What was the first big news story you remember?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Reecejackox, Nov 8, 2019.

1. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Same here.

We're OLD:eek:

UrbaneFox, Guineveretoo and dessiato like this.
  2. ricbake

ricbake working out how

January 1965 was 6 years old and off school with whooping cough. I recreated Churchill's funeral with several battalions of toy soldiers and a match box for the coffin on a gun carriage.
    The memory is surprisingly vivid.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  3. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

The hunger strikes...and the hunger strikers. It was something that really shocked me. And of course as kids we were all making a feck of Maggie Thatcher and her "out out out"...but we didnt have much real understanding of what was reallu going on.

And I remember interest rates as percentages on ads on telly. Noticing them going up and to 2 digits...

Idris2002 and HoratioCuthbert like this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato I have earned the right to sing the blues

No. We're properly maturing like fine wines.

MickiQ likes this.
  5. Serge Forward

Serge Forward Utopian materialist

1968. Man United winning the European Cup.

6. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert It ain’t over, I’m not done.

I appear to have merged the memories of 3 storms, I discovered just now googling- the great storm of 87, the storm of 89 which saw the collapse of the railway bridge in Inverness(my auntie’s flat shook) and the burns’ day storm of 1990 which Gordon Kaye was injured in, which I was really upset about. I mind my auntie coming in and telling me he wasn’t actually going to die.

So i was 5, 6 and 7 years old.

ETA: doh, the bridge collapse was after a flood rather than a storm, the river flooded in ‘90 too.

kebabking likes this.
  7. HoratioCuthbert

Over here she did a fart that blew up the USA.
    Notably, you don’t hear kids singing about any other prime minister to my knowledge.

8. HoratioCuthbert

Hillsborough in 89 too- a less local one. I remember that very clearly :(

9. Idris2002

Idris2002 perkins saved by moscow gold

Death of Elvis Presley.

ZANLA and ZIPRA cadres coming in from the bush during the brief "Zimbabwe-Rhodesia" thing (possibly a staged propaganda effort?)

Airey Neave assassination.

10. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

one of the later moon landings.
    yom kippur war (cos tanks - i was into tanks)
    nixon resigning.
    73- 74.

just looked it up and last moon landing was dec 1972 - so that i guess

11. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Be who you needed when you were younger

Falklands. I was 5. Evacuated from Buenos Aires, had to leave my school overnight. I knew what the Malvinas was aged 4. Obviously didn't know what a 'news story' was at that age. Then called an 'Argie' at a UK primary school for a while. Then the miners strike.

Sepia tinted memories.

A380 and MrSki like this.
  12. Jennastan

Jennastan bloop

I vaguely remember Ted Heath becoming prime minster and my mum explaining the difference between Labour and Conservative. Oh and the end of the Vietnam War when the Americans had to flee, and I remember Gerald Ford becoming president though not any part of the Watergate scandal for some reason.

A lot of the stuff I remember would be hard to pin down as specific events, such as the Vietnam War, IRA bombs going off, strikes.

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

remember the power cuts in 1973/4

don't really remember the 1974 election

remember the 1975 referendum although don't think i had much clue at the time as to what yes / no might have been the answer to (i wasn't all that politically active as a 5 year old)

14. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

John Lennon shot dead, Falklands, Iran embassy, italy won the world cup, hijacks, the troubles, iran iraq conflict, regan shot, clunk click.. All that era kind of stuff

15. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

We moved in June 74, when I was seven. I can date events after that and remember them clearly, but anything before we moved is just random memories I couldn’t date at all.

16. Detroit City

Detroit City Not a well known member

that was a sad day :(

S☼I likes this.
  17. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

That's exactly like my memories (except it was 1976, also aged seven). Before that is all a bit of a jumble.

18. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

It really wasn't.

19. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Wry Observor of Humanoid Folly

The Kosovo war. Two or three of the kids in my form had a child refugee housed with them and they brought them to morning registration. Genuinely no idea what they did after that, as I never saw them in any actual classes.

20. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Oh hell yes. My dad was a massive Man Utd fan and me and my sister had special Man Utd pyjamas in celebration of this.
    I was George Best and she was Brian Kidd:thumbs:

Serge Forward and Lupa like this.
  21. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Condescension and embedded self importance

Tough question, but I suppose the first time I realised the news was important to me was reading about South American dictators, that leading to my first political action - joining amnesty international's letter writing campaign of that time.
    A small dip of one little toe in politics' muddy waters.

22. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

I remember the Dunnes anti apartheid strike.

23. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Remember Elvis’s death, seeing it on the news while playing at a neighbours house, being told it was due to ‘drink and drugs’ and thinking that meant he’d taken an aspirin with a glass of water which you weren’t supposed to do or something like that. Lennon being shot, the Iranian embassy siege, though those were later.

danny la rouge likes this.
  24. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Back to the mug-shot

It being 1960. Everything after that.

25. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Also remember on the news the army green goddess fire engines being out (due to normal fire brigade being on strike), that was quite exciting for a young child.

26. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

I remember the newsflash, remember those? That came on in the commercial break during Take Your Pick to say President Kennedy had been shot. Then another at the next break to say he’d died. That would have been seven o’ clock on the Friday. The next report about the shooting wasn’t on until the BBC News at nine. I remember seeing the first footage of Oswald being shot by Ruby.

danny la rouge likes this.
  27. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

ABBA winning Eurovision
    1976 Montreal Olympics

28. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Yom Kippur War in 1973. Grainy footage of tanks in the desert.

29. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman it was already like that when I got here

I'd like to say the death of Stephen Milligan as that's my favourite news story ever but I think it was the miners strike.

davesgcr, Proper Tidy and SpackleFrog like this.
  30. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Was supposed to be the first teacher in space so there had been a special focus on that shuttle on childrens tv/in schools. I remember seeing it explode on the telly when I was home after school. Newsround almost certainly.

Some of my early news memories probably havent stuck. First one I can still remember for sure hearing at the time was the sinking of HMS Coventry, which I heard on the radio - it probably stuck because I live near Cov so the name would have resonated.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.