What two English league teams have never played each other?

Discussion in 'football' started by toblerone3, Nov 5, 2018.

1. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

By "league" I mean Premiership, Championship and Leagues One and Two.

2. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I've tried googling by the way but can't find anything. Obviously there will be some clubs which have recently been promoted into League Two but have a limited history of fixtures which have never played some of the Premiership and Championship clubs. But are there any long established "league clubs" which have never met?

3. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

I don’t think the issue is with the word league, I think the biggest issue is the definition of the word “played”. I am sure lots of English club’s first teams haven’t played a competitive game against others. For example, I imagine that Arsenal’s first team haven’t played Forest Green, Cheltenham or Morecambe in a competitive game, maybe not even in friendlies. The under-21s are now playing them though. Imagine it might be the same for quite a few of the teams that have been in the top division for a long time that wouldn’t have met teams in the lower leagues.

Doubt there is a list for all clubs. I imagine you would have to do it club by club to see who has played who. For example, Arsenal’s league opponent list is here (would also need to consider cup games too).

Arsenal F.C. league record by opponent - Wikipedia

4. strung out

strung out (",)

If we're talking league matches, Arsenal have never played Bristol Rovers, Rochdale and Plymouth, along with loads of other clubs I expect.

If you exclude cup competitions, it's harder to do...

Accrington have never played Arsenal, although Accrington are a different club to the one who originally played in the league.

5. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

So Arsenal (5th in Premier, ranked 5) and
    Accrington (6th in League One, ranked 50)

...are the highest ranked teams combined never to have played each other. Combined rank = 55. Are there any more prominent teams who have never played each other in the league?

6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Everton & Hartlepool

7. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

If you're sticking with Arsenal and sticking with league games, Arsenal have never played Rotherham United, who are currently 18th in the Championship. They have played them in the League Cup though. And also played Rotherham Town in the league.

8. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

By the OP definition, Hartlepool are no longer a "league" team.

Fez909 likes this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

True but the thread premise is woolley.

As OP says, you could pick a newly promoted/formed side and it's easy.

Hartlepool have been a league team for a long period yet never played Everton.

I'm having it :)

10. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

There is quite a good list of all Everton's opponents in all competitions.

Everton Results

The lowest placed team in the league currently they have not played is Accrington Stanley (6th in League 1), although they played the old one. After that it is Fleetwood Town (11th in League One). Looking for more established league clubs, comes to Wycombe Wanderers and then Rochdale, in the league since 1921.

11. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Having spent almost 100 years in the bottom two divisions, it is quite likely Rochdale haven't played many of the teams who haven't fallen below the second level. Not sure how many teams fall into that latter group - Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham...

12. strung out

strung out (",)

As far as I can tell, Rochdale have never played a competitive game against Everton, Newcastle, West Brom, Ipswich or West Ham

There's a list here: Rochdale football club: record v other sides

Maltin likes this.
  13. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Rochdale played Tottenham this year.

Twice.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  14. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Maltin likes this.
  15. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

I was grouping Spurs as a team who hadn’t played below the second level in the last 100 years, not who hadn’t played Rochdale.

16. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Pre-season friendlies makes it tricky I'd imagine. Even my team Penzance have played Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester at some point.

SpookyFrank and Badgers like this.
  17. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Pre-season friendlies don't count, shorely? League, FA Cup & League Cup. Or Europe, I suppose. Proper matches.

18. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

MK Dons must have a fair amount of teams they've never met in the English league

19. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Forest Green V the majority of the 92. Since promotion from the conference was sorted there are loads.