What stupid shit has Trump done today?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Yossarian, May 1, 2017.

1. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Condescension and embedded self importance

What really gets me about this is the massive stupidity of the republican party - They're putting political gain over the good of the country they were voted in to serve.
    Frankly, they're an obnoxious bunch of bastards.

2. Don Troooomp

In interesting news, that being apart from Trump trying to set up a war against Iran, mini idiot Trump has been ordered to testify.
    I wonder if he'll turn up and, if he does, will he lie?

Senate Intel Committee subpoenas Donald Trump Jr. in Russia probe

3. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

The White House revoked my press pass. It’s not just me — it’s curtailing access for all journalists.

(Key points below, as is paywalled if you've used your freebies up.)

Will soon be just Fox News and Breitbart allowed in.

krtek a houby likes this.
  5. gosub

gosub ~#

CRI likes this.
  6. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

""In a close-doors GOP lunch, Burr walked through the backstory of the subpoena for Don Jr and defended his investigation’s work, per to people directly familiar. McConnell also spoke up, the people said, offering his support for Mr. Burr and his handling of the committee"".

If "case closed" McConnell is on board something is a bit sus , trying to getahead of something perhaps ?? , surely it would have been better to wait for the full fat Mueller release with the non redacted evidence

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    CRI likes this.
  7. Tankus

Feds open foreign-money investigation into Trump donor Cindy Yang

just another day

8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

While I find it rather hard to believe that Junior HAS any allies . . . looks like the Trump regime is tightening the thumb screws on renegade GOP senators. Be interesting to see if they come to heel.
    Allies of Trump’s Son Declare War on G.O.P.-Led Senate Panel After Subpoena

9. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

trump-great-news-lands-thud

10. gosub

gosub ~#

11. spring-peeper

Trump really does not understand how tariffs work. I hope some one explains it to him....

Trump's claims of '$100 billion' in Chinese tariff payments just don't add up

His whole twitter drivel:

click to see it all

Chilli.s likes this.
  12. Don Troooomp

13. Don Troooomp

The rest of the sentence was pointless - he doesn't understand anything

CRI and spring-peeper like this.
  14. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Ivanka Trump tweets, then deletes, photo with “National Security Strategy” document

15. Humberto

Humberto forsooth

You are carrying the military. Not your soldiers who serve, the leachers who leave them in danger and control the purse.

16. Humberto

Humberto forsooth

But no mistake, the American military is bloated and is a massive ripoff exercise. Its never been worse. Except in the future.

Fuck it I'm posting it.

likesfish likes this.
  17. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

A question for the US posters. So Bill Barr gets held in contempt for not turning up. Trump gets subpoenaed for his tax returns and refuses. Is this stuff actually legal? And if not why aren't we seeing any consequences?

18. Tankus

So......the Ukrainians didn't want Giuliani to come as it would make their country look ...errr .... corrupt !

19. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

CRI likes this.
  20. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

This is a worrying development regarding the US Supreme Court.

upload_2019-5-13_16-20-10.png
    Link to tweet, which includes a link to the decision, and responses from some very worried legal bods. :(

21. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

You only just realised that the Supreme Court is Trump's ultimate triumph?

Debate, discuss, reason, research, squabble all you like - it's all eventually decided by Kavanaugh & co.

Have. You. Only. Just. Realised. THIS??!??

22. petee

petee i'm spartacus

the legal issues are pretty subtle and i'm no expert. however,

Practically, holding Barr in contempt is unlikely to change the landscape on the ground -- Republicans used the same maneuver against President Barack Obama's attorney general, Eric Holder -- but it is laying the groundwork for the brewing, multi-pronged court battle between the Trump administration and congressional Democrats.
    House committee votes to hold William Barr in contempt after Trump invokes executive privilege - CNNPolitics

even some rightwing sites support the house's actions, rule of law, separation of powers and that.
    Donald Trump Jr. Subpoena, Senate Intelligence Committee Proper, Warranted Oversight | National Review

as for why you're not seeing any consequences, basically you could get yourself killed by some "patriot" for daring to contradict the emperor in the white house.
    Cesar Sayoc pleads guilty to mailing explosive devices - CNN

and if you go down this road, you don't want to fail, because that makes trump stronger. imho, it's better to float this sort of stuff and just leave it hanging in the air, which is exactly what muller did. from a political point of view this was more effective (= damaging to trump) than carrying through.

CRI and Ming like this.
  23. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

This is a worrying development regarding the US Supreme Court.

View attachment 170896
    Link to tweet, which includes a link to the decision, and responses from some very worried legal bods.

I knew this before he was elected - actually I knew there were risks to the Supreme Court full stop if there was a GOP president and majority in the senate in 2016, as the Republicans had already signaled they planned to control the court with their refusal to even hold hearings on the appointment of Merrick Garland, a relative moderate, nominated by Obama.

Trump and the GOP have gone so much further than nominating and approving candidates (at least Kavanaugh) with such obvious bias that they'd never get bipartisan support. They've subverted the process to pack courts at all levels with unqualified, inexperienced far right GOP loyalist judges. And of course we saw how they shoved through a patently inappropriate candidate to the SCOTUS when they made it Kavanaugh or bust.

Although decisions of the SCOTUS have generally fallen along political lines (and to a degree did even before 2016), this is something different. It's turning its back on legal precedent or "settled law." Basically, signalling that "anything goes," and just because something was regarded as constitutional, or unconstitutional by the SCOTUS in the past, it doesn't mean they'll refer to that going foward.

Not surprised, but still shocking to see the continued march of authoriarianism in real time. :(

24. gosub

gosub ~#

25. spring-peeper

26. spring-peeper

https://www.villagevoice.com/2019/05/09/donald-trumps-tower-of-trouble/

27. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Good summary here of the wider significance of recent state legislation to ban abortion, how we got here, and why the US may never get out of this deep, dark hole. :(

The GOP Has Its Final Anti-Abortion Victory in Sight

28. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

And wait, here's more - how policy is being changed by stealth.

Trump Administration to LGBT Couples: Your ‘Out of Wedlock’ Kids Aren’t Citizens

29. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

And part of dismembering the infrastructure of state, bit by bit, one seemingly dull procedure after another, you get assholes like this senior official (like a senior civil servant) smirking and acting like it's all a big joke, when asked a genuine question by a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about security of the US.

spring-peeper likes this.
  30. spring-peeper

In response to the Christchurch initiative - claims it inhibits free speech.

Trump's White House just put up an online form for people to complain about social media censorship

CRI likes this.