Whatever happened to...The Sundays

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Sep 4, 2006.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]
    Creators of the beautiful Reading, Writing, & Arithmetic, Blind and Static and Silence albums, fronted with a singer with the voice of an angel, they've been gone for too long!

I nearly met Harriet on a train from Paddington to Reading. She was sat opposite me but I was with a bunch of pissed up Cardiff City boys and just knew it would all go horribly wrong if I tried to strike up a conversation.

Anyone else liked the Sundays?

2. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Aye, great band. No clue what happened to them though. Dare you to drop Summertime @ Offline :D

3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

yup , saw them at leicester uni in '89? all the men at the front were shouting obscenities to Harriet, in fact most the audience was male :rolleyes:

there were very unprolific maybe the next album will come out in 2014.

4. fishfingerer

fishfingerer sultan of cringe

Was a remixed Here's Where The Story Ends a big hit last year or was I imagining it.

5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I liked em! :cool:

Can you not book them (or a version of them??) live for Offline, now that they're erm .... 'less well known' ? ;)

6. david dissadent

david dissadent New Member

They were sweet but damp as a vicars handshake.

7. William of Walworth

8. Fong

Fong Banned Banned

Got a crap load of their songs on my HD, but I too have no idea what happened to them.

She has got an amazing voice tho.

But a quick look on Wiki gives you..

The band is currently on a hiatus; Wheeler and Gavurin are a couple and are raising their two children away from the spotlight of the music industry. As of 2006, no significent news about the band has surfaced.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If I booked the Sundays, there'd be queues stretching back to the Dogstar.

10. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

OOOOOO I love the Sundays

Reading, Writing, & Arithmetic is one of my favorite Sunday "dig out" albums

I was into them when I was at school, everyone thought I was weird :rolleyes:

11. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I can officially announce that they've been living in my MP3 player for the last two years :)

12. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

that's the only sunday's album i have too:)

13. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

they were never exactly fast movers - it was a whole year between the release of Can't Be Sure and R, W, A...

saw them around the time of the 3rd album, at the Union Chapel. They were marvellous and Harriet was as adorable as ever.

14. brokenyolk

brokenyolk vegetable lover

can i be the first in the queue to get out? Ugh. Studenty wimperers.

15. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

I remember going to a soldout Bristol Bierkeller back in 1989 on the offchance of getting a ticket, without luck.

Wasn't he ill for quite a few years?

16. William of Walworth

That was 1997 yes?

I had a ticket for that, but I think it got called off from the original date, and postponed to a date that fell during my India trip .... :(

Had to sell the ticket to a mate.

17. christonabike

christonabike Elm Park Bencher

Funny enough, just been playing the album this weekend, (I think Ms CoaB had it out for a sing song at the end of her hen night)

They supported the Throwing Muses in Pompey when I saw 'em

:)

ouchmonkey likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Playing "Can't be sure" on t'radio now.

What a chuffing ace choon.

19. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Harriet Wheeler now makes experimental drone/noise soundscapes.
    David Gaurin is now a landscape gardener (and part time Punch & Judy operator).
    Paul Brindley is a hard house DJ in Northampton.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nooooooo! :D

21. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

I bought "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic" when it first came out .... it was one of the first CDs I ever bought. Absolutely enchanting stuff .... particularly "Can't Be Sure" which is just beautiful. I got the subsequent albums much more recently and the sound never really developed. Would have been interesting to see what they would have done with computers and beats .... maybe they could have stolen a march on trip-hop.

22. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

I just did some googling and discovered there are bands named after every day of the week, apart from Thursday which is instead a Welsh footer team.

Wondering about The Cardigans and articles of clothing now. I loved The Cardigans...

23. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Or Thursday.

24. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Yeah, the Sundays were great. She has a totally unique voice.

25. Orang Utan

They were too 'soft' for me

26. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

oh yeah, those nu-bods

27. dada

dada :.. ':.. ... ...

oh i like them.
    i like their version of 'wild horses' from album 'blind',
    an album has a special place in my heart :)

28. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

I think they might have been totally Sarah Records if it wasn't for the weird, alien edge in her voice. That's what always sets them just on the right side of drippy for me.

29. Orang Utan

I confess I do have a soft spot for that song of theirs. The hit, can't quite remember what it's called - it goes 'it's that little souvenir of a beautiful year...' or summat

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That'll be, "Here's where the story ends" - but she's talking about a terrible year not a beautiful one!

Great lyric, mind:

Utopia likes this.