What stupid shit has Trump done today?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Yossarian, May 1, 2017.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Here's "my" answer. It's probably not "the" answer:

Let's face it, all governments are corrupt little protection rackets. It's just a matter of degree. And near as I can tell, democracy is just the ability to choose your own oppressor. I suppose I could support those statements with a bunch of bullshit theories and citations, but I won't. I don't give a crap about theories, I want to hear about strategy to get from point A to point B. "Point B" being somewhere where my friends don't die because they don't have access to healthcare, or only live to an average age of 54, while people in affluent neighborhoods live to an average of 92.*

I will explain why I'm still throwing some support the Democrats way:

Over the last few decades the Dems have usually allowed a little more to fall of the dinner table for the rest of us. This isn't anything more than scraps, but its enough sometimes for people to survive. The Reps want it all... every little fucking scrap. They'll take the bread out of your grandmother's mouth and call you a "snowflake" for objecting. They know a lot of us survive on the scraps they leave and they don't give a fuck. You've heard the term "snowflakes"? I'm hearing an even grimmer one: "zombies" (walking dead) to describe poor people who need government assistance to survive. That sounds shockingly like "useless eaters" to me. So if voting for Dems allows just enough to roll off the table for my friends and family to survive, then I'll vote that way. It's the best of a lot of shitty options.

The other reason is that the Democratic party is ripe for being taken over. The central leadership is corrupt, overly invested in theory at the expense of communicating clearly to working people, and most importantly ... dying. They only hang on because of the big money donations they get from corporations. Bernie Sanders has shown that you can still get a lot of money together by gathering a lot of poor people together to donate small amounts. Politics, is in part, a money game, at least a long as we have elections funded in the way that we do.

Why I'm still invested at all:

Where I live, the Berniecrats are very quietly taking over. We've gotten one person on the city counsel. We have another couple running for Natural Resources Board--the one that decides the fate of the Keystone XL pipeline. (We need to place one member on the board to overturn the last decision of the board). We're working on fielding more candidate for more positions. (Berniecrats tend to be introverts for some reason.) We already have the board of the local electric company and we're going over 50% renewable in a year and half. Repeat this state by state, and board by board, and eventually we'll have enough power to throw the national folks out on their fat asses. (Don't worry about them. I'm sure they'll all find nice jobs working as lobbyists for some corporation.)

I hear a lot of criticism from people who seem mostly mired in theory, but I don't see much from them in step-by-step action I can take to get from point A to point B. If anyone has a better game plan, I'll certainly listen. As I've said, I probably don't have "the" answer, but its the best answer I have at the moment. And I'll apologize for sounding a little snarky. I'm just so damn tired.

* I have seen stats that demonstrate this from a study done by our local health dept.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

41 dead so far today as El Trumpo's new embassy opens in Jerusalem

3. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

Not so much stupid as disturbing and pathetic:

ICE Reports They Have Lost Track Of 1500 Children They've Taken From Parents

That's right, not only do they separate kids from their parents, afterwards they don't bother to check on what they've done with the kids. . . some of whom are (by my guess) probably clicking their heels somewhere in the Hamburger Archipelago that is the private prison industry.

4. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

What does El Trumpo mean?

5. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

I think he means to destroy the world...

CRI likes this.
  6. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I don't think even he knows half the time.

7. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

I genuinely don't understand why some still seem to think Trump is just the same as every other president and the GOP are just the same as they've always been. Not saying any presidents have been saints or that Republicans haven't been dirty bastards since at least the early 60's, but what's happening now is in a WHOLE new league. I don't know many people living in the US saying now it's just "same old thing." Either they fully back the direction Trump and the GOP are taking things or at least aren't bothered enough to stop voting GOP, or they disagree and to varying degrees, are trying to stop it. Problem is that many of those who oppose are also among the most disenfranchised, poor, vulnerable and otherwise marginalised, and have become increasingly so since the 2016 election.

It's genuinely crisis situation, like none other I've known in my lifetime. Waiting for a candidate to come along who ticks every single box before you'll do anything means Trump/GOP will continue apace with dismantling democracy, coalescing their power, amassing wealth for themselves and their rich supporters, destroying the environment and the already ragged infrastructure and punishing the most marginalised. The longer they're given, the less chance there will be of halting, let alone reversing the damage.

The priority has to be getting them out, or at least weakening their position as much as possible - so November 2018, pull out every stop to flip the House and try to shift the Senate, although there may not be enough GOP seats up for that to happen. Field and back the more left of centre candidates in more liberal and/or urban areas where they have a good chance of success. Go for those who are less so in more conservative and rural parts like where I come from where, at least they have some chance of winning. It worked in the Alabama Senate race, and others.

