1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were your first, best & worst cars?

Discussion in 'transport' started by cupid_stunt, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Still on my first one, an Avensis 2.2 D-4D estate. This year's MOT brought the cumulative cost of fixing it to greater than the purchase price, which probably makes no sense (even less considering I drive it about once a month)

Has a wanky built-in satnav that was probably considered NASA technology in 2008. Red leather seats get noticed by people. Drives OK, makes occasional strange noises but good for lugging stuff and cheap on the fuel. Will be taxed out of London soon but we're not staying here anyway.

Quite a few minor dents and scratches, which I sort of like because I don't feel like I have to worry about it. No significant rust, modern cars seem way better for this, I remember how rotten my dad's cars would be when we were kids, and the smell of filler.

2. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Bentley T series. I'd not want a Rolls. Wrong type of people you know. Although that also true of modern Bentley.

Poi E likes this.
  3. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

A Bentley just came past me on the motorway, one of its headlights was out. Quality!

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

[​IMG]
    First car - a 1972 opal kadet which used to belong to my then gf's dad. He'd painted it white by hand - so it looked even worse than this. I had no license, no tax and no insurance and drove it quite happily for 6 months before the brakes went (you could get away with this in the 80s) .

[​IMG]
    My favourite car. It cost me £50 and was rusted to fuck. You could only fill the tank half way cos there was a hole in it. But it went like shit off a shovel and was incredibly easy and cheap to repair - i remember the alternator going at 10pm in the middle of rural Suffolk, but the bloke in the petrol station knew a bloke who came out with a replacement alternator and i was on the road again within 40 mins at the cost of a mere £30. Then it got stolen (cortina's were notoriously easy to thieve) and I never saw it again - and i was very sad.

[​IMG]
    worse car - morris ital automatic. when i put "morris ital" into google image search the first result was from a website called "the worst cars ever made".
    It was woefully underpowered for its size and was just shit on every level. No acceleration, slow, handled like a shopping trolley, shit fuel economy, looked horrible. This is what happened to the british car industry in the 70s - even worse than the allegro (i had one of those as well).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    cupid_stunt, A380 and weltweit like this.
  5. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

First. P Reg Mk 3 Cortina. It was a great car. I only had the 1.3l (I was 17) which probably saved me from killing myself. But didn’t stop me killing the car whilst trying to get it to do 100 on the downhill section of the M1 before Watford.

788F2FD6-1464-41FB-A3D1-D528FECEBA54.jpeg

My second car; I love and respect my mother but only once have I taken her advice on cars. After the sad demise of the Mk3 for some reason I brought this monstrosity. Fiat 126 Bis- a fiat buildt under licence in Poland before the Wall came down. Not good when it’s primary use was to drive me and two other apprentices from Watfied to Staples Corner every day. ‘The petrol will be cheap’ she said... not only did it have a choke, it had a fucking mixture control (in 1986!). The engine was in the back which kept trying to overtake the front. I rolled the fucker just before my 20th Birthday and I wasn’t even fucking about. I think the reason I survived was that it was so flimsy my head did more damage to the interia than it did to me.

FE8F9EC4-B2D3-41CF-AD69-B4274C749982.jpeg

Not the best car, probably, but the one I had most fun with. Mine was such an early model that even though it was an XR3i it wasn’t badged as that. I had it for five years.
    CA5459C0-6886-42B1-A357-DBDCC477E252.jpeg

6. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

I got nicked on exactly that stretch on a CBR600 I'd literally just bought and was riding home. Accidentallied up to 108mph and got a month's ban :mad: Good bike, that one

Just like this:

Honda_CBR600F_309.jpg

That's the bike I traded in to buy the brand new 1995 ZX6R I mentioned upthread. Only bike I ever had from new. Was such a fucking brilliant machine, I loved it so much :)

*wrong thread tbf* :oops:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    marty21 and A380 like this.
  7. weltweit

I got my bike related 28d ban on the M4 in Gwent. 110mph on my Suzuki. The mirrors were vibrating so much I thought 4 police cars had come up behind me :)

8. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

morris ital

:facepalm:

BL 'hearing aid beige'

:facepalm: :facepalm:

A380 and Kaka Tim like this.
  9. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

I achieved redemption by maxing out the tuned ZX9R I got after the ZX6R, while on an empty M40 on the way to the Bulldog Bash in 2000 - had 185 on the clock which was probably 170 or so in reality. Fast enough though tbf :eek: What a rush :thumbs::cool:

Bahnhof Strasse, A380 and weltweit like this.
  10. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

:D :D :D

A380 likes this.
  11. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

Probably all it could overtake :D

A380 likes this.
  12. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

First car:
    VW Golf. No GTI badge or anything like that. Early model that was chiselled from a lump of solid iron and did 0-60 eventually.

Worst:
    I loved my 1962 VW Beetle but if I’m to be honest it broke down a lot despite the fact I emptied my pockets via continuous maintenance.

Best:
    My view of best has changed over the years. I love my VW up as it’s £20 a year Tax, cheap insurance, runs all week long on a thimble of petrol and handles snow like a cat. Despite the fact it’s a small car it’s still a 5 door and has enough space inside to qualify for Tardis status.

