What smells do you associate with Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 29, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The two smells I associate most with Brixton are the smell of incense outside Iceland and the popcorn by Reliance Arcade.

Back in the day, there was always wafts of weed in the air but that's pretty much gone with gentrification, and replaced with stale piss in doorways on weekends.

What's your Brixton smells?!

Smick likes this.
  2. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I haven't lived in Brixton for about 8 years but it was the sweet smell of weed with the reggae soundtrack around my flat with the locals chilling on the big stairs in front of their houses.In the centre it was the smell of the fishmongers & butchers.

3. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

It depends where you stand (and when) but diesel smoke is definitely a strong tone at any time of day or night.

Smick and Pickman's model like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, yes. There was always a waft of fish on Atlantic Road before Network Rail kicked everyone out.

5. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Smoked fish, weed, air pollution, Reliance's popcorn, cheap incense, cocoa butter, frying fat, McDonalds, jerk smoke, the afterburn of crack, fox piss, hot concrete, just-wet grass, burning rubber . I don't like a lot of it but I miss it when it's not there!

Thimble Queen, 8ball and editor like this.
  6. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Spliff & urine

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some twitter responses:

8. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Spending a more of my life than I care to count waiting at the Brixton station No3 bustop I remember that incense stall being beyond over powering some nights and if I moved to the other end of the bustop then bin was usually quite rancid especially in summer.

passenger likes this.
  9. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Those plus the meat and fish down Atlantic Road, especially first thing in the morning during deliveries.

10. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Really useful set of massive images for a thread about the smell of Brixton.

Thanks for that.

alcopop likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Stop being a twat please and stop attempting this really dull cross thread nonsense.

12. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Fried chicken

13. ricbake

ricbake working out how

It is unfortunately predominantly piss but there is still an occasional waft of ganga

14. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Incense definitely, not so much popcorn because it's arrived since I regularly lived there... That particular smell of slightly rotting Market at the end of the day too which used to lie under the drifting incense outside Iceland.

15. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

chlorine from the pools in Brixton rec when using beehive place as a cut thru to station road.

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some more twitter responses: