What stupid shit has Trump done today?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Yossarian, May 1, 2017.

1. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

MightyTibberton likes this.
  2. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Donkey piss and tractors

Russia Russia Russia! God bless Kelly Anne!

3. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Stolen from Stephen King's twitter

xfiles.jpg

4. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

As with Brexit, the bastards are all at each others' throats. What's not to like, as they say these days?

5. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 front left

CRI likes this.
  6. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Hope he does, and nothing "untoward" happens to him in the meantime.

Wasn't surprised by this, as a lot of what the Trump administration does is symbolic - like Executive Orders they know won't fly, but they send a strong message of "don't fuck with us".

Capture4.JPG

a_chap and ruffneck23 like this.
  7. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 front left

This had crossed my mind

CRI likes this.
  8. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Vlad didn't have to "trust" TTT with anything, just give him the opportunity to dig himself into a hole of greed and corruption that can at some future point be used as leverage, doesn't have to be a complicated web of intrigue and treason, just give him the the opportunity to do 'deals' that will appeal to his narcisstic ego, but that in the cold light of day would be politically damaging.

CRI and existentialist like this.
  9. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

Well, yes. Only this shit tends to come with a lot of collateral damage.

Nylock, CRI and ruffneck23 like this.
  10. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

We'll await with bated breath the moment when this kind of shit doesn't.

11. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

Putin is about promoting division, destabilisation and confusion surely? Trust isn't the issue or objective.

CRI likes this.
  12. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Yes, only Putin has ever done this.

13. stockwelljonny

Yes of course but was replying to comment about Putin:
    I have to say that I'm still sceptical about the hidden Russian hand - whatever else Vlad P. may be, he's not a fool, and only a fool would put any trust in The Dong

CRI and existentialist like this.
  14. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

I am pretty sure that the phrase "useful idiot" ("polezniye duraki") is of Russian origin.

As is the word "maskirovka" (roughly translates as "deception", but is in reality usually "deception of such complexity that nobody believes anyone would actually do that").

CRI likes this.
  15. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Why do you assume both positions aren't possible?
    He's as thick as pig Shyte but thinks his base is even thicker.

CRI likes this.
  16. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

And so what if there is an 'hidden Russian hand' here? It's nothing, and nor is what the Russians are doing in Ukraine, or anywhere else, compared to the bloodbaths the US has financed and supported across the world for decades, and will continue to do.

17. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Anyone heard of Robert Mercer? He's high on my radar at the moment. He's deeply involved in this shit. Steve Bannon, Brexit, Trump (through Cambridge Analytica), Breitbart news, Nigel Farage, etc.
    Robert Mercer (businessman) - Wikipedia

Yuwipi Woman and CRI like this.
  18. coley

coley Well-Known Member

He isn't the owner, the danger, is that he's deluded enough to think he is.

MightyTibberton likes this.
  19. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Every country does it, but usually to the detriment of countries they regard as potentially hostile, only TTT seems to be doing it to his own country!?

CRI likes this.
  20. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Don't forger the Koch brothers:D

Ming likes this.
  21. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

You reckon?

22. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

I sometimes feel a bit conflicted about whether the Citizens United verdict just made obvious what was going on anyway. Money buying influence. I suppose it makes it easier so its a bad thing (don't forget about Sheldon :D). Seriously though this Mercer guy (due to his ownership of Cambridge Analytica which influenced both Brexit and Trump (and he is involved in Breibart News) is deeply involved in this shift to authoritarian nationalism on both sides of the Atlantic. Scary dude. Take a look at him.

MightyTibberton and CRI like this.
  23. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Aye, I do. We are seeing a lot of it in the current round of 'non negotiating' statements coming from the EU.
    But that's just an example, TTT seems to be hell bent on destroying any semblance of bipartisan governance left in the US.

24. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's always been my justification for selling smack to schoolkids. Luckily, I've never had to use it on anyone who's not an idiot.

25. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the supercilious smirk while you're dealing.

26. coley

coley Well-Known Member

DP

27. stockwelljonny

Is that how it works? It's all relative?

28. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

There's nur way I'd smirk any of my own supply.

29. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

'We' should all go after Russia and Putin. Then, when that's been achieved, just maybe the world will have learned its lesson, and all such shit will cease.
    Happy ever after etc.

30. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

I think many people have been poo pooing the idea that there is any Russian connection with the election or the Trump administration, and I don't mean just his loyal followers. I think it's where they've been looking at it to narrowly - that "intervention" means "trying to take over the country" as was the fear back in the old cold war days. The Russian government wants an American Government that will, at best, make choices that are favourable to Russia (e.g. dropping sanctions, doing business that will further enrich the wealthiest, etc.). At worst, they'll just poke their beaks out and let Russia do what it wants wherever they want to. I agree with what many have said here - there already seems plenty evidence of involvement that tracks back to Putin, but I think the purpose has been to sow instability, mistrust, confusion and exhaustion among Americans, and legislators, so they are more likely to give Russia a pass and less like to pull them up on anything.

I have no idea whether Trump is the clever man playing the fool to get what he wants or if he really is a fool. It's not all about him, anyhow. There are plenty in his cabinet and wider circle who no doubt see it in their own financial interests to lift sanctions and forge lucrative links with Russian leaders and oligarchs. It's not really an arm wrestle over ideology US-Soviet relationships appeared to be say 30 or 40 years ago. These days, it's all about exploitation and wealth accumulation - the kleptocracy. That's why I tend to speak of his administration, or the administration and GOP congress. Every single one that hasn't stood against him when they had a chance is complicit in what's happening. Some are more than that - instigators and agents, driven by greed.

I think there are too many Americans who are still clinging to the idea of American exceptionalism - the "this can't really be happening here," like the frog in the stewpot that hasn't realised the water is getting hotter and hotter. Then there are the folk who backed trump because they like his policies (e.g. banning abortion, reversing rights for women and minority groups, halting immigration, etc.) They probably have reservations, but are able to push those aside if they think they can get what they want.

As authoritarian regimes traditionally do, this one is toiling to remove as many opportunities for holding the administration and congress to account. The not so veiled threats also send a clear message to anyone who thinks they can stand in the way. It won't just be America that suffers if the nation's decline continues like this.

So, I'm pretty gloomy on this at the moment.