What paintings / artists impact you and why?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Ladystardust, May 17, 2019.

1. Ladystardust

Ladystardust New Member

I’ll start, white canoe by Peter Doig, I love it.

So other worldly and complex I don’t even know where to start looking at it. It sold for a ridiculous amount at auction (millions) and in my opinion he is the greatest living artist I know of.

Heavily influenced by guaguin in some of his other work.

[​IMG]

Nikkormat, Yu_Gi_Oh and tommers like this.
  2. Ladystardust

Ladystardust New Member

Some more by Doig I like:
    Blotter
    [​IMG]

Red boat - imaginary boys (pure guaguin!)
    [​IMG]

dessiato, Lupa and Argonia like this.
  3. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I saw a great Peter Doig exhibition at the Secession in Vienna recently. I had only vaguely heard of him before but was really impressed, particularly with his use of colour.

Ladystardust likes this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato Fuck Xmas baby I've got the blues

I like this:

edwardhoopersummertime.jpg

Summertime, Edward Hopper. Much less well known than his Nighthawks but, in my opinion, much better. As with many of his paintings there's a sadness, a loneliness, about it. The woman, his wife was his muse, is looking out for someone, perhaps her lover, who is late. It's summer, so she's dressed in a light dress against the heat which the breeze is not dissipating. She's put on her pretty black shoes because she wants to make an impression. Hopper uses shades of black to create a bow on them. The bows can only be seen in the painting because the colours are so subtle. Hopper was a master at painting shade and light. This picture shows that he could also use colour effectively.

I'm drawn to the movement of the net curtain in the window, and the way the breeze moves it.

I fell in love with this painting when I saw it at Tate Modern I think. I stared at it then, and, although I haven't seen it "live" since then, I still am entranced by it when I see prints and reproductions.

Ponyutd, QueenOfGoths, oryx and 3 others like this.
  5. Ladystardust

Ladystardust New Member

I can feel feel how much you love it from that explanation, it’s a beautiful painting. I have two prints of his, not sure what they’re called but will post them later. One is of a woman in the cinema and i absolutely loved it the moment I saw it.

6. Ladystardust

Ladystardust New Member

This is it, Edward Hopper - New York Movie. He does light and loneliness to perfect.

[​IMG]

oryx, dessiato and fishfinger like this.
  7. dessiato

All the women are his wife. Apparently she was a bit off about him painting other women so he just painted different versions of her.

His use of light and loneliness is in all his paintings.

He started as a draughtsman of sorts which is where he got his talent for such wonderful paintings of buildings.

8. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

I like that too but I dont see her as lonely....but perhaps melancholic? She works there...is in uniform. And is waiting for the film to end or perhaps the interval.
    His paintings are in my perception a revelation of American life in a certain era that is now long gone. Snapshots in time with atmospheric nostalgic melancholy.

dessiato likes this.
  9. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Two Comedians.
    download (1).jpeg
    He loved cinema and theatre so it was fitting in a way that it was his last painting. With his wife at his side...

dessiato and Ladystardust like this.
  10. Ladystardust

Ladystardust New Member

This is another painting I love by Cezanne, this was his gardener taking a break apparently - The Gardener Vallier, a real sense of peace about it :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Lupa likes this.
  11. dessiato

If not lonely certainly bored and just waiting for the shift to end.

Lupa likes this.
  12. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I like this fella. Don't know much about him but there's something about it. Plenty of examples on his twitter feed.