What to see/do in Leeds

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by Callie, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Only a few weeks now until I head up to Leeds, I would appreciate advice on where to go, things to do, what to see and pubspubspubs..... Maybe foods. Pleeeeease advised me urban!

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Leeds is a bit shit as a tourist destination, tbh (sorry!). There's not a lot to do here - it's very much a working/living city, but it's great for that.

Places I like:

MyThai - cheap Thai food in unfussy surroundings. Good for daytime, rather than evening meals
    Hansa's - A vegetarian Indian restaurant, which serves things I've never seen elsewhere. A little pricy considering it's all veg, but not too bad
    Aghrah or Akhbars - Both more traditional Indians, but the quality is high and the naans are huge. Reasonably priced.
    The Reliance - a relaxing bar/charcuterie with good beers. Next door to Hansa's so handy for calling in if you're in that part of town
    A Nation of Shopkeepers - a nice bar which borders on 'cool' without being wanky. Good outdoor bit and ocassionally has a band on.
    Brod - Lovely sandwich shop
    The Adelphi - One of the best pubs in Leeds. Down by the river. Old fashioned pub in decoration, but feels fairly modern
    Distrikt - A tiny underground bar seeling nice food by day and good electronic music by night. Often have pretty big DJs on with free entry
    The Cross Keys - a moderately expensive restaurant with really nice food. Definitely an evening place.
    The Angel - One of the cheapest pubs in town that isn't shit. Down a side alley off the main shopping street. Can be hard to find but ask anyone and they'll direct you. Reminds me a bit of the pubs in York (though scruffier).
    The Alchemist - poncey cocktails with dry ice and all that shizz. Not my thing, really, but it's got a nice outdoor bit. It's above the Trinity Centre.
    The Belgrave Music Hall - Good music and probably the best burgers I've ever tasted. Beers are interesting but expensive. AMAZING beer garden - the best in Leeds. Hipster central :hmm:

Orang Utan, tufty79 and Callie like this.
  3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

4. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Well I'm up for a training course so I thought I'd try to make a weekend of it, the course is Thurs/Fri :) I'm excited, I'm from Croydon, it'll be AMAZING

tufty79 and Fez909 like this.
  5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Is your course in the city centre? If not, I can recommend some stuff closer to where you are? All the above are central.

6. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Can you do much on or near the river? I like rivers

7. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

tufty79 and Fez909 like this.
  8. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Leeds uni, fairly central AFAIK... I have no idea tbh and it looks central ish on the map

9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The river is a bit messed up. It's well developed around there, but actual access to the river is poor and there's nothing going on there in the way of boats etc.

The bit around the Calls and up to the Royal Armories is OK. Plenty of bars and restaurants etc.

tufty79 likes this.
  10. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I do like ham, ham and rivers *increasing excitement*

tufty79 likes this.
  11. Callie

Callie Pivoting

People walking dogs???

12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Leeds Uni is about 15 minutes walk from the centre, aye. Leeds is a pretty compact city.

13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

You can't walk alongside most of the river :(

There's a canal which is easily accessible if walking next to water is your primary aim :D

tufty79 likes this.
  14. Callie

Callie Pivoting

If its a possibility I may gravitate towards water. And I like dogs so they're just a bonus.

tufty79 likes this.
  15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

If the weather is nice, you could head over to Kirkstall Abbey. It's about 2/3 miles from the uni and on a major bus route. Access to the river, a ruined abbey and lots of open space

[​IMG]

Callie and tufty79 like this.
  16. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

If you want dog walkers, head onto Woodhouse ridge, about five/ten min walk from the uni. You can go up to headingley and on to meanwood park/the hollies, (which is rumoured to have inspired Tolkien or something) . There's a biggish stream running through, a standing stone, amazing woodland paths and lots of dogs :cool:

Callie and Fez909 like this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Also there's a GREAT pub called the Bridge near Kirkstall Abbey. One of my favourites...and very popular with dogs (and their humans :) )

18. Callie

Callie Pivoting

19. tufty79

The Fenton on Woodhouse Lane by the uni has a good ale selection, pool, a great beer garden and a pub dog called pickle :)

20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The Bridge's rather excellent riverside beer garden

[​IMG]

21. tufty79

Coffee in pasta romagna in town when gilda's on shift is essential btw.

Fez909 likes this.
  22. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

And I suppose the Corn Exchange is worth a look, even if just to check out the lovely building. Sadly they're ruined a lot of what made it good (independent, interesting shops), but they still occasionally have interesting stuff on, like vintage fairs and whatever.

[​IMG]

tufty79 likes this.
  23. tufty79

Don't forget to meet people off the Internet ;)

24. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

There's a big shiny new shopping centre which is mostly shit, but it does have a Lego shop.

Lanes (near the station on the road that curves up to the main entrance from the east) is a very well regarded coffee shop by people I know who drink coffee.

Callie, Fez909 and tufty79 like this.
  25. InfoBurner

InfoBurner Everything Is Under Control

26. tufty79

Absolutely :)

Wharf chambers round the corner is nice too - in there at the moment with a cheeky stout and whisky. I think you need tp apply for membership but 24 hours in advance - will edit info in later :)

27. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

You can sign a few guests in, so not a problem if you're accompanied by a member. It's a proper cooperative club and getting along really well in a city of flash bars and trustfunded hipster joints.

tufty79 likes this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm playing Leeds Brudenell Social this Friday (and Preston the next day). So what's a good alt/indie bar to check out later?

It looks like tickets are selling well for the Leeds show, but I may be able to sort out a couple of guest passes....

29. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

in what capacity are you playing the brud?

30. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The only ones I know of are Bad Apples on Call Lane and the Key Club under the Merrion Centre.

Never been to either so can't vouch for their quality!