As long as you get candidates willing to stick to some policy absolutes (e.g. civil rights, human rights, universal healthcare, reproductive choice, etc.) surely it's better to have some people in office who will vote the way you want say 80 or 90% of the time than having a GOP majority that will just change the rules to stop anyone but them having a say. Once the march to the right is stopped, or slowed substantially, that's the time to reflect, learn from the shit that has happened, and I can definitely see the Democratic Party moving unapologetically to the left. Maybe not as far as some want, but it needs to be a process over time. Got no time for anyone hoping things get even worse as that will "bring on the revolution." Nope, if that was a prospect, it would have happened by now.

Folks can decry the two party system, whine about big money in politics, bleat about inflexible party machines, etc., but like it or not, change has to start where the situation is now. No US congress or even state candidates won just with small contributions from individuals. Even Sanders accepted PAC money and DNC funds, because you have to to even be in the game. I saw a piece about a month ago saying that appealing for individual donations is good, but not enough Yes, plenty of candidates in special elections the past year have benefited from nickle and dime donations, but that in itself isn't enough to cut it. It said that unless you reach people with your message, they won't know who you are, let alone donate to you or vote for you. At the moment, reaching out like that requires money. Change campaign finance rules when the GOP are no longer running the show, but until then, standing on the moral high ground with big ideas, empty pockets and a lucky rabbits foot means you'll end up still stuck outside and ignored while the country continues over the cliff.

DexterTCN and a_chap like this.
  8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

I've heard a few commentators suggest that he's so angry about his own mortality that he's willing to destroy the world and take as many people with him before or when he goes. He certainly doesn't give a flying fuck about anyone other than himself, and people he thinks he can use.

9. Yuwipi Woman

He wants to make it over in his own image. That's probably the same thing in practice.

CRI likes this.
  10. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Yup. :(

kazza007 likes this.
  11. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

12. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

The US Department of Health & Human Services' Office of Refugee Resettlement made a "small" change to their website last August. Well, they're aliens, so who cares if they disappear, beam up to the mother ship, whatever, eh? :(

upload_2018-5-15_1-7-29.png
    upload_2018-5-15_1-8-4.png

13. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Well-Known Member

CRI likes this.
  14. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Trump administration preparing to shelter migrant children on military bases

15. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Oklahoma GOP candidate proposes euthanasia for disabled and poor to avoid food stamps

16. Yuwipi Woman

CRI likes this.
  17. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Bastard of the highest order.

Jared Kushner’s Other Real Estate Empire

18. Don Troooomp

Seems Trump's business partner in Indonesia has just struck a deal with China to be part of a Trump project in Bali.
    I'm sure this one has nothing to do with the other.

Edit - Seems the Chinese companies work together when trying to get large contracts in various countries. I'll bet both bosses are members of the same golf club
    Copper deal helps Afghan's future - China - Chinadaily.com.cn

spring-peeper and CRI like this.
  19. Don Troooomp

CRI likes this.
  20. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Evil and mad as ever:

Don Troooomp likes this.
  21. Don Troooomp

Trump said, "These aren't people, they're animals" - I say, "Fuck off, you sick puppy".

22. Don Troooomp

Fuck a duck, I nailed that one (no, I'm not quoting Trump talking about Stormy)

23. Don Troooomp

Finally, the bastard has been forced to admit he paid her off

Stormy Daniels: Trump discloses payment to reimburse lawyer - Trump discloses Stormy Daniels settlement

The ethics committee has sent the good news to concerned parties.

CRI and krtek a houby like this.
  24. Don Troooomp

25. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

26. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I wonder how long Trump is going to continue alternately schmoozing and trying to bully Kim before he figures out that international diplomacy might require a different skillset than what he learned in New York real estate.

I'd be surprised if the Singapore summit went ahead now, though I'd been half-expecting it to conclude with a body double Kim pulling a knife out of his fake belly and stabbing Trump anyway.

CRI and Don Troooomp like this.
  27. Don Troooomp

A federal crime - if someone can prove he missed mentioning the payments deliberately

Trump failure to disclose Cohen payments last year raises red flags - CNNPolitics

The excuse does sound a lot knowing and wilful.

CRI likes this.
  28. Don Troooomp

CRI likes this.
  29. Don Troooomp

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    CRI likes this.
  30. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Goebbels was far from an idiot

maomao, NoXion and a_chap like this.