What should I do with Kiwi who has never been to London before?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Mrs Miggins, Jun 18, 2019.

1. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I like the idea of the beer mile tbf :thumbs:

2. spitfire

spitfire Toast

If they are a skater pop in to House of Vans as well if near Southbank, 5 arches converted to a skaters paradise. Not forgetting Leake Street graff tunnel on the way.

I know a few craft beer people and the Beer Mile is all a bit "stag do" according to them now but they're hipsters so...

edit; actually even if you aren't a skater it's worth popping in to HoV, it's one of those weird places that people love to find when in a strange city and they always have an art exhibition on as well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

the boris johnson memorial cable car
    london eye at sunset

Badgers likes this.
  4. spitfire

spitfire Toast

My 6 year old loves the cable car...I kind of like it as well. :oops:

She doesn't like Johnson though. She saw him on the debate last night and said he looks like Donald Trump and isn't nice.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    8ball, Pickman's model and marty21 like this.
  5. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree I care not for the wealth of Gyges

If I remember right the number 24 is a good sight seeing route but so are most of the bus-routes that go through the middle of London.

6. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

They've got a Metallic theme this week

7. spitfire

spitfire Toast

They do. I'm going down tomorrow before the gig. \m/ :cool:

Nivag likes this.
  8. Pickman's model

yeh the route it takes from tottenham court road up to south end green particularly attractive, a good way to see camden town

Badgers likes this.
  9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Southbank/Tower Bridge.
    Westminster/Whitehall, Traf Sq
    Take the tube
    Ride a double decker
    Camden market
    Free art gallery (if they're into that)
    Soho, Chinatown, Piccadilly Circus
    One of the parks.
    Borough Market (or one of the others)
    Go to a nice pub

Avoid Oxford Street, Madamme Tussauds, and Buckingham Palace.

10. Pickman's model

dk if that advice is in the guidebooks but it should be

Badgers likes this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag member

12. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

13. hash tag

hash tag member

If down Greenwich way, our visitors really enjoyed this Up at The O2 Up at The O2 Climbs

14. hash tag

hash tag member

It's free at least
    Museum

15. Pickman's model

SECRET SMOKEHOUSE - fish curers & smokers from East London LONDON CURE

16. Pickman's model

you can visit them Mrs Miggins and see kippers being smoked :cool: what greater experience could your antipodean friend have?
    upload_2019-6-19_14-7-20.png

Badgers and Puddy_Tat like this.
  17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Do take him to Oxford St. Give him the slip in the throngs. Get on with your life with no needy Kiwi to bother you.

18. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

The bit where you soar over the waste processing sites on the north side isn't the only highlight.

spitfire likes this.
  19. what

what Well-Known Member

DLR bank to Royal Victoria off peak and pretend to be the driver.
    Then Cable car over to other side of river.
    Then get a commuter ferry upto Blackfriars and enjoy the south bank

20. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Well if you're near the Barbican or Smithfields this is the best spot for any tourist in London. Up on one of these concrete walkways, would you believe it, you can see the entire history of London from Roman to present. Then of course if you can exit the Barbican complex, complex being the word, you're near Cloth Fair and St Bartholemew's and the oldest house in London. :cool:

hash tag likes this.
  21. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

Take them up the OXO

skyscraper101 and spitfire like this.
  22. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Well he was the most ungrateful and tedious guest I have ever had the displeasure of hosting :(

He didn't give me any clues about what he might be interested in and seemed somewhat unimpressed by anything I showed him. He didn't even send me a thank you after he'd got on the train back up north. Just got on the train and texted me to tell me he'd managed to find a seat.

I'm quite pissed off at the whole thing. Hopefully he never leaves New Zealand again.

23. hash tag

hash tag member

Bloody kiwi's; thats gratitude for you. :D

24. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Fucking hell! :D Mate.

Proper LOL. :D

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  25. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Ungrateful shit. We had someone like that for over 2 weeks, last year. Still traumatised by it!

marty21 and Mrs Miggins like this.
  26. Mrs Miggins

It's just him. He's clearly a dick.

27. Mrs Miggins

At least I didn't bother cooking the fancy chicken I'd bought from Borough Market for him. I was so fucked off with his behavour by Saturday evening that there was no way I was roasting an expensive, free-range, organic bird for him. That little blighter's in the freezer now to be enjoyed by me at a later date :D

28. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Hope you enjoy the chicken in due time, MrsM, Forget him, he sounds a right wastrel.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  29. Mrs Miggins

Actually I need to vent a bit more about this.
    He was originally coming to King's Cross Friday evening and I was meeting him at 6pm. He texted mid afternoon Friday to say that his "meeting" (which I never got to the bottom off) was running late and he had to stay in Cambridge after all that evening. Which was fine.

Then 8pm (whilst in my dressing gown eating a vast bowl of noodles), I get a text saying that he can't find any accomodation and can he come after all on a late train. So I said fine (although it's not really fine ;) ). Then he texts again saying he's found somewhere to stay after all and that he'd get a train to London around 11am on Saturday and would text me when he's on the train. Fine!

So Saturday comes. 11am passes...12 o'clock passes...1pm passess....1:45pm I get a text "I'm on the train and will be at King's Cross at 2:30pm. I had a look round Cambridge market" - FFS! I'm getting really cross now :mad:

Saturday walking round London is ridiculous given his lack of interest in anything.
    Saturday evening is a takeaway and his choice of movie on Netflix. He spends most of the time watching the film texting someone else.

Sunday morning we get up, I make coffee and breakfast. We make a plan to go to the Science Museum. I get in the shower and then give him a clean towel so he can get a shower and get ready to go. He then proceeds to spend 40 minutes just talking in the phone to someone.

He's lucky I didn't stab him at that point.

Riklet, marty21, Rutita1 and 2 others like this.
  30. hash tag

hash tag member

As if you had not had your fill of kiwi's :facepalm::eek:
    I have to say, my experience (s) with a couple of kiwi's could not be further from that ;)

Mrs Miggins likes this.