, so Mike Oldfield, and one of the big rock groups - hang on I'll look it up and edit.

9. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I probably first heard a synthesiser not that long after I was born... definitely before I started forming memories anyway.

Chemical needs likes this.
  10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

when I was really young, like 5 or 6, I had an unmarked cassette with Oxygene on it. I loves it and played it to death for many years, if not decades. It took me a good 20 years to find out what it actually was.

bubblesmcgrath and krtek a houby like this.
  11. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

off the top of my head. Nutbush City Limits. Also Lucky Man by Emerson Lake & Palmer. ELP were definitely early synthesiser users. I recall in the 70s several pop bands just bunged in a bit of a synthesiser break that bore no relation to the rest of the song just because they could I suppose?

12. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Dr Who too.

13. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

I believed your story right up to the bit about the synthesiser. Yamaha made the dx7 and it was digital not analogue. Everything else seems legit though.

Fez909 and fishfinger like this.
  14. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

DR WHO - 1972

15. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Probably 1974, 'Autobahn' by Kraftwerk.

The39thStep likes this.
  16. isvicthere?

A couple of posts on here have mentioned the Dr Who theme. I think I'm right in saying that in fact it predates synthesisers, and is actually a really futuristic-sounding amalgam of cut up analogue tapes.

Orang Utan and Casual Observer like this.
  17. isvicthere?

I said Kraftwerk earlier, but I clearly remember this and, while perhaps less cool, it predates 'Autobahn' by two years.

I will never google the lyrics, and so for me the chorus will ALWAYS be: "Son of my father/Oolin I was oolin/ I was free from dry."

seeformiles likes this.
  18. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

19. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Plenty of mentions of the Doctor Who theme tune on this thread but the original (1963) and then edited (1970s) versions of the same didn't actually feature any synthesisers. Delia Derbyshire recorded the music using nothing but tape manipulation machines and only received a flat session fee for her troubles. Ron Grainer, composer of the music, asked the BBC to give Derbyshire a co-composer credit but they refused. She also invented house music in 1968 but no one knew until a stash of her old recordings were found a few years ago. I first heard of her some 20 years back when Peter Kember (Spacemen 3) sang her praises in a documentary on pioneers of electronic music.

EDIT: Just seen isvicthere's earlier post saying the same thing. Sorry vic.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  20. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I love synths but having been born in 1975 I find it impossible to properly answer the question. At least a good deal of the futuristic soundtrack of my youth still sounds quite futuristic even now. And with the benefit of hindsight I'm rather impressed by what Silver Apples were doing with primitive oscillators etc in 1968.

bubblesmcgrath and littleseb like this.
  21. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

That whole series completely overused the moog - and why not (like the new toy it was! )

22. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

IIRC it is the VCS-3 or ARP synths that are most associated with the Radiophonic Workshop at that time, plus the antiquated 'Delaware' modular which was used on the 1970-on theme music before falling out of use.

They attempted to buy a Moog in the early 70s yes, but that fell through and couldn't even raise the funds for a Minimoog as a fallback.

elbows and seeformiles like this.
  23. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

clip of townshend talking about how he wrote the synth part for "wont get fooled again" (1971). Im guessing one of the first uses of the synth as a sequencer?

24. Sea Star

Sea Star Urban 75 = Mumsnet

quite possibly this

25. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Oooooh! Nice shout.

26. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

wow...those barnets tho...embarrasing. I think The Sweet and Mud had similar hair.

27. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

That's not a synthesiser on 'I'm Not in Love' it's a bunch of tape loops playing hundreds of individually sung notes.

e2a: There is a synth on there but it's only playing the kick drum part.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Orang Utan likes this.
  28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  29. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Then various other BBC radio theme tunes ...
    And probably "popcorn" by "Hot Butter" ... then Karaftwerk's "Autobahn"