A380 likes this.
  13. weltweit

I have often wondered how I would ride if I had owned a more modern bike, the fastest I have been on 2 wheels is about 125mph which was my 750s top whack lying prone. I had that in the era of the GSXR1100 and they used to fly past me as if I was doing 30mph :)

twentythreedom likes this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

two tone paint would not have been standard.

15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

My first was a mk3 1.6 Cortina. I think it was this car that died on the M1, coming off of it at Staples corner.

A380 likes this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

you mean like this?

[​IMG]

:p

17. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

First car I went and bought after my test in 1984 was a 1972 MGB GT. An idiot drove into the back of it a week later and wrote it off. :(

Worst car by a long way was a Rover P5B Coupe. Looked fantastic but ate geaboxes, starved itself of petrol, overheated and never got you to your destination.

Best car (also biggest regret selling) was my 1967 Volvo 1800S. Adored that car.

Although after a few months ownership of my TVR Chimaera 500, it's really starting to bond. The sound and the limitless immense power it has are just so addictive. :)

hash tag, weltweit, Spymaster and 2 others like this.
  18. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

First car= Ford Fiesta- can't remember much about it.

Worst car= Renault Megane. For those of you who remember the advert at the time, the accompanying song should've been 'I see you baby, shaking your fist'. The car cost literally 100s every month in repairs, the engine fault light would come on at every bloody opportunity. Even when I traded it in, the bastard decided to break down on the way to pick up the new car

My best car= a toss up between Peugeot 205 Junior 1.8 diesel -quite nippy, a Kia Carens 2.0 diesel- really roomy for the family & a cracking stereo/ Golf 1.9 tdi- even nippier and good mileage. I traded it in a couple of weeks ago for a newer, petrol golf, much smaller engine but much cheaper road tax.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  19. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

First car was a Toyota Carina. It kept breaking down.

Best car was a Mercedes E320. A 4 month old ex demononstrator with about 5k on the clock. I bought it from Mercedes HQ in Weybridge and they made the most of handing it over. We went in a showroom with just my car on under a white sheet. Mr Shoes, here is your new car - the sheet was wooshed off. They spent an hour telling me how it all worked and if I'd had time I could have taken it round their test track.
    The car was great too. I love car gadgets and Mercedes are always at the forefront. Fucking awesome stereo and the front seats reclined all the way. And there was no road noise at all.

Worst car. Easy, it's the Cityrover. I bought it see how shit it would be and it was far worse than I'd expected. The 1 star it gets on Whatcar oversells it . An uncomfortable ride, noisy engine, no power, shit equipment and poor economy. I kept it six months

20. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Cityrover? You didn't did you? :D

marty21, A380 and hash tag like this.
  21. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

I knew what I was getting into

A380 likes this.
  22. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

The first and worst- Morris Ital in bright orange.

[​IMG]

The best and latest-Jaguar XF

[​IMG]

23. 1927

And the full beam thing on the floor!

24. 1927

They were shit cars but looked cool as!

25. Dieselpunk2000

Dieselpunk2000 Well-Known Member

First- a Vauxhall Nova saloon. 1.2 Merit with Exclusive trim. Had it for a year. It was reliable but absolutely ugly and ungainly. For some reason it always got referred to as the Noddy Car.

Worst- Ford Transit Connect. A week after I bought it, the ABS pump shit the bed. I had it replaced(reluctantly) under the guarantee by the dealer. It scrubbed front tires without any effort. The starter motor seized up in the same week that the alternator had to be replaced. The half-shafts were the wrong type for the vehicle as I only found out when both CV joints had to be replaced. it was spectacularly thirsty for a 1.8 turbo diesel. It had a terrible drivers seat. I couldn't go for more than an hours' drive before my lower back turned to jelly. It had a nice driving position though. Sitting IN the van as opposed to sitting ON the van as I feel with my current Transit. I had the Connect for a year. I hope it's now sitting in bite-sized chunks on a dockside frag heap somewhere. Oh, and it was noisy. Like being in a room with a hammer drill complaining to a wood chipper.

Best- Suzuki Jimny. It was tough, economical, ultra reliable and had a whole load of extras fitted such as air con and roof bars. Sold it in 2009 to finance my business.

A380 likes this.
  26. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

A petrolhead at work was talking about jimnys on Friday :confused:
    Possibly the worst I have ever driven was a first generation, brand new, vitara convertible. It was slow, underpowered, noisy, leaked, poor build quality, cheap....
    on the plus side, you get have the top down and it was good at getting out of muddy fields at night.

27. existentialist

Weren't they also prone to overturning - not good on a vehicle with a non-structural roof!

Spymaster likes this.
  28. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I've been off road in a Vitara in South Africa and it was excellent. Didn't get stuck as much as the Landcruisers:D

29. existentialist

Well, there's rather less of them to GET stuck! I guess it may well have been one of those stories that highlights why driving off-road vehicles around on-road isn't always a smart idea :)

30. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Yup. Being lighter sure helps. Mind you, the new ones are getting porky, too.

dessiato likes this.